GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rachael
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My friend isn't allowed to have photos of his family in his office, it's a gov't office. So his girlfriend asked me to do a drawing of her, it's not a photo and so he can have it...

I decided to make her into a mermaid just for kicks, and I thought it extra funny to include the fact that she has a cool tattoo and is a chain smoker.

This is the first time I've touched my color pencils since art school, nearly ten years ago. Not my bed medium by far but good in a pinch. I added the name near the end as I realized it needed some balance and I'm a sucker for Art Nouveau though my regular paintings don't let me indulge in it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm more interested in comments on compostion, the actual drawing, anatomy, everything but color, which I know could be done better. Does anyone think it should have been inked? Rachael herself liked the pencils so she didn't want me to ink it, but I may go back and ink it in Illustrator for my own portfolio.

Phunkie
10-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Forgot to mention, I was going for a 50's pin up girl feel. Before I thought of the mermaid, I wanted to make her a greasy but sexy mechanic, as she's quite handy with cars.

Rabbit Twilight
10-13-2003, 02:34 PM
You really got the effect you were after. I like it.

Helen Zapata
10-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Outstanding! Has he seen it yet? I think the entire thing works perfectly!

Helen

Phunkie
10-13-2003, 03:02 PM
Yep, he's seen it. I actually did it about two months ago, but only recently got to borrow it back to scan. I'd finished it 5 minutes before he got home from work and she gave it to him, so once I was done I didn't have time to really look at it. This is the first time I'm getting to look at it with fresh eyes and just wanted to hear some opinions.

designditz
10-14-2003, 02:48 AM
Hi, i am a mermaid fan.. nice job! I would ink it myself.. really make her POP! Fun cool stuff!

Phranque
10-14-2003, 08:16 AM
What a fun portrait.
It must be real pain in the dorsal fin to keep that cigarette lit with those waves.

clowe
10-14-2003, 03:52 PM
I think it works well as it is, although inking it may make it stand out more. Thr proportions are spot on. It's definately a groovy pin-up for the old office stalls. Cheers.

sandcastler
10-29-2003, 06:49 AM
I like how you added the webby fins to her tail and arms, and webbed her fingers....would be cool to show those more. I'm sure your friend loves it and his coworkers lust after it!

jerryW
10-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by clowe
I think it works well as it is, although inking it may make it stand out more. Thr proportions are spot on. It's definately a groovy pin-up for the old office stalls. Cheers.
how did you get her exposed parts so nice?
those wacky fins are true fish!

Phunkie
10-29-2003, 09:40 AM
I guess the years of nude figure drawing stuck with me. In the reference photo I used she was wearing a cap-sleeved t-shirt.

And the fishy parts are just made up. =)

Michael
12-05-2003, 04:24 AM
I like it, seems very retro to me. And since typing what my idea was would take too long i will just post a manip. I hope you don't get too mad at me for this one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2003/31740-29359_raewc.jpg