GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Oregon Trees
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14 x 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I feel that the value of the sand needs to be darkened. Too similar to the value of the sky

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Would appreciate general suggestions. Feel that the painting can be improved but am stuck as to exactly what.

Thanks for your input

Dee

GardenMaven
07-06-2015, 07:13 PM
I would add some light and dark to the sand area to make it rise and fall. Love the trees, very Oregon. I am also from Idaho and this makes me want to visit the Oregon coast again!

xislandman
07-07-2015, 11:12 AM
My nit is the merging of the trees and shrubs... otherwise an interesting piece.

londonA1
07-07-2015, 09:01 PM
The best advice I can give you is to start with some pretty fundamental techniques such as value and differentiation of brush stroke sizes. The painting isn't identifiably a landscape because there is virtually no perspective at all; there are no variations in value, no clear demarcations between adjoining areas either. These are what create the illusion of foreground and background.

There are hundreds of excellent books on introductory landscape painting and I'd recommend getting a couple. Boring as it is, those drawing exercises where you're asked to sketch cubes and spheres in varying levels of light and dark are crucial for the moment when you come to use a paintbrush.

Don't give up though - five years ago I couldn't use oil paint and now I earn a living as a classic-realist portraitist. I'd been sketching since childhood, so I had an unfair advantage, but painting was almost entirely new to me.

Best,

David.

That Artist Woman
07-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Your sky work is quite nice. Pay attention to the direction of the light and how shadows are thrown. This will add drama to your pictures. I agree the merging of the trees and the bushes is confusing to the eye. Sometimes you have to take artistic license and change elements of the scene to make it more attractive. Nice start!

idahogirl
07-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Thank you for all your helpful suggestions. I appreciate it very much.
Dee

GardenMaven
07-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Dee's depiction of the trees is exactly what the trees look like on the Oregon Coast, the tree grove starts on the right and are wind sculpted to the left. The shrub on the left is distinctively different. These tree scapes are exactly what I love about the coast!

idahogirl
07-09-2015, 10:30 AM
The suggestions about the merging of the trees and brush -- Very helpful as well as the suggestion about the sky and more variety in the sand.

However, I cannot fail to respond to LondonA1. I can not believe how pompous and condescending you sound. Perhaps you don't mean it that way. I have been painting for many years and, trust me, I already have many books on landscape painting. Have sold over 100 paintings on Ebay (in the good old days). There was nothing helpful in your post. Sorry but had to get that out.

Dee

Bevahlee
07-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I think Dave meant to help. I can sound pretty curt too at times and I certainly don't mean to be, but I've been critiqued by some tough guys and always wanted to get their honest reaction and I considered myself lucky when I did because it stuck. But he's a new member and I'm sure he only means to help. I've seen some really good critiques by him. Here's my take on it. I just think it needs tweaking with shadows and lights and some changes in the sky to make it interesting.