PDA

View Full Version : Kirsty

deedeedaydee
07-27-2015, 07:24 PM
MY IMAGE(S):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-27-2015/976549_KirstySmall.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Kirsty
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: Roughly 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Acrylic on canvas, from a photo reference.
I started painting this in 2013, then got distracted by a stupid job and a (less stupid) relationship.
I have since re-prioritised and been re-prioritised and made time to finish it :)

I had a few problems with the isolation coat, because I had used Liquitex Ivory black for some of the painting, and Golden Open Carbon black for other parts.
You may think black is black. Oh no!
The Golden Open has a subtle misty grey quality about it when compared to the Liquitex, I think the isolation coat showed this up. So I had to go over a few parts with the Ivory Black to even it up.

The photo is taken (foolishly) after the va<br>ish has been applied, hence the white speckle reflections on parts of it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Free speech zone.

I notice this image has been resized to the ridiculously small standards of this site, destroying large parts of the detail. A shame Wetcanvas is stuck in 2005.

gouligann
07-31-2015, 06:10 AM
I can't believe no one else has commented on this gorgeous painting. I truly thought it was a photograph, not a painting.

I'm not a portrait artist, so I can't give you any criticism because I can't see anything to criticize. IMO, you have done an amazing job!

EnPassant
08-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Great work. The face and hair are very well painted. I also thought it was a photo. Well done!

jessw
08-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Looks like you've put a lot of work into this, and it shows. I do wish the picture was a little larger, but from what I can see it looks beautifully painted. You should be proud :)

MSipe
08-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Very nicely done! You have lovely texture on the skin, and the hair is stunning.

Andrewcody
08-02-2015, 04:07 AM
Very good monochrome work
Plus a good lesson :)
Regards
Andrew

Mike L
08-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Gorgeous work. Wish I was that talented and patient.

Left arm seems not quite right (no pun intended). Is crook of elbow a tad too low? Or, perhaps the arm is unnaturally bent to keep all but a small piece in the shadow of the torso - no depth to it? Just doesn't seem to fit the perfection of the rest of the work.

R/Mike

deedeedaydee
11-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the kind feedback everyone.

Hey Mike,

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the left arm, but the shape is very accurate to the photo reference.
I think the right hand side of the arm is a little too dark in retrospect, it needs lightening up a tad. How it is currently is a little too cartoony, with an almost cell shading style outside. Yeah, I suspect this is the problem, oh well :)