PDA

View Full Version : High Quality Screen-print ink

matt scarlett
08-22-2015, 07:44 AM
I want to print on paper, and all I can find is Speedball and Permmaset. Are there some real quality inks available, or is that my lot?

winking cat press
08-22-2015, 10:50 AM
If you live where I do, that's not a bad selection. All you can find here is Speedball. BUT all is not lost, since you don't really need to have "screen-print ink" to screen print. There are a lot of alternative materials that screen quite nicely onto paper. In my earlier "protest poster" years, I used plain old house paint for the bulk of my work..... and it worked well. So does oil paints that artists use, except that it takes a while to dry.

matt scarlett
08-22-2015, 11:19 AM
So does oil paints that artists use, except that it takes a while to dry.

^^And a bit more involved in the clean up. Thanks for your suggestions. I was going to ask about oil paint.

I was watching this, and wondered what paint is being used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba_fy_laJzk

I've got some Caligo relief ink which i like for a quite clean up and i like the quality. I suspect for a multi-colour print waiting for an oil paint to dry could become timely and frustrating as for the different drying times between colours.

For that reason, I'm semi attracted to speedball and the like, as i feel drying times would be a matter of minute-hours rather than days. I want quality prints. Maybe I should look into the likes of Golden or Liquitex acrylics and mediums.

I was worried about the thickness of alternative mediums, and possible clogging of the mesh.

winking cat press
08-22-2015, 11:02 PM
I've used acrylic for silkscreens a number of times..... and it does work well, IF you make sure to clean your screen regulalry. if you don't, it tends to clog up the screen.

karenlee
08-28-2015, 09:28 PM
At one point I mixed my own screen printing inks using dry pigments and Bocour's Magna clear. Magna was an acrylic resin artist paint that is no longer made. Today I would use Gamblin solvent-free gel medium and either oil paint or dry pigments. This particular medium is an alkyd so it is faster drying than conventional oil paint. But, as WCP mentioned, you gotta clean your screen right away.

bridog
08-30-2015, 11:51 AM
I haven't tried the Golden acrylics but I understand from other professional fine art screen-printers it's a good way to go. I believe I once saw something online (a modifier of some sort) that could be added to artist's oils so they could be used for silkscreen. But believe perhaps this was Golden and perhaps it was a modifier to adapt their tube or jar acrylics?
Several years back I purchased some acrylic inks that worked well made by Jacquard. http://www.jacquardproducts.com/jacquard-screen-ink.html

Folio
08-31-2015, 01:26 AM
If it's Golden, their Open acrylics are the ones recommended for screen-printing because being slow-drying they are less likely to clog the mesh. I bought some with the intention of using them for screen-printing but didn't like the pasty consistency. Even for painting I'm not keen on them actually. The slow drying is not a problem with the thin film in a screen-print but I prefer the Speedball inks. They don't dry too fast and they're reliable and predictable, maybe I'm just used to them.

I have a book published in the UK that swears by Lascaux inks for screen-printing. Have never used them myself, no idea what they're like.

P.S. Those Jacquard inks bridog mentions look nice in the video.

matt scarlett
09-18-2015, 01:48 PM
I just like the range of colour and iridescent's that Golden and other Acrylics brands off.

Is Speedball a bad choice?

karenlee
09-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Offhand I'd say you get a far better range of colors and mediums with Golden than with Speedball; it pays to do your own colorfastness tests for the colors you'll need.