PDA

View Full Version : Pink Lilies

hippiechick7
08-03-2015, 10:22 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2015/1973830_lily-pink.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2015/1973830_pastel-lily.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pink Lilies
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
For my best friend who loves pink and blue.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I painted for the first time (at 53 years of age) at a wine-and-paint class. It was so much fun! I got a lot of compliments on this painting from friends/family but I am curious to find out how a stranger feels about my "art". I

Is it dumb that the background has no relation to the flowers? Have I done enough to show depth?

The first image is my photo reference.

TxArcht
08-03-2015, 11:57 PM
the turquoise background flattens out the composition since it is fairly monotonal. I think you should've mimicked the dark green out-of-focus background to emphasize depth. Also, the turquoise color is not as complementary as the green in the reference. Remember, green is the complement of red which would've created more contrast in your piece. Other than that, a pretty good recreation of a flower still life, especially for your first piece.

maryinasia
08-04-2015, 12:06 AM
She's going to love it. Cheerful. I like the color combination. You might want to tweak the yellow middle part of the flower in the foreground...the direction and shape of it.

Dana Design
08-04-2015, 12:33 PM
I would go with the green as seen in the reference photo. The turq does nothing for this at all. A bit of advice? Paint what you see...NOT what you think you see. And take your time in mixing your colors if you want to duplicate the photo colors.

Welcome to the world of painting! Take your time and enjoy it.

hippiechick7
08-05-2015, 11:08 AM
I appreciate everyone taking time to look and reply. I used the blue on purpose even though I know the green would make more sense. I guess I wasn't going for "realism", just wanted to make something pink and blue :-)

bvanevery
08-09-2015, 11:20 PM
It's fine. Imitating photography is not a goal. I'd be happy to give this sort of thing to my Mom for mother's day or something. Especially if I could bang it out in very little time. Not that she's not worth more... the last painting of her garden I did for her took 40 hours. Dad tends to get cheated on Father's Day as a result, he gets the 2 hour painting!