View Full Version : What do I call this?

10-12-2003, 10:35 AM
This piece is 30x40, painted the background and then blockprinted on top of it with several blocks i've carved. my problem is what to call it? Right now it's in a show called "blockprints" but i'm wondering if it's more a painting or mixed media or ? I dont want to make the "purists" mad, but I also don't want to look like I'm trying to pull one over on anyone else either.

comments welcome...

10-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Wow, I have no idea what to call it either. It's beautiful! could you list it as a painting AND blockprint?

10-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Would it not be a monoprint?

10-12-2003, 07:32 PM
I would call this a mono type as you have only done one, and it would be very difficult to duplicate the image. Now if you were to do more of these using the same blocks then it would be called a varied edtion. I do block prints that I hand color sometimes, number and sign as varied edtions.

10-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Wow, I'm always amazed at how much I still don't know. I've never heard of a "varied edition" and I think that's pretty much everything I do in the blockprint category since each one is usually on a diff. background or a diff. paper or diff. color, mixed and matched, etc. I had heard of mono, but I usually use this term when I'm doing a "reverse" off of the plantin instead of the block, because those vary so greatly.

I'll have to remember this terminology for the next time around.

Thanks, sassybird!

10-14-2003, 12:14 PM
That's good to know-- I've never heard the term Varied Edition either-- I'll have to keep that in mind...
Would that pertain to Polaroid Transfers as well? or just when you are dealing with printmaking?

10-14-2003, 03:11 PM
Dunno about the photo stuff, but to indicate a varied edition just put var.

Alan Cross
11-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Dont' know what to call it but good job....
Alan :)

11-12-2003, 10:52 AM
I recently came across this information at http://www2.uiah.fi/julkaisut/listat-en/aihe_taide.html
"Nowadays more and more you can find prints which are first printed from a plate or block and then continued by monotype technique or colouring by hand (for example) resulting slightly different prints. Here in Scandinavia our associations of printmakers has decided to recommend to mark these prints as variations: Edition variée (=French), for example E.v. 1/10 or Edition Variable (=English), for example EV 1/10"
This looks like it would apply in this case as a variation. Nicely done and keep up the splendid art.