PDA

View Full Version : Picture of Dorian Gray: WIP

nonamac
10-12-2003, 03:14 AM
My friend Matthew is having a Come As Your Favourite Work of Art birthday party, and because he looks unreasonably young and healthy for his wildly dissolute habits, he is coming as The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Matthew:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2003/11324-Matthew.jpg

I've started creating the "Picture" he plans to carry. I've only got from the bottom of the nose down nearly finished; I still have a ways to go on the forehead, eyebrows and hair, and will carry the sallow pallor of the jaw all over. Plan to add wild wooly eyebrow hairs, ear hair, forehead frown mark and lateral wrinkles.

Dorian:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2003/11324-DorianTrundle.jpg

Comments and suggestions? Thanks to all!
macky :cat:

DuncanBerenice
10-12-2003, 03:21 AM
from what I'm seeing, the transformation is coming on excellent - I must admit I don't know who Dorian Gray is but I really like the work you've done so far :D can't wait to see the finished work

Duncan

nonamac
10-12-2003, 03:49 AM
Ta, Duncan. Dorian Gray is actually a figure in a novel; he leads a dissolute life but physically never alters. His secret is that his portrait is aging viciously.

drapier
10-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Nona
This is coming along great. I wouldn't go too much further as you really want to keep it looking like him and at the moment you've carried it off very well.
I hope you saved all the interim stages of your work, it would make a cool animated gif if they were put in order.

jsr88
10-12-2003, 09:07 AM
YEAH MAcky!!! This is looking SUPER!!
(Maybe you could give VERONICA a few tips with those 'wrinkles!' )

Looking at this, I'm really wondering HOW you *did* add the ones you have.

I can't WAIT for the eyes!
:cat:

Rich
10-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Looking really GREAT so far!

moore hill graphics
10-12-2003, 11:24 AM
WOW Mackie - what a great job you're doing!!! This is exactly what I was after knowing about!!!

Now then - I can see you've squared his jaw, made the cheeks less full, and dragged the lines around the mouth down straight instead of their pulling up the jawline - but HOW? Also you've pulled down and slightly hooked the nose (morphing?) I'm in awe of the lines and wrinkles around the mouth, and the texture of the skin - how the h--l did you do all that??????????

I'm intrigued that you've made the full puffed lines under the eyes less so - is that because of the cheeks being less full, so they wouldn't push up the skin under the eyes? Blacking out the teeth was a good idea too!

You managed the neck really well too - I'm WILDLY IMPRESSED - please let us (or at least ME :p) know how you've done it :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jsr88
10-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by moore hill graphics
please let us (or at least ME :p) know how you've done it :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NO FAIR!!! :D I want to know too! Then I can use the REVERSE to put ME back where I *want* to be. ;)

It really *IS* a great job, Macky...looking forward to seeing more...AND finding out HOW you did it. (Yes, Veronica...I *will* try it on myself...;) )

Alan Cross
10-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Somehow I think he might look scary in the end...but looking good!
Alan :)

nonamac
10-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Ty ty!! Hope to finish forehead and eyes tonite...ear hair and eyebrows will be a bit touchy...

Mike, I've saved all the bits and would be DELIGHTED to have an animated gif -- but I don't actually know how to do it! The one you PM'd me is WAY :cool:

Ta Rich!

Veronica, I didn't know you were after knowing about "this" -- it's just partly retouching and partly photocomposition, same as you do with Your photos.
Gravity pulls EVERYthing down, including the puffy bit under the eyes. That part tends to go dark and crepe-y. The texture of the skin I cloned from another shot, and I stole other bits too... :D The dodge and burn tools are a kind of Un-healing brush when used to exagerate wrinkles, btw! The lower part of the face is about 7 or 8 layers...select, copy, paste, free transform. I have a jowls layer, upper lip layer, lower lip layer, teeth layer, several neck layers....

Julie -- trust me, reverse is much EASIER!!

Alan, this may turn out scarier than he expected!! But it's great fun for me, all the same!

Thanks everybody for your appreciation!! Any suggestions??

Alan Cross
10-12-2003, 06:29 PM
LOL he has to have pointed ears right?

drapier
10-12-2003, 07:55 PM
As discussed via PM here is the animated gif as promised. Plus I reversed the aging process and made a painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2003/3706-drapierfornona.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2003/3706-nonadorian.jpg

nonamac
10-12-2003, 09:16 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: WAY :cool: Mike!! I just LOVE them, and hope everybody else does too!!

