PDA

View Full Version : Shire Clerks Cottage c1890

laudesan
07-02-2015, 05:03 AM
I went off by myself today to Wynnum. I love the old buildings down there and this is one I have wanted to sketch for a long time. It took me three hours, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I was going to add a wash, but it cold way too cold and I started shivering..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2015/22284-Shire_Clerks_Cottage_Wynnum.jpg
Shire Clerks Cottage Wynnum c.1890
A4 Holcroft 225 gsm sketchbook and 0.3 Uni Pin pen

I don't like the cross hatching I did for the shadows under the verandah, so I stopped doing it, as I didn't want to spoil my drawing. Can anybody tell me how I should do the hatching for those shadows?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2015/22284-Shire_Clerks_Cottage_Wynnum2.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Uschi
07-02-2015, 08:19 AM
JJ, that looks REALLY good!!!!!! Why don't you make some photocopies of the drawing and try different methods there.
Uschi

mozapony
07-02-2015, 09:59 AM
JJ. I hope that you do know, you really are an amazing sketch artist. A joy to view your work. All of your sketches will look so wonderful in your art portfolio. Wishing you a good day. hugs.
Sandee

zebby
07-02-2015, 12:10 PM
great job on this! your pen work is so delicate.

DrDebby
07-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Awesome job. Copy your sketch and try a few different methods to add shading. See what works for you, then go for it.

Scene Chaser
07-02-2015, 02:23 PM
JJ, this is a fabulous sketch!! I love to sketch buildings. Great job!!
Bill

laudesan
07-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Thank you Uschi!! Now that sounds like a great idea.

Sandee you are sweet. Thank you..

Zebby, thank so much.

Debby thank you, yes that seems like a great idea. I could also draw several verandahs and try different methods on them I guess..

Bill.. Thank you. I am happy with this one, and I now feel a little more confident of going around the city sketching the 1800's buildings. It is harder there though, as they are jammed between highrises, and seating is non existent, one has a limited choice on the pavement. Still I do want to do it. :)

eyepaint
07-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Great job! Did you do pencil first to figure out the proportions?

laudesan
07-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Yes, I did draw a lot of it out with pencil first. My first attempt had me running out of paper :D

There is no shame it using all the tools you need to make a sketch work..

I will next time, draw my border on my page as I do, then draw the box for the house and work out the proportions in the box. That way I wont run out of paper and will get it right the first time ..

vhere
07-12-2015, 04:30 AM
Excellent! A challenging subject

laudesan
07-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Thank you for looking Vivienn.

star fisher
07-15-2015, 10:15 AM
For shading, try parallel lines. Cross hatching is too disruptive.

laudesan
07-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Thank you Star, yes i will, and you are quite right.. :)

Joan T
08-16-2015, 12:34 PM
This came out lovely! You did so many wonderful details that give it such character.

robertsloan2
08-16-2015, 11:25 PM
It looks really good! Crosshatching can work, but works best if you're using it to distinguish deeper shadow from lighter. Also in the space available, it looks like the lines are a bit long to control and keep even. I've done a lot of hatching and crosshatching but angled or straight, using parallel hatched lines without crosshatching gives a smoother look for shading. Then only crosshatch very small detail areas shadow within a shadow.

One way to get the value deeper is to put the lines closer together. But since you've already crosshatched, create some of that texture on a scratch sheet. Then try adding vertical lines right across your crosshatching to even it up. You can even up areas of shadow that are lighter by putting the verticals closer together while spreading them apart over darker sections to get an even tone.

Another thing that helps is a penciled guideline to the hatched or crosshatched shadow area.

Stippling comes out smooth and lovely but takes a long time and gets boring with many hand cramps. Takes a lot of practice to stipple well.

Anyway if you add parallel verticals to smooth it out that may make the texture less distracting. I've also found when lines are long it's good to break them irregularly so I'm not drawing a long parallel freehand line, just not matching where the breaks fall to create light patterns in it.

Try different pen textures on scratch paper. If you have ArtistsnetworkTV, watch some of the Claudia Nice videos on pen and watercolor or pen drawing. Or get one of her books like "Textures in Pen and Watercolor." She goes into so many different ways to shade effectively with a pen and even get light values.

Crosshatching was the first shading method I learned as a child when I got obsessed with pen drawing and detailed realism. I could get it with a life drawing of an inanimate object but it took a lot of tries to get the shading smooth. I remember how hard it was. It's also like handwriting, the type of lines you use will develop into a personal style after a while.

The drawing is wonderful and detailed! I can see why you wanted those values. Of course the cheat I didn't have as a kid was to use a watersoluble pen and just wash out shadows with a wet brush. Or swish them in with dilute ink and a wet brush. That could also help if your paper would stand up to it. If not, then using a light gray marker like a Tombow dual tip marker or any manufacturer's light gray marker or light blue could let you distract from the crosshatched textures and smooth it out, creating fast lovely shadows.

There's more than one way to scan a cat!

Heck, scan this, print it out and try different techniques on printouts. You could rub dry pastel powder in for a dry wash and then erase it away to give it a clean edge. Likewise graphite powder. Lots of ways to play with it.

laudesan
08-17-2015, 02:25 AM
Dear Robert. Thank you for your long and informative post. I appreciate more than I can say.

Yes I will practice some shading techniques. I have done stippling and enjoy it, but like you said, it is tedious and hand craps are a problem.

I do have watersoluble pens here, I hadn't thought of that. I have watersoluble graphite too, but I really wanted to do this in permanent ink.

I do want to master the technique of hatching. I shall keep practicing.

Thank you again. I was thrilled to open your post and read it.

KreativeK
09-02-2015, 09:59 PM
This is really special, JJ! Love the old buildings and how sketches make them come alive once again.

laudesan
09-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Thank you Kay. I really enjoyed drawing this building, it is just gorgeous in person.