PDA

View Full Version : Using watercolor crayons instead of graphite

jenrou
07-03-2001, 07:19 PM
This maybe old news to some,,,but I drew on the back of my tracing paper sketch with water soluable crayons, then went over my sketch, transferring the sketch to watercolor paper.
The water soluable crayons left a tiny colored line, yet didn't wash away as easily as watercolor pencil. I could go over it again when I wanted it to disappear.
Sometimes I just draw on the watercolor paper with the crayons before I paint, but this leaves a larger line.
I don't always like the look of pencil marks on my watercolor and this seems to be better, so far.
You can use a color that goes with your picture.
I first got the idea from Don Getz, who draws directly on his gessoed surface with the crayons.
Jean

Javier
07-03-2001, 09:13 PM
Sounds like a good idea -- I think I might like to try this.

Thanks,

j

jenrou
07-03-2001, 11:00 PM
I forgot to mention that you can use a stylus to get the tiny line through the tracing paper. At first I scribbled all over the page with the water soluable crayons, but eventually just went over the lines on the back that I wanted to transfer.

MissMouse
07-04-2001, 07:20 AM
That sounds like a great idea, I just gave a box to my son as I did not like them. I think I will snatch them back and give this a try.

Rod
07-05-2001, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the tip Jean,
Will give it a try,
Rod.