PDA

View Full Version : Number Two

Bill Linn
07-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Number two.

Question?: How are you folks achieving the fine detail I'm seeing in various works? I can't seem to be able to do anything but smudge it on with these square pieces of chalk.:clear:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2015/91502-IMG_6782.JPG

GivenToFly
07-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Bill I asked the same question a little while ago ... and I've now moved over to pastel pencils. You can get them to a nice point, they don't make half the mess the sticks do and I've done away with smudging ... I am also a bit fussy with my papers ... I don't like the white dots you get show through in some of the more textured papers so I try and stick to the lightly textured papers ... its all personal preference though :) ... your landscape above is nice and has some fine detail so you have done well with your sticks :)

Mike L
07-12-2015, 01:36 PM
By smudging I presume you mean blending either with fingers or tools?

As GivenToFly pointed out, pastel pencils are an option, and I've seen that advice given by some very experienced pastelists.

Keep things clean to keep the smudge (dirty marks) out. After making a mark I wipe the unwanted color off the stick on a paper towel or a microfiber cloth before making another mark. I'm getting real nice clean marks by doing this. I think the same would be true for any blending tools used.

Create an under-painting to fill up all those nooks and crannies created by the paper's tooth. Rub it in really good so none of those white spaces show through. Then start your painting over that. You can even spray some fixative over the under-painting if you still have concerns and paint over that.

Keep the corners of one end of your stick sharp with a knife or sandpaper. That way you'll have four points with which to add details. Just sharpen as often as necessary - same with pencils.

I don't think you have much trouble with getting details, though. Your piece contains a lot. Good job.
:thumbsup:
All that said, I'm sure some much more experienced pastelists will chime in with better advice.

R/Mike

Charles Perera
07-13-2015, 12:33 PM
I find you doing well with the painint

Charles

water girl
07-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Bill, your colors are working well. As mentioned, you can use pastel pencils for the detail work. I'm just wondering which paper you are using. Is it Canson Mi-Tientes? If you turn it over, there is a smooth side which may be more to your liking. Don't get frustrated, any new medium takes a bit of experimentation.