PDA

View Full Version : cow study

everelusive
08-03-2015, 04:05 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2015/1717646_IMG_20150804_15467.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: cow study
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 2030cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first representative artwork that has been painted entirely without a photo, it was a lot of fun.

I saw some cows while driving the other day, so I couldnt get more than a glance but I was really struck by the fact that they were basically just rectangles of earthy colour (much more variety than I have here) when viewed at a distance.

I have added chalk to the paint (chroma atelier) along with heavy gel to give extra bulk and to take the gloss (plastic, yuck) out.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested in all criticisms and advice, even just personal opinions.
Dont worry about pulling punches, I want to lea<br> as much as I can.

Thankyou in advance.

La_
08-03-2015, 07:46 PM
well, i see five bald eagles, one's a juvenile, one goose, a couple of hens, a pheasant and a young girl. the rest are cows.

:)

la

everelusive
08-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Lmfao.

Perhaps I should rename it "impressions of rorsharch"

maryinasia
08-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Love this

everelusive
08-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks Mary.

La_
08-04-2015, 02:31 AM
as soon as you said 'rectangles, i thought of ktusas work (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621404) he did some with sheep i think too, but this link is cows, check it out.

and thanks for having a good sense of ha ha =)

la

everelusive
08-04-2015, 03:37 AM
as soon as you said 'rectangles, i thought of ktusas work (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621404) he did some with sheep i think too, but this link is cows, check it out.

and thanks for having a good sense of ha ha =)

la

That piece by Ktusas is amazing and now I'm going to have to fight the urge to blatantly rib it off ( thanks :-p )

oldnmartist
08-04-2015, 10:29 AM
This reminds me I want to do a cow painting. I was driving by a field the other day in late evening, saw a herd of cows, and I was struck by how rectangular their bodies looked. I want to depict that.

fritzie
08-04-2015, 01:23 PM
I have seen a lot of cows grazing, but I think these are positioned at too much of an incline.

A cow is heavy and would, I think, have trouble holding these positions.

Even a large dog when positioned uphill would lower the front of its body to shift the center of gravity forward.

Pezzaroo
08-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Sorry, but this is a really bad painting.

everelusive
08-05-2015, 01:11 AM
Sorry, but this is a really bad painting.

Lol. Thanks.

La_
08-05-2015, 03:22 PM
assuming you're going to try this one again, it is a valid study and worthy of the proper brush. it rates a valid critique to help you along.

it's the triangular shapes that mess with it for me, all the talk of rectangles and there's not a rectangle in the bunch, what's with that? (okay, one white one in the lower area)

a favourite brush of mine is a 1/4 inch flat and it builds perfect rectangles
i also have an 1/8 inch flat, appropriate for 1/2 size cows or heads on full size cows i would think. a fine tip round for legs, tail, ears and eyeballs.

another valid messes with me item is the strong contrast, white heads. white patches i understand, but white heads, i've never seen it.

an finally, color ... If all the cows were just brown (lighter on sunshine top/darker on shadow bottom if you want to complicate it) and the shadows under them had a hint of purple (compliment to all the yellow in the green grass).

k, ugh, i just did a little experiment on my pallet and, low an behold, i too suck at tiny cow rectangles and have decided that your canvas is just too small. seems, in order to get anywhere near recognizable for cows, they must be at least 1.5 cm long, and that's on a smooth pallet surface so i'd say 2cm minimum on a canvas texture. see attached pic.

la

Andrewcody
08-05-2015, 07:14 PM
well, i see five bald eagles, one's a juvenile, one goose, a couple of hens, a pheasant and a young girl. the rest are cows.

:)

la

Same view from this end too, though no cows, perhaps they have gone over the hill.

vmrs
08-06-2015, 11:03 AM
If you like to paint small, come see us over in the mini forum. Heck I'll show how to paint a tiny cow.

By the way, this is really not that bad. The shapes are wrong but I can see where you meant to go with this.

Even though they don't look like cows if you had asked me this was without telling me it was cows, I would have said, it's a bunch of cows.

Not every painting needs to be perfect nor does every cow. And certainly the first cows you make are not going to look much like cows.

everelusive
08-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Thanks Vmrs.

bvanevery
08-09-2015, 11:08 PM
The cows are not what I object to. Cows "as a splotch of color and shape," well plenty of Impressionists did that sort of thing, right? Yeah maybe there are some bald eagles in there but as a group they're still cows, or can be.

It's their surrounding context that I object to. The hill. I'm thinking you focused on the cows (roughly, the figures) and not so much the environment they're in (roughly, the ground). But the environment is most of the painting. Even if the environment were only to get a cursory rendering, as you seem to have done, it could have greater contrast "in some way" with the cows. Color contrast, value contrast, whatever. That would make your group of cows more of an entity.

Jazzylady216
08-10-2015, 12:05 PM
The idea is good and I would just practice. It is difficult to paint from memory or fantasy, I think you need a few more rounds with the cows. :-)

If it would be me, I would first try to paint mini cows and get it right. Then I would practice the landscape until I get that how I like it and at the end put everything together in a new painting.