PDA

View Full Version : Pulsar seen from ringed planet

Einion
07-03-2001, 02:41 PM
One of my first digital ďpaintingsĒ from about three years ago, along the lines of what I used to paint laboriously in acrylics.

dhenton
07-03-2001, 10:07 PM
Astronomical art, now there's something you don't see every day! I'm a BIG Bonestell fan myself. <BR>

I love the stars and the edge on ring.

What's your opinion on space colors: I'm very fond of very deep blue in place of black, myself

BTW, what software did you use? Yes, I can imagine its much easier digitally!

nnelson1
07-04-2001, 10:10 AM
I enjoy astro art as well!
Nice job, my friend.
And I echo, "what software did you use?"

Nick

Einion
07-04-2001, 01:57 PM
Oops, of course I forgot to mention - Illustrator for the rough layout and generating the paths, the rest done in Photoshop.

dhenton if I was doing a picture like this for reproduction I would work in CMYK mode and yes, I would definitely use a blue-black, just like I typically used when painting this sort of thing. In RGB mode in Photoshop, you canít really work with coloured blacks (limitations in the colourspace I think) so I achieved similar effects - like the colouring of the nebulae - by overlaying a colour layer over a black/white/grey underpainting - sorta like a digital grisaille with glazes!

rsmak
07-04-2001, 07:37 PM
beautiful, I enjoy the work.
rosanna

Shehaub
07-05-2001, 12:10 PM
Thats very interesting. I was told to always work in rgb even if you plan to print because your monitor will display the colors more correctly. Then when you are finished, you convert it to cmyk. Being a newbie, I just did what I was told. I have a lot to learn about printing.

I have just recently been playing with a grisalle effect, myself. This is inspiring.

Einion
07-05-2001, 03:51 PM
Shehaub if you are producing raster artwork for print I would advise always working in CMYK mode if you have a fast enough processor and enough RAM (one channel less can make a lot of difference in file size for physically large and/or high res images).

As RGB cannot accurately define certain colours you canít control the image as well as you should and with experience you can pick/adjust colours within the picture so that they will print better. At the very least you should work with a CMYK preview if the program has one (Photoshop does) - it doesnít look nearly as pretty as RGB but is much more accurate!

Shehaub
07-06-2001, 01:43 PM
Thanks for clearing this up for me! That makes total sense, when I think about it.

I have one more question regarding print. We are looking at getting a printer (Epson) that uses the archival inks. Those are CMYK, Correct?

nnelson1
07-06-2001, 02:51 PM
The Epson 1270 manual states that you do not need to convert your images to CMYK as their drivers are designed to automatically convert the RGB appropriately.
I have done it both ways and have been pleased with the results.
Anyone else have additional experience with settings for the Epson Stylus photo printers?

Nick

digistyle
07-06-2001, 05:34 PM
I've come back to view several times. Great perspective.

digistyle

Einion
07-07-2001, 12:40 AM
Shehaub, as far as I know the archival inks are CMYK yes, just more reliable so they donít fade as fast (although this isnít really an issue with Cyan typically).

Nick is right, many (most?) colour printers these days have inbuilt RGB conversion so they print these much better than only a few years ago. I would still advise working in CMYK mode if youíre creating something but it is probably not worth the effort if youíre merely printing out a digital photograph or an image from the íNet.

Thanks Rosanna and digistyle, glad you like them :)