PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo and Yorktown Onions

N2design
08-26-2015, 06:34 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-26-2015/445941_Bamboo___Yorktown_Onions.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bamboo and Yorktown Onions
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This wild onion is known here in Historic Yorktown Virginia as the Yorktown Onion. It is not native to America. Legend has it that the seeds came here during the Revolutionary War mixed with crop seeds or fodder. Anyway, Yorktown loves this beautiful plant so much it is protected by law!

The photo looks a bit hazy.

I can't cut them, but perhaps I can paint them!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Would love feedback on composition, value and overall appeal of this painting.

Dana Design
08-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Looks quite fine to me albeit a bit washed out but that could be the photo. The back foliage is very nice as is the rendering of the bamboo. Around here, we call those Allium flowers. As you only have 4, you might want to add a 5th larger bud in the lower right. Usually, odd numbers are more pleasing compositionally.

jessw
08-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Nice job on this. I won't comment on the composition because I am still learning a great deal about the subject and am quite inexperienced in that area myself.

I would certainly hang it on my wall :)

karenlee
08-29-2015, 05:25 PM
The most impressive aspect to me is how you nailed the globe shape of the Allium. Super job! I would not have thought it could be done that well-- there are some of these in my garden and I have never even considered using them as models...those things have such a complex structure...

coloradoLiz
09-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Your main point of interest (the 3 blossoms) seems to placed directly in the middle of the work. Off center is better and let the rest of the composition support and point to it.
Also vary your greens from front to back. Warmer colors in foreground, to cooler, bluer greens in the back ground for more aerial perspective.
Also, fade the fence railings as they approach the edges so your eye isn't pulled off the page.
Otherwise, good composition!

lunchbox
09-02-2015, 04:05 PM
On my computer it shows nice depth. Interesting story about the subject. Lots of ideas to consider already mentioned. Maybe have one or two of the stems going behind or through the fence to tie them a bit more into the painting.