GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Bridge at Ani
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
At the border between Turkey and Armenia, the bridge ruin marks the point where I believe the Silk Road used to enter the ancient metropolis of Ani. I have cleaned up the landscape by removing the scars of mining on the Armenian side. My aim was to celebrate the spectacular landscape of the Anatolian steppe with a strong sense of place provided by the bridge ruins and the Convent of the Virgins. I had recently seen Corot's The Bridge at Na<br>i in the Louvre and it was in my mind when I painted this picture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My main conce<br>s are compositional. I feel I should crop the foreground but I'm not sure. I mean the bridge ruin to be the focal point but I am not sure I have succeeded in this.

La_
07-03-2015, 01:19 AM
i think your comp is fine and the foreground is saved by the marvellous curve

it's probably more evident in the real life painting, but i question just how vast this scene is suppose to be - i fear you may have lost some depth due to sharp vs soft edges of paint, but don't know - how far is the distance from the foreground path down to the blue area for example - the size of the items down there seem small enough for it to be a few miles away yet the crispness makes it appear closer than that ...

la

Jeff Connell
07-03-2015, 01:30 AM
Thank you for your comments. The distance from the Point of View down to the bridge ruin is about 750m.

La_
07-03-2015, 11:39 AM
good to go then, nice job

la

Bevahlee
07-03-2015, 01:55 PM
beautiful job. luscious browns and that way way distant cloud gives it such depth and distance. Very nice.

TxArcht
07-11-2015, 07:31 PM
My very first impression is there's a lot of brown. You need more colorful elements somewhere. Also some up-close foreground details would add interest.

markr
07-12-2015, 11:45 AM
I sense a ton of potential in this work that is lost due to treating every detail with the same amount of attention. I would rather sense the background with broad blurred strokes than have it articulated with razor sharp precision. The monumental space is somehow lost at the moment.

markr
07-12-2015, 11:56 AM
realizing I gave no hint as to a potential method .. once you have over articulated an area and the paint is dry how to undo that? I would use sandpaper.

oldnmartist
07-14-2015, 03:33 PM
be consistent in the shadowed areas, ie the trees and the one side of bridge.
great detailed work.

~JMW~
07-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Clear sky = maybe a lot more highlights & shadows..
it needs something to punch up the focal as I didn't see it right away..maybe exaggerate the color there and the darks..
soften some edges, vary the browns a bit more, it is a lot of brown and too much the same level of detail/edges overall.. as others mentioned.
the far horizon line could be softened..

you can't go wrong exploring this forum section.. you will learn so much..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

Jeff Connell
07-27-2015, 03:02 AM
Thanks all, for the very helpful comments. Some common themes there, so I will take them on board for the next one.