PDA

View Full Version : Cafe michelangelo -august 2015

artbyjune
08-06-2015, 12:36 PM
My second attempt at posting this thread!!

My pc is having fun annoying me today. I had to reload Google Chrome.

This month we have a photo-paint-along project on water birds and also creatures from the Galapagos Islands.

There are lots of lovely photos to inspire painting/drawing/ collage etc.:clap:

I hope you will join in.:D

Recently, I have been enjoying working with caran d'ache wax crayons, non-soluble. I like the non-soluble as you can polish them with a cloth to a good shine. Also, you can use acrylics over them without destroying the crayon underneath. I've been using them to draw women mostly.

What have you all been doing- artwise- this month?;)

:wave:

Nickel
08-06-2015, 10:07 PM
So good to see this thread. Thanks June! Hi everybody!
I had to reload Chrome too!
Did the Window 10 update which caused a few hick-ups.

I've not worked on too much. I used my new water brush tonight and it cleans well, but I will have to use it more to learn to control it. It's a little on the wet side and I like my water color more on the drier side.

Also worked on a few abstract monoprints using acrylic paint.

I've gotten interested in a thing called a "junk journal" see youtube for tons of them, all sorts. Thought I'd make a few, one I will start on my garden here. The other one, inspirational quotes and a Bible devotional.

I finally learned what a tag is, but not sure I understand them. I've collected a few tags from items I have purchased to reuse/up-cycle.

Finally, have just been following along with a group that promotes using index card as a daily activity for 61 days (ICAD) creating something, not necessary something that one would keep or sell but something to inspire a creative self. That exercise is I believe in its fifth year. I didn't participate as it is over, but I kind of like the general idea, there are lots of people who did it.

Otherwise I'm thinking about Christmas!:)

And I am really enjoying learning about the Galapagos Islands.
As an artist, looking at pictures of places you've never been, you try to
understand exactly what you are seeing. You try to understand why what you see is there. You know artists really are scientists and explorers.

Are you still planning to do a journal page swap?

artbyjune
08-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Hi nickel! I am interested in junk journals after watching a few YouTube videos on them but I've never made one!

I've been in a few tag swaps and they are very good. I've had some brilliant art on tags from people.

I've done one art journal page swap...a single page swap 1 on 1 with an artist on Facebook. So I think I have a feel for how it works. Maybe we could do an art journal page swap here in September or October.

See you later!

Nickel
08-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Anytime is fine June for a swap. It's will be fun.

I have to say listening to those women make and show their journals is just crazy addicting. Lol.

artbyjune
08-10-2015, 10:39 AM
I did a page spread in a small art journal this morning. Theme of birds...not sea birds, however, rather they are the small chirpy garden visitors. I was trying out some bird-patterned tissue paper as a background, so not my art. I added a poem, which was my art. NB. Shop bought tissue paper!!:thumbsup:

Here it is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2015/106623-birdsongsc1a8k.jpg

I hope to print out some seabirds and galapagos animals this afternoon.

:wave:

Nickel
08-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Very nice and happy birds. I like the arrangement in your journal and your poem complements the birds. Cheery! It's nice to see these pages.

artbyjune
08-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Tissue paper is really good for collage. Some people use patterned napkins! You can also paint washes of acrylic colour on white tissue and then stamp images on it, if you don't have commercial patterned paper!

tyree
08-10-2015, 07:38 PM
june...thats really lovely...gorgeous birdies !!

I guess im not understanding what these journals are suppose to be about? Or is each page different...or is it all by a theme?

June, didnt you have a thread on tags at one time? Or am i thinking about the inchies ?
tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
08-11-2015, 02:18 PM
So Glad you posted those threads, June. I hope to snatch a few moments to do some art.

Journal pages are so energizing and some surprising things surface when I do them..especially when I don’t especially feel creative and just noodle around…..I too , love working with patterned tissue . The bird page is airy and light.

