PDA

View Full Version : Lorikeets Feeding

dgford
07-11-2015, 08:14 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-11-2015/104792_Cockatoos_take_over_600.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-11-2015/104792_Lorrikeet_600.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lorikeets Feeding
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: half-sheet 14 x 21
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Lorikeets are found throughout Australia and although they visit us in pairs at our bird-baths every day they become more numerous when the liquidamber tree sheds its seeds. The white cockatoos go for the larger seed capsules that have been crushed by cars on the road whilst the lorikeets forage in the grass for the smaller seeds.

The rainbow lorikeets within one colony will all have similar colour patte<br>s, with slight variations, whilst other colonies can have widely different colour patte<br>s, again with only small variations in their individual colony patte<br>s. Very swift fliers, they stay with the one mate for life.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The original reference photo, of both birds, show their busy massing on the road and under the tree. My painting attempts to show the rainbow lorikeets in a busy and active mode, by using broad brush strokes --- occasionally with white gouache --- and their vivid head colours to give an expressive vitality and busy-ness to the scene.

Does the technique work? Is the composition helpful? Or has it bombed out altogether? C&Cs vital!

La_
07-11-2015, 06:01 PM
thinking framing, you may have worked too close to the bottom

and i might appreciate a hint of small seeds scattered about on the ground

can't comment on the h20 bit as it and i don't get along o.O

all in all i think it's a charming piece

la

dgford
07-12-2015, 03:00 AM
Thank you la for your stopping to comment. I wanted to get close to the bottom but I think I may have snuggled too close! The small seeds fall through the grass and have to be sought by beady and hungry eyes.

H2O ? What's that? Oh --- the stuff I mix with my paints!
Geoff

Bevahlee
07-12-2015, 08:12 AM
La is right. But you can get by with it with a mat close to the midtone aqua.

dgford
07-12-2015, 10:13 PM
A good suggestion, Beverly, and worth following.
Geoff