PDA

View Full Version : PastellFix - Hahnemühle - Anyone tried?

Mettaphorica
08-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Hi all
has anyone tried this paper? A local supplier has it on special but before I spring for it, I was just wondering if there are any opinions. There are no reviews on Blick, so maybe it's still too new?
All opinions appreciated,
thanks
cheers
Donna

robertsloan2
08-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Donna, I haven't tried it but I'd love to find out more about it! i've used Hahnemuhle velour paper but not the Pastelfix or their unsanded pastel paper. i hope you try it and I hope you get some answers!

I've been tempted but short on budget lately.

SarahM
09-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Coincidentally I recently bought some of this paper and had a play with it (just doing an exercise, not a full painting) for the first time this morning. It does not grip the pastel as well as my favourite, Clairefontaine Pastelmat, but I think it is better than, for instance, Canson Mi-Teintes.

There is a slight weave texture to the paper. There seems to be a slightly grippy coating on one side but not the other; the other side is more like Canson MT, without any coating. The paper is attached to the pad at both the top and bottom, sort of like a partial watercolour paper block. I just removed a sheet from the pad to tape it to my board.

The sheet I tried was a cream colour. There are two sheets each of the cream, a nice sand colour, a dark blue-grey, two shades of warm grey, and a near-black or anthracite shade. The colours are quite nice IMO. Rather than being completely solid they are a bit mottled like marled fabric, but this isn't extreme. I don't have much experience with pastels and of course it depends on what kind of paper you like. I simply can't get along with Canson MT, and Colourfix is a bit more textured than I like. I like something with tooth but not too much texture, like Pastelmat. This has more texture but less tooth than Pastelmat, if that makes sense. :clear:

Hopefully you can see the texture in this scan.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2015/121186-orange.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.