PDA

View Full Version : The Ghost of Kurt Cobain (wip)

Yombie
07-18-2015, 07:30 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-18-2015/1973517_IMG_20150717_220102.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-18-2015/1973517_IMG_20150718_001817.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-18-2015/1973517_IMG_20150718_021425.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Ghost of Kurt Cobain (wip)
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x16
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Still working on it, it's undergone several revisions

. I'm having trouble getting a feeling I want without being too confusing.

I have lost my original intention and it has morphed into something else, not something more or something less, merely something different.

As I lose the intention, it seems as thought the subject itself has seemed to almost disappear from the painting.

I guess I call it "The Ghost of Kurt Cobain" for a reason. It's taken on it's name quite literally in some sense, the pink bits hint at his demise, as does his guitar, it's existence just a haunting memory.

I still need to work on it, I am unsatisfied with it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Interested in any feed back on how to improve in any aspect.

La_
07-19-2015, 12:43 PM
well, i can't tell you what you like, only what i like, which is the first, dark mystery of kurt ... the second is okay and the third, to me, is too scary/evil, he was tortured, but wasn't evil.
of the background, are you working through phases/seasons/times of his existence,or what. again i prefer the first, especially the right side. the left side in all three leaves me ... wanting

hope you find your way with it, but if you don't, it can become something else and a new kurt might appear for you in another work, inspiration is weird that way.

la

Yombie
07-19-2015, 09:26 PM
well, i can't tell you what you like, only what i like, which is the first, dark mystery of kurt ... the second is okay and the third, to me, is too scary/evil, he was tortured, but wasn't evil.
of the background, are you working through phases/seasons/times of his existence,or what. again i prefer the first, especially the right side. the left side in all three leaves me ... wanting

hope you find your way with it, but if you don't, it can become something else and a new kurt might appear for you in another work, inspiration is weird that way.

la Thanks! I suppose i see where you're coming from RE: Scary/evil, it is after all a painting of a ghost with references to his demise, I suppose it isn't as subtle as I thought it'd be, I opted out of the use of reds at first on the right as to remove any inference of maliciousness, but then decided to go with magenta to convey blood, much like I did in another piece of mine. I am on the cusp of destroying it, debating with myself on whether or not I want to keep working on it. I suppose it will be shelved until I resolve this.

Bevahlee
07-20-2015, 05:35 AM
I like the third piece best except for the dark lines separating the image into sections. I like the way the divisions of shapes is treated in the first piece just to the top and right of his head. The other rectangles have more interest going on here but those dark lines keep me from entering ..I have to jump from one to the other. Second piece has a nice division with that smoked out black line

Yombie
07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
I like the third piece best except for the dark lines separating the image into sections. I like the way the divisions of shapes is treated in the first piece just to the top and right of his head. The other rectangles have more interest going on here but those dark lines keep me from entering ..I have to jump from one to the other. Second piece has a nice division with that smoked out black line

I have needed a moment to digest what amazing advice you have given me.

The amount of growth I've accrued from just this single post is immeasurable, thanks!

It was painted on a piece of paper which I gesso'd and decoupaged a few times over, but I think I might make a reproduction on canvas with some hindsight in mind. :)

Ty!