PDA

View Full Version : Passing the torch

ragman100
08-10-2015, 05:46 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-10-2015/976255_torch_passing.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Passing the torch
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting is of a sculpture at my Alma Mater. The sculpture is called Torch Bearers. I call it Passing of the Torch. The figure on the ground is a wornout exhausted senior passing the torch to a young energetic freshman. The nickname for the school is The Stone Mill and it fits.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Should the shadows be stronger? Does the flesh tones work? Is the torch too weak?

Bevahlee
08-10-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm trying to understand what I'm looking at. Looks like the rider has a head full of holes? and big breasts? And the strange head of the figure on the ground. Lots of it read very nicely with some good flesh tones, but that throws me.

Josephcow
08-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Hey, pretty good. I really like the colors in the background. But as with everything it can be improved.
the painting is entitled passing the torch, yet i can barely discern the torch from the background. The only way for this painting to work is if the torch is the highest value in the painting by far.

You can do this in oil as I did in digital, but it will take much longer. I would reccomend first glaze very dark over the entire image except for the torch. Then glaze darker still the background (not horse, rider, or man). 3rdly light up the torch in a more realistic way. Mine looks cartoony, but fire goes from red-orange, to orange, to yellow, to white. each step getting lighter. This is really the only way you can establish fire as your focal point. Otherwise the image won't read.

The anatomy of the rider is pretty off in the chest area. Just make the chest smaller basically. I tried to put in more feasible anatomy in my paintover, but it really comes down to drawing the poses more accurately.

There is a blatant lack of genitalia on the both the rider and the man on the ground. You definitely don't want to accentuate it, but when the crotch is completely exposed like that, it's impossible to avoid painting it. otherwise the guy on the ground kind of reminds me of gumby.

If you don't change anything else, please paint in their missing genitals!

Anyways overall looks pretty nice but again, I recommend the torch as a light source.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2015/1973604-torch.jpeg

bvanevery
08-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Sucks to be nekkid on a horse. Oh the burn marks! The subject is so gonzo I have little else to say. You've got an interesting concept, and it somewhat disturbs me the way the giant sculpture of 2 naked guys wrestling did at my own high school.