I've worked on the eyebrows, now, and drooped and reddened the eyelids. Sponge, and dodge on brows, Liquify, sponge and hue on lids!! Also I've started adjusting the skintones toward an overall sallow pallor with Sponge and Hue.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2003/11324-DorianTrundle2.jpg

Veronica, I forgot to say Liquify earlier -- a WONDERful bagging and sagging tool!! ;)

Rich
10-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Alan Cross
LOL he has to have pointed ears right?

Looking more and more like Spock!:D

Good work!

nonamac
10-12-2003, 09:24 PM
LOL Rich!! I think Mike's "Youthening" makes him look more like Spock!! WHY do I think Matthew's going to prefer Mike's version??? :D

moore hill graphics
10-12-2003, 11:43 PM
What a great thread this is - I love the youthening one, drapier! And I think you are doing an absolutely BRILLIANT job, macky-cat, I'm dying to know what your friend thinks of it all!!!

And thanks for all those instructions and suggestions macky - I shall have another try at it now!!!

Alan Cross
10-13-2003, 12:19 AM
Lots of changes....great fun...

nonamac
10-13-2003, 04:18 AM
OK, the last of today's work. I've added ear hair (clone), forehead wrinkles (dodge and burn), mouth wrinkles (clone), and used the spherize distortion to create a lush's nose :D Matthew hasn't seen it yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2003/11324-DorianTrundle3.jpg

moore hill graphics
10-13-2003, 10:45 AM
macky-cat, he's GORGEOUS - any pub would know him at a glance!!! I'm particularly intrigued with how the dodge and burn works with the forehead wrinkles! I AM SO IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole thing is amazing.

I'm waiting with bated breath for Matthew's reaction....... hope he's a philosophical sort!

Alan Cross
10-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Great work....

nonamac
10-14-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by moore hill graphics
I'm waiting with bated breath for Matthew's reaction....... hope he's a philosophical sort!
So was I, Veronica!! And It's a HIT!!
FIRST he said, "It's my grandfather!"
THEN, on closer inspection, he announced "It's ME! Those are MY eyes!!" And so they are!
His FINAL decision was "EXcellent!"
I'm going to see how it prints, and then do any adjustments required.
Thanks for all the encouragement, gang; it really feels great!

VeldaJ
10-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Absolutely fantastic, Macky. I wouldn't even begin to know how to tackle this but I've loved watching it unfold. Great job. I'm not surprised Matthew was delighted with it.

moore hill graphics
10-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Wow - I'm thrilled that he likes it macky, though I don't see how he could fail to be impressed. Wasn't his first reaction amazing! Boy you sure know you've succeeded when he says something like that!

Now I'm really looking forward to trying the same thing....

Bobby D
10-14-2003, 03:29 PM
A fantastic piece of manipulation, Macky and combined with all the information makes this a most enjoyable and informative thread.

pinkbubelz
10-14-2003, 03:44 PM
For those of you haven't seen it,
There's an old black and white movie called "THe Portrait of Dorian Grey". The movie shows the young and old potrait in color.
I saw the actual painting from the movie in a gallery in Florida (I think?) a few years ago, which then prompted me to go see the movie it was used in.

The "aged" painting was absolutely breathtaking.

2 artist's were used by the movie, Henrique Medina and IVAN LE LORRAINE ALBRIGHT. The painting I saw was that of Albright.

Henrique Medina: Young Dorian Gray Potrait
http://community-2.webtv.net/AlvaroGuevara/AlvaroGuevaray/page4.html

A Biography of the artist, IVAN LE LORRAINE ALBRIGHT
who did the "Aged" painting. This guy took forever to paint some of his works. I think they said he would sometimes spend a year on 1 square inch or something like that:
Here's his bio:
http://www.butlerart.com/pc_book/pages/ivan_le_lorraine_albright_1897.htm

Here's a link to the painting he did for the movie (It's a little hard to see, but he did a phenomenal rendition:
http://www.art-platform.com/pics/Albright%20Ivan%20Le%20Lorraine/1943-44%20Picture%20of%20Dorian%20Gray.htm

The story is about a young man who buys a special portrait that ages for him, while he himself stays young. (that's the gist of it.)

