GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: bigger bite
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
first pass at making this into a larger canvas .. not happy with the fact it didn't remain as abstract in quality as I'd like but I think the bigger size should bring some of the abstractness back ..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
likes and dislikes please

bocote
10-13-2003, 04:04 PM
dislikes: no solid wayne type debth on snow. sky will be better on large one, trees in background (next to sky) are very linear while foreground is not so linear, everything feels vertical or horizonal and not much in the middle.

likes: good composition, good selection of hues, strong technique, good tree form, your ability to make paint move on the canvas, debth of the darks in the red trees in background.

thats about all of the major things I see.

Paintonbrush
10-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Good contrast wayne....more solid decisions made with each brush stroke. :clap:

mcknight
10-13-2003, 08:06 PM
I like this one a lot. The colours are strong and forms are crisp. The warms and colds of the snow are handled very well.

roberj
10-13-2003, 11:27 PM
I like the snow and the foreground tree, but the trees beyond are too monolithic. Nice color throughout.

Bob

artbybradgreek
10-14-2003, 12:13 AM
I agree with Bob, Love the snow and trees in the foreground, looks very cold...really like the effects of the snow. Brad

My Website (http://www.artbybradgreek.com)

Alan Cross
10-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Good job nice textures and always like your knife stokes..
Alan :)

boopie
10-14-2003, 12:39 AM
Love the snow...:cool:

eponaluna
10-14-2003, 12:48 AM
God, I love the snow. I can almost imagine hearing it crunch as you walk into this scene... Kind of lost on the background trees, they need more detail or something...I only know that they are trees because I know trees would be the natural thing to see in that place in this scene. It might be good to cool the color in them down a little too...might add to the mood of the piece. Did I mention that I loved the snow? Almost makes me miss Michigan...almost ;)
Cara
Oh, yeah...one more thing.................nice snow :clap:

persim
10-14-2003, 01:10 AM
Like others on this, just looking at it make me freeze, and bet you I know what it's like living at 71 deg north!!!

:clap: :clap:

designditz
10-14-2003, 01:38 AM
I like this one alot.. like the empty space..and love the snow.. looking forward to the big one!

lorelou
10-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Not too loose and not too tight, has more of a solid feel......ahhhhh...that's good!:clap:

PS: DON'T CHANGE A THING

Wayne Gaudon
10-14-2003, 08:49 AM
thank you all .. I have decided to use this model with a little twisting and pinching and squish it into the horizontal .. if I can pull it off I think it will be my next giant step forward .. busy with doing baseboard and trim in my wife's little study for the next day or so but I do hope I can squeeze this in real soon as I am excited with the possibilities. Again, thank you all very much.

PS .. yes, the tree line needs to be blended into the sky so they weave in and out.

Andrew Rance
10-14-2003, 09:10 AM
The contour and lighting of the snow sitting on the tree bark is exceptionally good, and the sculpted effect of the snow on the ground is gorgeous. Not so keen on the background trees, though (for reasons I can't define).

impressionist2
10-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Wayne, The red trees cutting across is a great abstract effect.

The lightness of the snow in the distance is taking away from the socko impact of the detail of the foreground tree, and pulling my eye back there.

Otherwise, Great snow!

Didn't see it till just now, but the sky brushstrokes are vertical. Pretty clever if intended.

Renee

pero lane
10-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I like the starkness of the large tree and of course the snow is incredible...I'm not sure about the same height of all the trees on the right.:)

Andrew
10-14-2003, 01:05 PM
I like this version too. The foreground tree grabs the attention more than the other version. On the other hand, it lacks the same depth and appearance of grand scale. Both are very good, and I would hang either on my wall (my litmus test of art).

Andrew