PDA

View Full Version : Looking for teacher/mentor.....

rvhamburg
07-22-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm looking for someone that will be willing to help me move to the next level with my painting. If anyone could make some suggestions as to someone in the Houston TX area that might be willing to work with me, please PM me with the information.

I appreciate all the help, comments, suggestions here on WC, but nothing helps more than one-on-one!

Thanks
Randy

mudfish
07-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Ask at art supply stores or galleries & find the local artist guilds. There are bound to be several. It's a great place to learn, most have a free demo/lesson each month at meetings, and there is no better place to keep up with all the local shows & workshops. You will meet lots of great artists in all mediums, paint with them if you want, and find out who are the best instructors in your area.

Barbara WC
07-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Hi Randy-

Are you connected with any other artists in Houston? Houston has such a rich art community...

What do you like to paint? One way to find a teacher is to get involved in an art group or society and get to know other artists. If you like landscapes, try to find a plein air group. If you like figure portrait painting, seek out a life drawing group. I'm not suggesting formal "classes" here, just joining an art group or society to get to know some other artists that can suggest teachers in your area. I learn a lot just by painting with other artists in a group, many of the artists that show up to these non-instructional groups are professionals, others are just starting out...

I don't know if you work from life, but many serious teacher will demand that their students do at least a portion of their work from life...

Take some workshops by local artists too. I've had trouble finding someone I want to study with- there are two local pastel portrait artists that I really admire their work- one is a great teacher but only works from photos, and I normally work from life, and the other teacher who works from life, isn't a great teacher. There is another portrait artist that I could study with, but her price is so high ($75 an hour) that I just can't afford studying with her...

I'm sure there are a lot of workshops held in Houston, and if you can afford a week long workshop, check out the Fredericksburg Art School. I'll be traveling there in September to take a 5 day pastel and oil portrait workshop with Bill Schneider (my folks live in Houston, so my dad is going to pick me up in Fredericksburg after the workshop and bring me back to Houston!).

In the back of Pastel Journal there is a list every issue of workshops held around the country. I don't know if it's available online, but there might be something in the Houston area.

Oh, also go bug the nice people at Texas Art Supply- I used to shop there when I lived in Houston, and they used to know the local art scene pretty well. There may be a bulletin board there too with a listing of groups or teachers...

Devonlass
07-23-2015, 12:14 AM
One of the very best places to learn is here on Wet Canvas. If you post your work in the gallery and ask for C and C, you will find many people will be generous in offering tips and advice. I can't tell you how much I have benefitted from the expertise of the great artists on this site. You could also take a subscription to artistsnetwork.com and watch the many videos on offer there.

robertsloan2
07-23-2015, 01:50 AM
Houston is a large city. I would suggest looking to see if there's a pastel group branch, those might have monthly meetings with demos.

I live in San Francisco and found out there's online sites that list local groups and you can start groups on them for anything you want. If you go online, find one of these local activities exchanges and choose a day and meetup place and time, you can actually found a group. This may attract artists who are more skilled or professional because they too would like to get out and paint with others.

Plein air is a good topic and so is life painting. People will get together for those things across all skill levels, it's more fun in a group. No need for model fees if people trade off who's going to pose. I belonged to a life drawing group in Lawrence, KS three states ago for a couple of years, it drew three professors from the nearest university, the rest were half students and half professional artists with a few leisure painters. I'd expect a similar mix could happen with plein air painters. Specifying medium or not could either narrow it or open it up depending on how many groups there are.

But in a big city there are going to be a lot of local artists. This is also a way to meet people who know gallery owners and so on, local contacts.

water girl
07-23-2015, 01:57 AM
Robert's idea for finding a pastel group near you may be possible through the International Assoc. of Pastel Societies' website. http://www.iapspastel.org/memsoc_directory.php#MS53

Barbara WC
07-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Robert's idea for finding a pastel group near you may be possible through the International Assoc. of Pastel Societies' website. http://www.iapspastel.org/memsoc_directory.php#MS53

I forgot about that Robert and Karen! When I was at IAPS, there were two people in my workshop with Diane Rappisi that were from Houston- the one woman said Houston has more than one pastel society!

*Deirdre*
07-26-2015, 10:28 AM
One of the very best places to learn is here on Wet Canvas. If you post your work in the gallery and ask for C and C, you will find many people will be generous in offering tips and advice. I can't tell you how much I have benefitted from the expertise of the great artists on this site. You could also take a subscription to artistsnetwork.com and watch the many videos on offer there.
Carol http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2015/33616-gif_hammer_hits_nail_on_head.gif That's how it's done! :lol: