PDA

View Full Version : First Pastel

Redgrl
07-08-2015, 10:51 PM
:wave:

Sculpting is my usual gig and I'm just starting with some other mediums. This was done with pastel pencils and is on black felt paper (roofing tar paper). I'm taking a class with my Art League and the instructor showed us this paper. It was a lot of fun to work with!

I'm trying to decide if I need more light highlights on the coral. Any thoughts?

Patty

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/KO0wV8.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipKO0wV8j)

water girl
07-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Welcome!!! This is fantasic for a first pastel. You seem to have a background in art, and you are exploring a new medium. There really isn't much to critique, but may I suggest you soften a few of the hard edges in the coral, to make them appear to fade into the background? The fish and fishies in the background are beautiful! I hope you'll return with another painting soon.

GivenToFly
07-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Hi Patty! The colours in this are lovely ... but maybe a little more light would make them really pop? tropical fish are almost neon in colour (to a degree) and I think it would take a really nice piece to something special.
Of course i'm pretty new to pastel myself (and love the medium as well) ... Karen is far more experienced so maybe take her advice LOL

Still-trying
07-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Roof tar paper!!! Amazing. Beautiful painting. Love the fish.

Redgrl
07-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Karen. :) It's funny because I self-taught sculpting and did it for about 6-7 years before an artist friend of mine asked about drawing, etc. I told her I didn't know how and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said if I could sculpt in 3D, I could draw. I tried out a couple of graphite drawings and did fairly well and then had life interfere with my extra curricular activities. So now I'm retired and picking things back up.

I appreciate your comments and I have already softened some of the coral edges. You were right on target with that advice!

Emma, thanks! I know exactly what you mean about saltwater fish. I used to keep a reef aquarium and the fish are striking in color. I'll play around with a little lightening. :)

Hi Jay, thanks for the comments! I know... tar paper... we were surprised in class but it's been a lot of fun working on it.

Barbara WC
07-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Beautiful first pastel! Agree about softening some of the corals, and no, I wouldn't make them any brighter, they would then conflict with the focal point- your beautiful fish!

Tar paper, wow, never heard of that one!

blr2449
07-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Black felt paper! Very interesting. Your painting is beautiful. I really like the purple colors on the fish

Redgrl
07-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the comments, Barbara. I see what you mean about brightening the coral taking away from the fish. Good way of explaining it so that I can use in other projects! :)

blr Barbara, Thanks! It was fun (and daunting at first) to do such a colorful fish. I just love marine life!

pastel lover
07-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Wonderful. Great job on the fish & plants.

Tanja

Charles Perera
07-13-2015, 12:43 PM
It is lively. Congratulations

harles