Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
One of my first paintings (I'm a noob).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments are welcome.

dgford
09-01-2015, 08:07 AM
This has potential.
The horizon is only 20% of the way up meaning that 80% is of the sky. So make that sky it interesting and really eye-catching!

The two avenues of trees lead us to a totally blank area. They are somewhat too regularly spaced with very little change in the thicknesses of branches. More variety needed.

Geoff

La_
09-01-2015, 12:07 PM
lovely sky
nice, flat water
good shrinkage of trees for perspective
lively red action to break up the calm

the 'whitecaps' seem a little over the top for such a calm scene, tho they could be small ice floats, which would make more sense with the title. if so, i'd vary the size/shape of them so they're not confused as whitecaps.

sign this one and move on, but try another with the closest tree being quite tall, into the sky and maybe even off the page tall, and maybe with some land for them to root to, it's a little odd that they're all in water, which means death to most trees and perhaps that's the point, cold, pretty death.

another minor compositional 'error' here is sharing the focal point, splitting my vision in half by placing equal trees on either side - putting a bit in the centre and/or putting more on one side than the other helps eliminate my eyes playing ping pong with the scene.

anyway, overall, nice, sign it, do more

la

jessw
09-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Speaking in terms of composition, I feel that the piece lacks unity and variety. You have created two distinct visual elements in this piece, each bearing equal weight, with no clear focal point. There is no element of unity between the two units. Just something you may want to consider for next time.

My favourite part of the piece is the sky. Nice job on that.