PDA

View Full Version : Colourfix vs fisher 400. Experiments

vhere
08-01-2015, 12:35 PM
I don't often use sanded papers but really liked the way cps behaved on the Fisher.

A friend who uses pastels a lot said she prefers Colourfix so I decided to try a sheet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2015/53888-image.jpg

This is a tiny try out with cps over watercolour on white Colourfix - which arrived damaged so I'm cutting it up into small pieces to experiment. ( had a refund so it's free)

First impression is, I like having the white BUT it doesn't grip layers of cp with anything like the intensity of the Fisher. Light or vivid over dark is nowhere near as clean and strong. It does erase well, drawing back in with an electric eraser though. It has a finer texture and so marks aren't as coarse .... Good or bad point for me? Not sure yet.

I will try pastel and pastel pencils on it too

Any preferences in your work?

DrDebby
08-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Thank you for posting your experiments. It's good to see what others can do with different papers. I've not tried either.

robertsloan2
08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Lovely experiment! I enjoyed colored pencils on Colourfix in the past. Tried them on the sample spinner and got lovely results but haven't tried them on Uart or Fisher yet. Wallis was too coarse for me.

Hmm... my favorite for colored pencils is Rising Stonehenge, not least of which that it's got an archival black. I love that paper. Also Canson Mi-Tientes, where I chose paper color to intensify the subject - a mossy verdant intimate landscape on green, a sunset on red, a nocturne on deep royal blue.

ClaireFontane PastelMat is a great surface too. I also like watercolor paper, especially the Stillman & Birn papers for it. Hot press doesn't always have enough tooth but that depends on the paper and how intense I'll get with layering. Stonehenge is so far the best for layering.

On pastels, I love variety. Each brand of pastels has favorite papers and each paper some favorite pastels. It really depends on what effect I want. I haven't experimented as much with colored pencil papers but I still love variety of paper color.

Oh! Colored pencils on soft rice paper, that's one of my all time favorites. I haven't found the rice paper I got in San Francisco again, though if I get strong enough and the elevator's fixed I might explore shops in Japantown. I got a lot of it at aJapanese Festival from a shop's booth and forget the name of the shop. It came in various soft ligh colors, pink, yellow, ecru, blue, green, white, tan. It didn't work as well with watercolor as I liked because it was insanely absorbent. But oh, with colored pencils it just gave a perfect texture, took so much color and absolutely glowed! I might try ordering some Japanese paprs from Blick to fnd out what the stuff was. They called it rice paper but it could have been mulberry or something else.

eyepaint
08-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Ooooh! Love the texture!!

vhere
08-05-2015, 04:27 AM
Oh I haven't used rice paper in years. A friend gave me some when she was doing a Chinese brush painting course it is insanely absorbent! But I can imagine cp being interesting on it :). Must find it :)

I've used Canson mi teintes and like it. Hate Ingres. Is pastel mat the velvety one? I don't like that finish if it is, as it is too blurry. I like to be able to use line in places. It's interesting to hear opinions and other papers. With these I was comparing the sanded papers as I like the way they grip colour and retain marks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2015/53888-image.jpg

This is a similar sized section from a recent hedgerow on Fisher to compare. See how cleanly the colours glow against underlying darks, like the branches that were first drawn with Paynes Gray acrylic ink. The cp over it is exactly the colours I put down with no loss of vibrancy. It also shows the marks more, which is important to me. At the moment the jury is leaning to the Fisher, though I would like them to make it in white as well.

laudesan
08-06-2015, 08:19 AM
This is an interesting thread. Thank you for starting it. Learning here. :)

vhere
08-06-2015, 12:23 PM
I will get back to this ... I'm currently playing with cling film and ink/ watercolour :). Will start a thread on it

Vivien Maloney
08-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Hi there Vivien:wave: - very interesting to see your experiments with sanded papers.
Being a pastel artist, Ive used Colorfix lots but have never user Fisher. I use Mi-Teintes often.
Looking forward to your ink & watercolor experiments - your Journals are always great to chek out! :thumbsup:

vhere
08-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi Vivien :). Thanks

I think if you want to smudge pastels then colourfix would suit you best, if you like marks and to be able to build multiple layers, then the Fisher. I will do some more but got caught up with an oil I'm working on and the cling film experiments (really enjoying those) .... Plus doing some reorganisation of art materials storage Nice to see you here :)

vhere
08-16-2015, 06:13 AM
Uhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2015/53888-image.jpg

And another experiment.

This was watercolour and cling film on an offcut of Colourfix paper about 5 inches or so (white). Then I used pastel pencils on it. They aren't something I use often as they can be a bit sort of wimpy but they were ok on this paper and at this scale.

The flowers are totally made up to fit the marks created with the watercolour/ cling film

Joan T
08-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Nice to see your experiments!