PDA

View Full Version : New Corel Painter 2015 user

bunford
07-31-2015, 08:12 AM
I'm new to this software and am absolutely loving it! I have got to grips with a fair bit of it almost immediately. However, there are works by some people that I see that are impossible to determine whether they are traditional or digital media.

I paint using traditional oils and am looking to emulate this as closely as possible in the digital realm. Anyone got any good pointers, advice, tutorials, surface textures, brushes etc that you can point me towards in my quest for emulating real oils as closely as possible?

Thanks all!

Elainepsq
07-31-2015, 11:19 AM
I don't use Painter anymore, I moved over to Artrage, but in general, I would say to start with a canvas texture, and make sure you paint is thick enough so that you get some brush strokes showing, if that is the way you work with real oils.
I printed one of my paintings to canvas, and it looks terrific. It's not cheap, but looks great. I've never tried it, but you can put some brush strokes on the canvas with either a little bit of "real oils" or Gamblin has a product that will give you a little texture.
Hope you enjoy digital, and I hope you will show us some of your work. It would be interesting to see your "real oils" and one of your digital pieces side by side.

Marshmallow Blue
07-31-2015, 12:02 PM
I like Corels Oils, but it kills my RAM. ArtRage is a bit friendlier in the memory dept but Corel does look just a tiny bit more real (art rage is good though).

bunford
07-31-2015, 02:39 PM
I do a lot of sound design, audio engineering and video production too so have a custom built beast with 32GB RAM :)

b'anna
08-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Hey and Welcome to digital!! Tim Shelbourn at TAQ easel has some good tuts as well ad Digital Art academy. Also look up Skip Allen Paints. Skip has a blog regarding anything Corel Painter.There are people on the site that use Painter and I'm pretty good with painter so if you have some specific questions just ask. Me or someone else could probably answer them for you. The best advice I can give you is play with the brushes and see what they do. The possibilities are endless especially once you start playing with the brushes.

One thing to point out once you start playing with the brushes is that Some brushes do not paint on anything other than the canvas (ie drip type brushes) but these are some of the best brushes.

But just play and let me know if I can answer any questions!
Barb