I’m all for a swap of any sort! I adore the inchies and any other small shapes too; or tags; ATC trading card format whatever - I just love art from my buddies.

I’ve not done much since our 3 summer trips……but henna. Henna at the coffeeshop last thursday for 4 hrs. Henna saturday last weekend for 5 hrs. and still friends did not get thru the line……so henna again at the coffeehouse this thursday…….but I LOVE IT - ABSOLUTELY. Here are a couple I freehanded. the one on the youngman’s back is a persona his girlfriend drew of him as a wolf. I work alot from images people bring up on their phones.

also that morning the cats were doing a perfect yin-yang. They laid there while I click, click, clicked from EVERY angle:D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2015/88676-fanghenna.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2015/88676-foxhenna.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2015/88676-catyinyang.gif

tyree
08-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Hi Robin !!!! those kittens in that pose is beautiful !!
Thats an interesting wolf design on the young mans back,,, is he wearing a dog collar?:eek::lol:....
I dont really know much about henna artists ...that one of the wolf alone looks like it is textured? Is it difficult to do? How did you get started? I have a tat on my right shoulder, a rose with an arrow thru it...my indian heritage...my great great great great great grandmother was Mary No Pee...lots of history....
Glad your back from all your vacationing !!!
Hi Nickel, June, Janet !!!
tyree:heart:

artbyjune
08-12-2015, 06:31 AM
Hi everyone!

Susan, on art journalling....its pretty wide in scope. Very flexible really.

I like to journal in books of different sizes so that I can choose a small one if I'm feeling like doing something quick, and choose a large on if I'm feeling like a more extended project.

I like to use them for various things:

1. Very useful if you have a problem you are trying to work on...you can write all your thoughts out in pencil ad then gesso over your page, add colour for a background, and then stick on collage items, or stamp or stencil, or doodle, until perhaps some kind of solution to your problem arrives, or at least until you've made a lovely art page!

2. Wishful thinking. I found this from effywild's moonjournalling site. Here you write on your page what you are grateful for in the last moon and then basically do the gesso and paint stages but hthis time you are working up to a page where you can add on lettering that presents your wish for the next month of your life!! This is cool to do. I've done it twice. (new moon and blue moon for July).

3. When you want to do art but cannot think what to do...get out a journal and start a background. Chances are by the time you've done a few layers of paint, stamps, collage and doodles, you've thought of some projects to do later!

4. try out new techniques...such as experiment with gelatos, or beeswax., etc

5. themed journals. More or less a project book. Often made for swaps.

6. travel journal

7. Inspiring quotes journal

and so on.

I think journals have a feel of a project about the page spreads, rather than a record of what you see about you which is more associated with the sketchbook.

There are sites which do weekly art journal prompts if you are stuck for inspiration. I joined Journal52 this year to have prompts so that I culd get into the swing of journalling and to get lift off into designing my own journalling projects.

Robin, I love your ying-yang tabbies. Henna produces lovely intricate body art. I've never had it done to me.

:lol:

artbyjune
08-12-2015, 06:33 AM
I don't think we've had a tag project here. We've had an inchies project!!

azulparsnip
08-30-2015, 10:48 PM
talking about journals......I started a daily Mandala journal......and I found these little 4X4 cardstock books for $1.00!!!! at a local closeout store.....The small size is unfortunate in a way but I keep it on my desk top and since it is small it is easy to pick it up and justify a little mandala for the day.......and it really does brighten the day.......here are a few recent ones.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2015/88676-man1.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2015/88676-man2.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2015/88676-Scan-2.gif

artbyjune
08-31-2015, 02:36 AM
Little notebooks are handy for keeping about the house! I love your mandalas.

tyree
09-01-2015, 06:14 AM
robin...these are fabulous,,,i really like the one with the peppermint pattie and green dragon circle...very cool !!! and great idea !!!
june...thank your for all the info about these journals, I think I would like to do a 'mini' journal, maybe only do 2.5 x3.5 in size 'only' ....this would be fun....tyree:wave: