PDA

View Full Version : The Feed Shed

Bill Linn
07-11-2015, 12:16 AM
My first attempt at pastel. I bought a set of pastel chalk from Michaels recently and later, digging around in the "Stuff" I've accumulated, I found another set that I had previously purchased. (Guess I never had the nerve to dig into the medium?)

Anyway, here's the first. I sketched the basic layout using a bit of charcoal and then rubbed in some color. This was done in a sketch-pad so the paper is not suited to this mode. But, it's just practise, right?

Hoping to learn to do it properly because of the amazing quality achieved by others.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2015/91502-feed_shed_Pastel.JPG

GivenToFly
07-11-2015, 05:55 AM
I really like this, well done! Lots of depth and layers and it makes my eye wonder through the whole piece ... you have hit the ground running!

Still-trying
07-11-2015, 06:15 AM
You have skill, you have talent, and now you have pastels!! Welcome to pastel.

Barbara WC
07-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Bill-

Wow, really nice first pastel! I like the warm light in the painting...

If you want to upgrade a bit in paper, Canson Mi-tientes is a good one to work with, inexpensive, readily available at art stores, comes in some good colors (I find working on toned paper easier than white- although you don't seem to have the problems I do with white paper- your values look good!). If you want to do more layers, the sanded papers are nice, you can check in the Soft Pastel Talk for more discussions about papers- like canvas, it's such an individual choice...

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Donna T
07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Very nice! I hope you'll keep experimenting with the variety of pastels and papers available. It's so much fun to try new things and pastel can just be brushed off outdoors if you're not happy with the results.

Bill Linn
07-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Emma, Jay, Barbara, Donna T. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Some great tips on the paper, I'll try to find the Canson Mi-Tientes. (And maybe some of the sanded stuff too.)

Barbara, looked at your page and WOW, it is remarkable how you handle light. I think I'll be studying your work to figure out how different hues show in shadow and transition to light.

I've reworked The Feed Shed to the point of no-return. Here it is for the last time. (I had no reference for this one, but I have a couple of pictures in mind to do next.)

The last look!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2015/91502-IMG_6780.JPG

GivenToFly
07-11-2015, 11:29 PM
I love this piece Bill ... you have taken to the pastels so well. So much texture and layers and I love the little hints of red through the grass ... it has a lovely warm feel ... wish I was there (where ever "there is) because its freezing cold and pouring rain where I am!

Bill Linn
07-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Thank you Emma, for the encouraging words and the pencil suggestion. I'll add that to the list.

Didn't think you Victoria folks ever got cold up there in the banana belt! We have cooler weather too and also rain. Some kind of front moving through gave us some reprieve from the forest fires and heat.

I've been in Victoria a couple different times and found it to be a nice city with the flowers and the bay. Not so far from St. Maries, either.

GivenToFly
07-12-2015, 02:11 AM
Ahhhh wrong Victoria my friend :) see the little Aussie flag in the corner ;) ... its 5 degrees Celsius here today and miserable pouring rain ... I guess it could be likened to Seattle in autumn maybe? ... nearly cold enough to snow and if it drops any lower we might see snow!

Been a great day to get some more work done on my current project though!

Bill Linn
07-14-2015, 03:26 AM
Emma, well shucks! Here I thought we were neighbours. If you ever get into this part of the world, I suggest you visit the real Victoria.. But then, I've never been to a different continent.