PDA

View Full Version : Hilda (woman with martini and cat)

Jeanette Diaz
07-14-2015, 12:00 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-14-2015/6813_image.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hilda (woman with martini and cat)
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I feel like I'm done with this one. The inspiration for this piece was from a photograph I took of a friend of mine. I'm a commercial photographer and I really enjoy painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any constructive feedback is great and much appreciated! 😁

If you don't understand this type of art.. Please no need to comment. It's like a buzz kill. lol

GivenToFly
07-14-2015, 01:27 AM
I don't enjoy this kind of art usually so I can't offer anything of value BUT ... I like this piece, its colourful, vibrant and instantly put a smile on my face! Well done :D

La_
07-14-2015, 01:36 AM
how fun is that!
good comp, fun piece
i've attached a greyscale of it so you can see the values
(and to calm all the patterns so i could concentrate)
will let you decide if any adjustments are necessary after looking at the b&w version

la

Jeanette Diaz
07-14-2015, 01:52 AM
This piece makes me smile every time I see it. She seems so happy with that martini! lol
I've never viewed it in black and white! Thanks La
I might need to tweak it a bit! 😂

oldnmartist
07-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Interesting. When I saw the title, even before I saw the piece, I was thinking Matisse! And I was amazed when I saw it. Either I have ESP or you have succeeded not only in capturing the Matisse style but also his way of naming his paintings. I could not pick out the cat at first, very clever. One criticism if I may, the left shoulder looks like it is coming out of the picture, and the left arm is much bigger than the right. Perhaps artistic license though in so nice a piece. Love it.

Bevahlee
07-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Very nice piece. love it. Just enough flat areas to make it work

PeteL
07-15-2015, 10:42 PM
"Hilda"....and "Angelina" too.....the composition, the relaxed style and your fearless use of color keep me coming back to these. I'm seeing the start of a really interesting series, with the black cat tying them together.

Jeanette Diaz
07-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I haven't posted in about 7 years. (lots of life changes and now I have my own studio) I've picked up my paint brush to finish a ton of work I started. When I posted these and no one responded I thought my stuff really must suck! Seriously there are some REALLY talented artist on this site. Wow.

Oldnmartist - thanks for the Matisse compliment. I have been told that many times but haven't really looked into it enough to make the connection. As far as the shoulder my model was holding this pose, where one shoulder was turned a bit. Like she was trying to be cute and playful. I will revisit that..

Bevehalee- thank you.

Pete L - these are part of a series of 15 paintings, women all with a cat. (My friends and my cat Lola.

karenlee
07-17-2015, 12:37 PM
For me, part of the charm of this painting was reading the title and spending quite a bit of time looking for the cat, which I expected to find in the sitter's lap...

Josephcow
07-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Good plains of color over all nice composition. But it feels like you're not committing to the style (postimpressionist?). It looks to me like you are trying to add realistic details to the wood floor while leaving others flat. I would simplify the floor and the purple wall (without the beam of light) to balance that.