Check it out....and if you get a chance, rent the movie-- although the painting in person is far more striking, you'll understand what I mean! :-)

--IRis

pinkbubelz
10-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Oh, and some of the other pictures on the same website as the Dorian Grey picture (on Albright's site) show what I mean--check it out and see what you think....

jsr88
10-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Macky...have you given any consideration to a new career? Police artist??? :D

This is totally AMAZING!!! And very scarey, too! Not Matthew! The fact that you're SO good at this!

By the way...all you people who are enjoying this thread might want to rate it so that others will be better able to find it in the future. I DID!! ;)

Thanks Macky...I really enjoyed watching the progression of this WIP. DO IT AGAIN!!! OK? ;)

Kathryn8
10-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jsr88
Macky...have you given any consideration to a new career? Police artist??? :D

This is totally AMAZING!!! And very scarey, too! Not Matthew! The fact that you're SO good at this!

By the way...all you people who are enjoying this thread might want to rate it so that others will be better able to find it in the future. I DID!! ;)

Thanks Macky...I really enjoyed watching the progression of this WIP. DO IT AGAIN!!! OK? ;)

My Gosh, Julie beat me to it, I agree with everything she said, you should consider a new career and it is Scarey that you are that good. :clap:

I put both of the pictures side-by-side to compare them and the work was even more amazing when compared that way. I was distracted by the missing teeth, so I went so far as to put them back in....figuring this is a cool fellow....he would get false teeth, lol.

Just Great... DO ANOTHER ONE!

Kathy

drapier
10-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Picture of Dorian Gray was written by Oscar Wilde
Here is the text if anybody's interested
http://www.upword.com/wilde/dorgray.html

Nona this is a very impressive piece of work. Welld one.

nonamac
10-14-2003, 08:25 PM
OMG!!! THank you, thank you ALL!!! I'm smiling so hard my cheeks hurt!! :D

Velda, thank you so much!

Rob, I should have started posting sooner with info -- didn't realise it would actually be of interest! Thank you for your kind words!

Iris, I had not seen the movie, nor the portrait. Thanks SO much for your post...it's way :cool: to have this added info....kind of like getting the DVD version of a movie with all the extras!!

Julie, you are too funny. I did this stuff for YEARS in advertising!

Kathy, I had planned to lose only ONE tooth, but hubby (Matthew's alleged good friend) inSISTed on more ;) I like it with teeth, too....but it certainly is more decrepit without...and all that our darling Matthew DESERVES!! Far from being chastened by my version of what he SHOULD look like from the wild life he leads, he wants to send copies to his mother and rellies!!

Mike, thank you SO much -- and again for the gif and the Youthening painting! Extra Special Added Extras...just like the DVD version!!

pinkbubelz
10-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Yes-- take a look at the portrait and the movie... but mostly for the portrait in the movie... :-)

I like your effects. they are really cool....

wonder if you though about giving him nasty stains on the teeth? I'm not sure how old Dorian Gray was supposed to be at the end of the story, but I think it was old enough that he should have been worm fodder....

Only one thing-- it seems like he has a lot more hair on the right side of the photo vs. the left (i understand it's not 100% face on, but to me it's noticable-- and maybe you could give him a few "single strands sticking out of the top? I notice that some bad men have a few stragglers that they apparently miss or forget to shave off... gives them a slightly "unkempt" appearance...

I love it otherwise-- I've done a few things in photoshop on tiny pictures and removing glare from glasses-- adding hair to the other side of a person's neck when the original was uneven...

Haven't had a chance to do any "morphing" or aging of photos.

Although I thought it might be fun to try to "morph baby photos of my hubby and me and see if our future children would look anything like our photos... :-)

You should have a lot of fun at Halloween if you are going to a party with a literary crowd!

nonamac
10-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Hadda make a few tweaks for printing...here's the Final:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2003/11324-DorianTrundle4.jpg

I had a LOT of fun with this! Thanks for all your encouragement!

moore hill graphics
10-16-2003, 06:49 PM
This is the most amazing piece of work, macky - I'm saving the thread for future reference - I think I've already rated it but I'll double-check. Glad you had fun with it, because so did we ALL :D

Now, still contemplating an aging-youthening challenge/project....
If anyone sees this, lemme know what you think, ok?

nonamac
10-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Matthew at his B'day party:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2003/11324-MatthewDorian.jpg

moore hill graphics
10-20-2003, 01:17 AM
He sure looks pleased as punch, macky! What a great treat this has been for all of us - thanks for rounding off the story :)

And nice to see you back again!

drapier
10-20-2003, 05:35 AM
A great way to show the finale. Well done Macky