PDA

View Full Version : Chikko with Lola (woman relaxing on purple sofa with kitty painting)

Jeanette Diaz
07-25-2015, 01:14 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-25-2015/6813_image.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Chikko with Lola (woman relaxing on purple sofa with kitty painting)
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x40
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I think this is finished.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any cc is appreciated.

MSipe
07-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Hey there!

First of all, let me say that, because painting is so highly subjective, it's impossible to really know what an artist intends with their work. So, take what parts of my crit are helpful, and throw the rest away!

I really like the vibrancy of this painting. The use of complimentary colors (the green/red, purple/yellow) really creates a lot of energy in the work, which makes an interesting contrast to the subject of the lounging woman. I also like the composition, particularly the placement of the woman's body, which draws the eye first to the face and then down along to her toes (which are adorable!), and then up to the painting in the background. So lovely job, there.

However, I also think there are elements that could be improved. There's no real defined light source in the image, and I think that adding this, and more detailed shading and highlighting to go with it, creates a better sense of dimensionality, of depth and solidity. I'm adding a quick paint over I did to illustrate what I mean...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2015/1973759-critique001.jpg

Additionally, I think that some of the work you do with color contrast (the red of her shirt against the green of the wall, which doesn't do the job quite enough because of the interruption of the couch back) could be better accomplished with a greater separation of values (an issue I find I, too, struggle with). I think separating your darks, midtones, and lights would create a more striking and eye catching image.

So, those are my thoughts, and I hope that some of them are useful!

Cheers,
Marion

Bevahlee
07-26-2015, 11:14 AM
hmmm, well I disagree with Marion. This is a flat composition, color against color and pattern against flat, as did Matisse, who didn't use shading and light source either. For me that shading would only make the composition more confusing because now it would need shading everywhere and that's not what this is all about.

oldnmartist
07-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Very nice. One thing I particularly like, and I think helps to make this painting is that you have used higher chroma colors in the painting on the wall than in the rest of it. I am sure you must have been aware of this. Ingenious.

OziAfricana
09-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Intriguing painting.