PDA

View Full Version : Perfection (Alba)

Batsielicious
08-29-2015, 10:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-29-2015/1428823_alba_800px.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Perfection (Alba)
Year Created: 2015
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 41 x 33 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
At the time this was my most ambitious project in a medium still new to me. I feel the digitising process made the branch look flat and not very tree like which I can't really help anymore. I am however pleased with the light effects behind the white feathers and the shine and contrast this provides.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like comments on the composition and technical execution. If there's something that looks "off" I'd like to know that too.

Since this is a new medium to me that I'm just how lea<br>ing I'd like to know if I'm making any obvious mistakes.

Batsielicious
08-29-2015, 10:13 PM
I was actually trying to submit to the structured critique forum, but the form wouldn't let me do so and no matter which option I chose it sent me to the open critique instead. :/

karenlee
08-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Before I read your piece about Alba on your website, I was disturbed by the harness. Now that I know what it is, I guess it's OK if it's just for trips outside. But it looks a bit odd on this darling bird's lively and light-filled portrait.
Alba's perch is very dark and I can't make out the feet due to all the dark values...maybe it's my monitor.
Still, all in all, it's a portrait that shows spirit and softness.

Batsielicious
08-31-2015, 07:11 AM
Yeah the harness is actually very positive, because with it he is able to come outside. Some people trim primary wing feathers (which eventually grow back) to limit flight but we don't do that. I included the harness because I am so proud of him for getting used to it enough that he can join us outside. Plus, it was there in the reference photo.

The branch isn't quite so dark in the actual painting... Maybe I should lighten it up for the digital version a little bit.

Andrewcody
09-01-2015, 02:32 AM
I prefer seeing the crested cockatoos flying about free outside my door.

Batsielicious
09-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Yes I would no doubt enjoy seeing them as well, but can we stick to the technical aspects of my painting? I posted this in order to hopefully improve my work.