PDA

View Full Version : Dancer1

catechase
08-30-2015, 04:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-30-2015/1974552_rsz_1cam06763_1_2_(2).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dancer1
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Ok, so I am a senior at a university majoring in art education. I am in a senior exit class where the final will be works displayed in a gallery for a senior exhibition. I have to create 10 works and a few of these works will make it into the show. This is the first piece I have been experimenting with.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My theme was going to be dancers in various pose with geometric or organic shapes. I wanted to have the shapes overlapping the forms. My question is; 1. what is your opinion of this piece, is it good enough to be part of a senior exhibition? 2. Is the concept crappy? Should I go back to the drawing board? Thanks Everyone!

UnknownArtist
08-30-2015, 04:49 PM
"My theme was going to be dancers in various pose with geometric or organic shapes. I wanted to have the shapes overlapping the forms. My question is; 1. what is your opinion of this piece, is it good enough to be part of a senior exhibition? 2. Is the concept crappy? Should I go back to the drawing board? Thanks Everyone!"

I like the concept a lot. For me it needs some depth. It does not look like a finished work. She seems to be floating in the air. I do like the concept for the series, very much so!

Bevahlee
08-30-2015, 07:00 PM
excellent figure study and good beginning. I think you need to show how you mean for the figure to be involved with the diagonals. Here's one idea but it could go lots of ways. I just sort of mopped this in, it could be done this way but tightened up

coloradoLiz
09-01-2015, 01:21 PM
I agree, work with the diagonals so they become an integral part of the dialog between the dancer and the lines. For a realistic spin, the diagonals could be bars in a "S" or oval but give it some perspective instead of them all the same size, color and emanating from the upper left corner. I could envision her trying to escape through these "bars". Or just simply dancing around them.
Many different ways to approach. Maybe even consider a series. Different dance poses, different diagonals. Just some thoughts...

Dana Design
09-03-2015, 12:02 PM
The form of the dancer is very good. Be careful that you don't over do what you originally had. Adding more "stripes? Not a good idea. Less is more.