PDA

View Full Version : Dad's boat at sunset, WIP, advice please

757jewelry
07-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Hello all! I've been dabbling in pastels but it's been a couple of years since I did anything with them so I'm pretty rusty. I figured I'd jump back in by painting my dad's boat since his birthday is coming up. I'm ready for fresh eyes to take a look at it because I think this is feeling a little flat. The water has been very challenging! I know the dock to the left isn't quite right yet either but I think I'll get that right. So please let me know what you think and thanks in advance! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2015/64952-image.jpg

sketchZ1ol
07-08-2015, 05:06 PM
hello
even if your ref pix has lens distortion , get the lines/proportions exactly right !
- it's a drafting thing
- then do the colouring .

a vessel is meant to be sturdy/seaworthy , functional , efficient , and then the amenities - that's what a buyer/owner looks for .

enlarge that photo however you can ( library copier , maybe ) to get close to the scale of the painting
and make line sketches of areas that don't look right .

just my thoughts

Ed

water girl
07-08-2015, 05:19 PM
You are almost there! Don't get discouraged. Ed's idea is great. In a photo, some information is lost....it just happens. If you could enlarge and lighten the photo and determine the "water line" of the boat, rather than the vague dark area, you will be feeling better about finishing. I really like your dynamic sky colors.

Still-trying
07-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Brittany, what a nice gift for you Dad. I love your sky, very beautiful.
I think you have a problem with the far side of the bow rail. It would be connected with the pulpit. Somehow the photo gives the illusion that it is dropped down.
Ed had a good idea to blow up the photo and maybe trace a bit to see where you differ from the lines of the boat. I find boats very difficult myself.
Your Dad will be so happy with his lovely gift after all your hard work.
jay

757jewelry
07-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

Ed: I've lightened it up a bit in Lightroom and attached it below. I actually sketched it out using a projector since I didn't want to chance it drawing by hand since it's been awhile! I'll work on those lines.

Karen: I'll add in a little more of the striping at the bottom to help with the water line. The boat was back lit and it was the best reference my mom had! Lightening it up has helped me find that line.

Jay: Yes, boats are tough! So many little details but I like the painterly effect I get with pastels so it helps a little bit ;) Thanks for the kind words!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2015/64952-reference-.jpg