PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Uart sanded paper

SourCherry
08-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Has anyone tried removing pastel from Uart sanded paper (successfully)? I have several paintings I don't really like and don't want to throw paper away. What would be the best way to do it? Washing it off or vacuuming it :D (don't even know if that's possible)?

Devonlass
08-21-2015, 11:34 AM
I have done this several times by washing it in the sink, using a brush. You will always have a ghost of the previous image, but that soon gets covered up. I usually turn the cleaned sheet upside down to work on it again...( eg...previous sky is now on the bottom of new picture). It helps to dry the papers off as much as possible with a cloth of some description and then flatten it under a heavy object for a few days. This is one of the many things that I appreciate about Uart, it may be a little pricier than some, but the ability to reuse it makes it more cost effective.

SourCherry
08-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Thank you, Carol. I've just tried vacuum - no effect (as I expected). I did not think of using brush - just held paper under warm water from tap and found out that pastel paintings are indestructible :lol: not one little pastel particle came off (need probably to make a video for youtube for all those naysayers that think pastels are fragile and prefer oil paintings to them). I'm going to try it with brush tonight. When I was removing pastel from Ampersand pastelbord it was so much easier. I think 400 grit of Uart is to blame :D - I got too many layers in there with wet blending.

Devonlass
08-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Hmmm......did you use a lot of fixative between layers? I hardly ever use it, so maybe that would explain your difficulty.

SourCherry
08-21-2015, 04:20 PM
No, I never use fixative. Only OMS to blend first layers. Could be because I use mostly Rembrandts and they are not as soft as some other brands? I suspect when I put it under faucet, water pressure actually pushed pastel even deeper into the sanded paper :p (new technique for fixing pastel paintings) .
I think brush will help, it's just, I worry not to get any water on the back of the paper, i don't think it's treated with anything on the back to protect it from water damage. I really wish there was a combination of Uart grittiness/sandedness (i know it's not a word) and Ampersand pastelbord's support. That would be ideal.

Barbara WC
08-21-2015, 09:44 PM
SourCherry-

I've washed it off before too.

First, I take the painting into the yard and brush it off with a stiff oil painting bristle brush. Then it goes under the faucet.

Be careful about using the vacuum for cleaning up pastel dust- unless you have a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner, the dust will blow around and it's not that healthy to do so (Rembrandts don't use heavy metals, but you probably still don't want to create a "cloud" of fine particulates in the air).

The pastels do stain the paper a little bit, but after removing with a stiff brush and rinsing it, you should be able to reclaim the tooth of the paper.

Good luck!

SourCherry
08-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Thank you, guys - the brush plus faucet removed the pastel. Let me tell you, destroying pastel paintings is way more labour intensive than creating them (well, at least not as enjoyable). More reason to try and not mess up my painting next time :)

Barbara WC
08-23-2015, 12:32 AM
But messing up paintings is how we learn :)

Dharma_bum
08-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I used my shower massage wand in the bathtub, which did a good job, but the paper curled quite tightly, not sure how to counteract that.

Dan

allydoodle
08-27-2015, 10:00 PM
I used my shower massage wand in the bathtub, which did a good job, but the paper curled quite tightly, not sure how to counteract that.

Dan

Take the wet UArt paper and put it between paper towels and then stack heavy books on top. Leave until UArt dries flat. It works well.

Dharma_bum
08-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Take the wet UArt paper and put it between paper towels and then stack heavy books on top. Leave until UArt dries flat. It works well.

With books on top, and a flat surface below, where does the water go? Will it mold, or do you keep changing the paper towels? How long does this take?

Dan

Devonlass
08-29-2015, 03:52 PM
No idea Dharma.....but it works, I've done it many times although I use cloth towels and no mold has resulted. I usually leave it for a good while, at least a week and sometimes longer because I forget about it!

Dharma_bum
08-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Will give it a try.

Dan

linettalee
09-03-2015, 03:45 PM
All of the suggestions you have already received are great and will probably give you a usable surface for a new painting. I also have work that I do not wish to keep sometimes and I save these for future pieces on which I may want to use a ground to achieve textured surfaces. That way, the ground (Golden has several good pastel grounds) covers any remaining ghosts of the previous work.

Bill Foehringer
09-03-2015, 09:00 PM
I used a small fine brass-bristled (1/2" bristels) brush on wallis paper to remove pastel. I used a regular bristle brush too. Some of the dark values remained and light stains of other colors were common. The tooth was pretty cleaned out though.
Brushing off the pastel does remove the sharpest of tooth even when using milder methods. Pressed wallis between paper towels with flat glass to dry. I bought Wallis in roles so I was used to wetting the paper to remove the curl. Don't know about other papers yet.