PDA

View Full Version : Trying something different - WIP

Mettaphorica
07-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Hi all
I haven't been around for a while, been having an artistic crisis/meltdown which Rob says probably the beginning of a turning point for me (thanks for the reassurance, Rob). He may be right and it may be happening here now.

In this piece I have tried a different approach, though it is not finished and I welcome suggestions. My usual approach is to be quite detailed - far too detailed - and part of this 'crisis' and 'emerging' has been realising the courage and giving myself permission to break out of that. ok, deliberately forcing myself to stop being so anal and detailed, just for once.

So with this piece, I set myself the goal of not blending with my fingers, and trying to let the strokes speak for themselves. Normally I blend everything and am so concerned with getting just a likeness down that I do whatever it takes, and that meant overworking it. So having been doing a bit of reading and thinking, I set myself the challenge of trying to just put down initial strokes and not go over and over and over every bit which is what I normally do. I also decided to try and be a bit looser. Mostly I think I achieved it.

Where this didn't work is the lions' nose and faces - this is because I made my decision to do this challenge some time after the nose and eyes on the lioness had already been done - and they were precise and detailed. So I had to leave them as is or risk making a mess.

For the most part I think I succeeded with what I was doing, and I am pleased with the thick, woolly affect of the cub's coat, which I achieved without meaning to, but happened as a result of not being so precise, and was a totally different approach to fur, so I love discovering that.

I also fell down with the cub's face - the area was just too small and scrunched and tight for looseness, so I chickened out and gave in and was more detailed again with that.

Now for the background. I have thought about scrubbing out the green/blue above the cub and either extend the dark purple on Momma's side, or do a dark green, or try for a sienna/golden look that is more in keeping with an African plain, with maybe a few tufts of yellow savannah grass next to the cub's body, just to ground him a bit.

I am open for suggestions/crits.
thanks
cheers
Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2015/979263-IMG_5023.edited.jpg

mudfish
07-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Oh, I think this is lovely. Congrats on your willingness to experiment. These transitions come upon us at regular intervals throughout life; never easy or comfortable but always worth the fight to continue to grow. I like the darker scumbled background; it pulls the darks out of the fur nicely.

Mettaphorica
07-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Mudfish. I ought to add that the cub's whiskers are not in yet until the background and surrounds have been decided upon.
Donna

BlackScorpion
07-14-2015, 02:39 AM
I like it, I do understand with trying to be too detailistic and having to losen up. You can't call my work detailistic yet, but then again I'm a beginner for a reason.

I definately like the texture of the fur, it indeed looks wooly and fuzzy.
I only have 1 thing which keeps drawing my eye and that is the line of the mouth of the cub. It looks too much black and liney if you get what I mean. I know I don't have the right to find anything 'wrong' with your picture, knowing where I am in my drawing skills. But the mouth-line of the cub seems odd.

Cheers!
Evy

Still-trying
07-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Donna, this is great. The mama has a regal attitude and the cub is sweet. I agree about the mouth of the cub. It's too perfect? Like it was drawn on after? I love the fur. Maybe you found a new style of a little loose and a little precise. Whatever..it works great

Mettaphorica
07-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I agree, the mouth of the cub looks a little harsh, I will fix that.
I didn't intend to make Momma regal looking, she just was, but that was part of the charm of the original image.
thanks
cheers
Donna