PDA

View Full Version : "Berry, KY iii"

thevaliantx
07-14-2015, 07:26 AM
12x10" Acrylic on panel. This is the last Acrylic painting I did with the Galeria Acrylics before tossing the rest of what was on the palette. From here I will try to settle on an artist grade product for purchase.

Artchrispy
07-14-2015, 06:12 PM
love the soft and warm quality. It looks a little like pastel.

AnnieA
07-17-2015, 06:35 PM
I agree with Chris about the pastel look to it. Maybe it's those saturated yellows and magentas. I like it!

What was it you didn't like about the Gallerias?

thevaliantx
07-18-2015, 05:32 AM
The hues don't mix well
The yellow is extremely weak
Half the set I bought was Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre
One of the two reds is a hue
One of the two blues looked to my eyes to be a dark green
Milky, runny texture

I will either upgrade to an artist grade Acrylic line and see how that goes for me, or my decision on which mediums to grow as an artist with will be made easier.

opainter
07-20-2015, 07:29 PM
For using student-grade acrylics on a small canvas, that looks pretty good! Some pigments work better in student grade acrylics that others.

Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre are all "earth pigments" that don't differ as much as other pigments between student-grade and artist-grade acrylics, so you might want to hold on those.

You've made a good list summarizing the problems of student-grade acrylics. Here's some of the artist-quality alternatives that I have used: Golden and Liquitex (these are the "big two" in terms of popularity and availability in craft stores), Old Holland, Sennelier, M. Graham, and Winsor & Newton.

We're always discussing colors (both pro and con!) and other aspects of paints in the Color Theory and Mixing section if you care to check that out.