PDA

View Full Version : love

everelusive
07-14-2015, 05:44 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-14-2015/1717646_IMG_20150714_36297.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: love
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 3050cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Trying a new direction.

Based on sumi e.

I'm not very happy with the symmetry of the center word.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any feedback welcome

La_
07-14-2015, 10:46 AM
mirror image?

liking the tiles in the background and the fogginess makes me think of a mirror after a shower that someone's written on.
i don't dislike it, but also don't understand it
not familiar with 'sumi e'

la

everelusive
07-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Yep, the love is back to front.

sumi-e is a style of Japanese calligraphy or ink painting, usually quite minimalist.

I started off trying to get a similar sense of minimalism, but had to keep adding things to restore balance.

I wrote love backwards because I was trying to remove the meaning from the word but keep its shape (and then I noticed that love backwards was 2 latters away from spelling evolve and had to add that too).

I really don't like it, it's far from what I had originally intended, although I do kind of like the juxtaposition of the little boxes with the ragged ink at the end of the strokes.

perhaps it is something worth developing but its in my unsure pile atm.

fritzie
07-16-2015, 05:53 PM
What bothers me some about this piece is that it is ostensibly about love and yet no emotion is conveyed by it.

Josephcow
07-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Awesome idea! honestly. But I agree with fritzie in a way. I don't think it's taken far enough. Is it about love or evolution? You need to decide that before you paint. Keep in mind that art containing the word 'love' is really really really common. without a specific intention it comes off as trite to me.

I rather like the squares. It adds an element of technicality to contrast the flowing script. I don't particularly like the splotches of color in the background. Minimalism is all about simple impact. No need to pretty it up or embellish! those are just my opinions though.

Bevahlee
07-26-2015, 11:22 AM
I like it. Love...is that all there is to that? lol. But I think it needs another tile or a few much larger ones on top of the love calligraphy. The tiles (shapes) and the beautiful calligraphy aren't tied together and that would do it and further foggy up the very notion of "love." Add the emotion it might need by destroying what you've so carefully limned.

everelusive
07-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments and helpful suggestions.

I won't be following this tangent any further (at least for the forseable future)

But I am hugely appreciative for all who gave their crits, thank you so much.