PDA

View Full Version : Mountains

ablack2008
08-29-2015, 11:15 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-29-2015/1974853_11954653_10153076429005267_77899921372682357_n.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mountains
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Other
Dimension: 14x11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It's painted on a poster board and I hope to replicate it onto canvas.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you have any tips or advice?

UnknownArtist
08-30-2015, 04:52 PM
I am not sure what I am looking at other than the suspended mountains?

Andrewcody
09-01-2015, 02:27 AM
Hi, are you working from a reference at all?
Regards
Andrew

dgford
09-01-2015, 07:51 AM
(a) Your picture is split in half --- not a good idea.
(b) Compared to the surf wave, your "mountains" are "rocks".
(c) The surf wave is static and not impelled by ocean movement.
(d) Much more careful tonal control required from background to foreground.

Reorganise with those points in mind and your picture will come together.
Geoff

maryinasia
09-01-2015, 08:11 AM
I like the shadows and depth on the mountains

Dana Design
09-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Perhaps varying the heights of the mountains would make them look more realistic.

Look at photos of water to see how it flows and also for the color..

HRobinson
09-03-2015, 03:23 PM
It's all there and just because of that, there's not one thing wrong with it.

ablack2008
09-06-2015, 01:52 AM
Thank you all! It's from my own imagination I guess you could say. Should I make the mountains smaller to put it back more for perspective? I don't know what I'm doing except picking a brush up and painting lol.

ablack2008
09-06-2015, 02:03 AM
(a) Your picture is split in half --- not a good idea.
(b) Compared to the surf wave, your "mountains" are "rocks".
(c) The surf wave is static and not impelled by ocean movement.
(d) Much more careful tonal control required from background to foreground.

Reorganise with those points in mind and your picture will come together.
Geoff

split in half? i don't understand.

Should I move the mountains "back" by making them smaller or make the wave smaller?

how do I add more movement?

Please use lay-mans terms as I just started painting in the last two weeks lol

cjorgensen
09-07-2015, 01:57 AM
Since you are a beginner, I think it is a good start. We all were beginners at one time. Wet canvas has an image reference library under "contents". Dig around through that and find a reference. Most of us here (like 99.9%) use references. Then you can see what the mountains and waves really look like and you will be able to draw them better.

For me, when I paint, first I take my own photo so that no one can accuse me of stealing their work. Then I put it on photoshop and I tweak it until I like it: stronger colors and contrasts, lighter shadows, etc. Then, when it is just right, (now this is a secret, don't tell anyone), I get a black and white copy of it that is the exact size of my canvas, and I rub charcoal all over the back, I tape it onto my canvas and trace it. Then I have the outline of the photo on my canvas. All my perspective problems are solved.) I CAN draw, but this saves me hours of time. At this point, many people do an under-painting all in brown, so that it looks like a black and white picture, but in brown. When that dries, then you paint on top of that. You have a perfect map of all the lines and all the lights and darks, and then you just paint the correct colors on top. Some people skip the brown under-painting and it still works. Try doing a painting from a photo reference and see what happens. :)

Jules Hilliard
09-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Seascapes are a bit harder to do (right) than most people think. Think of the sea as a moving living thing. It's always in motion. Also, go to you tube and watch the videos of other artist. You can learn quite a lot there. And yes, keep on painting.

Jules Hilliard
09-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Seascapes are a bit harder to do (right) than most people think. Think of the sea as a moving living thing. It's always in motion. Also, go to you tube and watch the videos of other artist. You can learn quite a lot there. And yes, keep on painting.
SPLIT IN HALF means that the painting is split in half on the horizontal plain. One should never split a painting in half either way. Also never put the subject in dead center. Look up "The Rule of the Thirds."

ablack2008
09-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Ok, thanks everyone!!!!

wcman6000
09-08-2015, 11:05 PM
[quote=

For me, when I paint, first I take my own photo so that no one can accuse me of stealing their work. Then I put it on photoshop and I tweak it until I like it: stronger colors and contrasts, lighter shadows, etc. Then, when it is just right, (now this is a secret, don't tell anyone), I get a black and white copy of it that is the exact size of my canvas, and I rub charcoal all over the back, I tape it onto my canvas and trace it. Then I have the outline of the photo on my canvas. All my perspective problems are solved.) I CAN draw, but this saves me hours of time.[/quote]

I do the same thing with my watercolors but I grid it first I draw a grid on the 8X10 photo then make a grid in the size I want the painting usually 1 1/2 " squares by making it out of thread taped to the edges of the paper
I copy each square with a 6H pencil and remove all the thread before painting. Works great!