MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2015/26982_library02.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: alley facing west
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
getting crazy with my paint lately

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
looking for the usual, strengths and weaknesses

markr
08-03-2015, 02:50 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2015/26982-library02.jpg

silvenus
08-03-2015, 05:35 PM
very impressed its almost 3D. Think the greenery on the left could use a bit more
colour /detail

cordobesa
08-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Wonderful work! I have been trying to see something to improve, and it was difficult. I like the white car, but i don't see the detail in the other car and it is closer, maybe some detail there? I know it is your style but I would smooth the blue sky close to the shingles of the house, some more shadows to the greenery on the left? It is very nice as it is.

oldnmartist
08-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Very nice. I agree about the car. It captures too much attention with the dark colors, but I can't quite realize what I am looking at. Looks sort of like the back hatch is raised. You have a definite style though, and it is interesting.

Dana Design
08-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Leave it alone! It's fine just as it is, very painterly, almost an abstract of a city scene. My only nit is the perspective of the center building. The roofline and separaters between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels are too severe so much so that it looks like the building is leaning quite toward the back. Fix that and it's perfect IMHO!

Mark Szymanski
08-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Nice painting. I like the color scheme, the repeated shapes, the bright red of the taillights with the distant red in the alley echoing the color albeit at a lower chroma. The windows in the main building look like glass reflecting the sky. Nice use of the drops of paint across the alley and buildings to tie them together.

Some of the shapes I don't understand - the blue thing next to the tan car could be a trash bin, or it could be a car. Doesn't really matter, because the shape works as a low level item. It is just a part of the scene not an important part. Nice neutral foreground to lead you in, with some nice leading lines to help cross the foreground.

A minor quibble, I suppose, is the white along the roofline of the main building echoing the edge of the roof. In the photo, at least, it seems to needlessly echo the shape of the roof. The repeated shape of the in the nearby building is strong already. The vertical and horizontal lines are so strong, I find myself wishing for a few more curves to help balance it, but probably that is just me.

The slight lean in the foreground telephone pole is a nice touch. When perspective is off, I am usually greatly bothered, but not in this case... the overall impression is just that, an overall impression of this alley and a nearby surrounding area.

Very nice.

bvanevery
08-09-2015, 11:34 PM
The car ambiguity is the most interesting part of the painting, don't change it. The color tonality also seems to capture the heat of a day.