PDA

View Full Version : Kit Aldridge

Dana Design
10-12-2003, 05:48 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-12-2003/29065_Kate_10-03.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-12-2003/29065_Photo_of_Kit.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Kit Aldridge
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
gargh! Let's have another go at trying to upload!

This is my first attempt at an oil portrait having been a watercolor portraitist for many moons.

I've attached the photo and this 2 yr old child is really very rosy-cheeked! I took an oil portrait class and the instructor taught color blocks rather than a more life-like blended form of portraiture. The parents wanted a "happier" portrait so I've complied.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please let me know how this can be improved. What do you "see"?
Thanks,
Dana D

roberj
10-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Pretty good overall. Would have been easier with a better photo. The neck is too full on the lift side and the collar would be better if it wasn't so round. I like the suggested patterning of the fabric print. The hair would present better if it were fuller to the shoulders. It is there in the photo, but the photo could have shown beter detail. That is my personal peeve with working from photos, they show details you would be better off ignoring and they drop details that you really need. This has the look of an early American miniature. Sweet face.

Bob

Dana Design
10-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Aha! You're right! I should go in and shade that neck a bit darker. She almost looks as tho' she has a growth of some sort. Hadn't noticed it before. Thanks! Same with the round collar and the hair.

I hate working from photos also but most of my commissions come via photo and from a fairly good distance away. Thanks so much for your critique. I needed that!
Dana D

Paintonbrush
10-13-2003, 12:02 AM
sweet darling little face....so bright and cheerful...
:clap: nice work