PDA

View Full Version : Banff sky

cordobesa
07-08-2015, 06:32 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-08-2015/1969512_DSC_0562_(640x500).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Banff sky
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 22x28
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I tried to give my own impression from a picture I took last year in Banff. Mix reality and fantasy. I actually thought I finished a few month ago but kept looking boring. I added lights, shadows and glazing to make it more alive.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am not sure about the trees (if they need something else to keep interest since it is such a big piece of the whole) and the pavement (if it looks to strange and should try to get it more real). The same for the sun (too cartoonish?)
Thank you, all your comments are greatly appreciated.

Bevahlee
07-08-2015, 07:05 PM
well there's something very charming about it, but there's something disturbing about it too. Mainly the green green greens of the trees which go on even in the distance. I would glaze some orange over that in the foreground and some blue to the distant ones to push them away. The sky looks more like a canvas draped over the top. Especially the hard edge between the dark blue and the white. It just needs a bit of tweaking because I like the feel of it

GivenToFly
07-08-2015, 09:43 PM
I agree with Beverly's first statement ... I find myself wanting to look at this and as I move down the piece being overcome with the urge to stop looking ... perhaps it is because the sky (both side of it) looks so pleasing BUT to me it looks like its about to blanket the rest of the piece (which looks so real) with some sort of alter world strangeness ... you now ... life as we know it is about to drastically change!

Is that the effect you were going for? if so I think you captured it beautifully!

cordobesa
07-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Thank you Bevahlee for your comments, great idea the glazing to show distance and enrich foreground.
Thank you Given to fly, the menacing of the sky was a real thunderstorm coming so I wanted to look something like that.

Bevahlee
07-09-2015, 11:01 AM
that cloud layer might be softened this way with the distant trees milkied out with white or light blue. I like this piece.

cordobesa
07-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Thank you Bevahlee! Your photoshop is always very helpful
I will try to smothe the edges in the distance, looks nice.
Cheers!