PDA

View Full Version : Study of sunlight

EnPassant
07-27-2015, 11:52 AM
A quick study of sunlight. Comments welcome. 10 x 14, acrylic. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2015/1966540-HatSun.JPG

Bevahlee
07-27-2015, 07:27 PM
this is just lovely. I wish the hair over her forehead showed some of that light filtering thru but this has a very nice feel to it

Josephcow
07-28-2015, 11:42 AM
watch the right pupil, it looks to be going in a slightly different direction than the left one. Other than that, the face appears a bit too wide overall. Do you have a reference image for this?

As far as a study of sunlight goes, while this is a nice painting and I do see the sunlight in it, I think the study of it is a bit incomplete. Remember that white leans cool. In the areas you want lit by bright sunlight try to lighten them with yellow first and then add as little white as you can to achieve the correct value. This will make the lit areas appear warm.

FandangoArt
08-10-2015, 04:30 PM
The left side of her face is too straight. Her hair might be straight, but her face shouldn't be. And there is a disconnect between her left shoulder and the collar Of her dress. Is it blowing? From the inside?
I do like the colors and diffused background.

garyk
08-11-2015, 07:49 AM
really like the skin tones (and the rest ain't too shabby!)

EnPassant
08-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Many thanks all for your helpful comments. More portraits to come!

Apodemus
08-12-2015, 08:04 AM
I'm not really seeing any shadow from her big hat. The top of her forehead is very light indeed.
The lighting on her neck is better, and the piece overall has a nice sunny feel to it.

Mike

bvanevery
08-17-2015, 11:09 PM
It's a woman; she's fine. Whether you'd do anything about it, depends on whether you want her to be more realistic, or you're satisfied with whatever you've artistically captured about her in your quick study.