PDA

View Full Version : Jessica loves pizza

catechase
08-17-2015, 07:49 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-17-2015/1974552_CAM06643_(1)_(2).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Jessica loves pizza
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece was made because I am currently in a college art class where the teacher would like us to submit work to an upcoming exhibition. The theme is; interpretation of food in "its broadest sense." I painted my friend Jessica who loves pizza. I thought about doing more portraits of people with their favorite foods covering their faces.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I haven't shown this to my teacher yet and was hoping to get some feedback before I do. It would be nice to know if the concept works or not, and also technical issues. I know I'm not the most amazing painter but I do my best. Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

catechase
08-17-2015, 07:58 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-17-2015/1974552_rsz_cam06643_1_2_(2).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Jessica loves pizza
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece was made because I am currently in a college art class where the teacher would like us to submit work to an upcoming exhibition. The theme is; interpretation of food in "its broadest sense." I painted my friend Jessica who loves pizza. I thought about doing more portraits of people with their favorite foods covering their faces.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I haven't shown this to my teacher yet and was hoping to get some feedback before I do. It would be nice to know if the concept works or not, and also technical issues. I know I'm not the most amazing painter but I do my best. Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

catechase
08-17-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry, I'm new to the forum. I accidentally posted twice while trying to resize the image. I cant find a way to delete the previous post so feel free to delete it anyone.

maryinasia
08-17-2015, 08:19 PM
fun! love it. She has a bit of a halo because of the brushstrokes around her head...is that just because of the glare?

catechase
08-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks, I thought it was kind of fun. Yes, I need to go in and repaint the black to cover the canvas all the way.

bvanevery
08-17-2015, 10:42 PM
It is very silly. I am inclined to read the pepperoni slices as eyes, which adds an interesting surreal grotesque to the silliness. Followup would be a series of Greek mythical creatures, such as the Cyclops, all adorned with pizza.

garyk
08-18-2015, 04:02 AM
Pizza just seems to be sort of stuck on there. Like I will paint a face and then i will paint a slice of pizza. I am not sure what you are trying to communicate. I rather like the painting of the female.

Mark Szymanski
08-18-2015, 05:39 PM
I think it is unfortunate to have the edge of her pony tail to be running on the same edge as the pizza. Too strong of a line to carry. The line running on the right side of her mouth horizontally is distracting.

just a couple of thoughts on this.

catechase
08-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys, good points!

Bevahlee
08-18-2015, 09:27 PM
I agree with both Mark and Gary. Placement of the pizza in relation to the pony tail, but also, it might have a shadow, as though it is flying past her face..even with the pastrami sliding up onto the crust...something to mean you intended it and thought it out.

Josephcow
08-21-2015, 10:34 PM
I actually think you could push the separation between her and the pizza even more. Make it even more graphic. It is kind of an avant garde idea after all. What if you had her portrait in a rather painterly style (which it is) and then had the pizza painted realistically as if it were a real pizza slapped onto the canvas?

I agree the tangent with the ponytail is pretty bad, but it's an easy fix. You could also push the colors further apart. The cheese and pepperoni kind of blend with her skin tone and red hair so it makes it look a bit odd.

bvanevery
08-25-2015, 09:57 PM
I do not agree with anyone else's critiques and suggestions. The painting is fine as it is, let it stand. I deliberately put visual oddities in my paintings and refuse to resolve various things, to make the viewer work his/her brain harder and get upset about something. The subtext of such a dialogue is, why are you upset if a pizza is on a canvas and not rendered photorealistically? Why do you care if the line of a pizza matches the line of a ponytail?