PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost July 2015

*Deirdre*
07-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us!
I'm sure Robert will be along very soon to welcome you!

Mij
07-01-2015, 09:21 PM
July 2015 Art Goals
Thanks Deaidre for starting the thread.

I need to re-iterate June's goals and re-organize them into more easily accomplished steps.
I will have to be a little more focussed on them and fit them in where ever I can, smaller increments will help.
Make 8 separators for the pastel box,, discard unwanted ones if not needed.
Categorize all sticks in the spectrum hues of R, O, Y, G, B, and V. Grey is where Black and White will reside (ATMIT- at this moment in time) Fit earth colours at the end.
Determine the make and model of the CPU fan on this computer, source and fit. Give feed back to the techies (this is an art goal as I am non-commudicado with out it)
Do a spotlight of the skies it would be nice to do this if I can get the sticks organized in time.
I hope you are alright Robert?

Jim

robertsloan2
07-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Purr thank you, Deirdre! I forgot to go early yesterday and I went to bed sort of early too so didn't tink of it. This morning I was kind of groggy and then went out for my shot, forgetting it was the first. Mew!

So thank you for jumping in! Next month I'll start it early.

Jim, thanks! I'm okay, just tired from going out and from the 2 hour wait for the van when the nurse was delayed by a lot of others coming in and so I didn' get seen till 3. Didn't really leave till 5pm. Just kind of winding down now.

Goals for July:

1) Daily painting! Keep that good habit up.
2) Increase how much art I do every day, with more days having multiple sketches, sessions or artish activity.
3) Do the SPotlight
4) Finish my old Spotlight
5) Try to work on some writing, editing or blogging.

Taking it easy this month, don't know what the weather will do but July is sometimes unendurably hot. Might wind up with lots of sketching, might do more pastels, who knows?

Norma46
07-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Hello all and happy fourth of July to those in the US of A.

I made fair progress on goals in June and here are my goals for July.

I completed the pastel class I was taking through a local art league last night, so it is a goal completed. I am attaching below the "final" project from that class.

I plan to do at least one spotlight challenge (oddly yesterday I completed a sky-scape from a picture I took in Florida) yesterday... but it was in oil.

I broke down and purchased the set of 80 pan pastels, so this month I am going to devote myself to at least 3 paintings of credible quality using pans (or mostly pans).

I also plan to complete at least three of the drawing 101 classes (they are now taking much more time commitment than the early classes which I could complete in a single day).

Good luck all on your goals.

Mij
07-03-2015, 03:17 AM
Hi there Robert and I am glad that all is ok with you and that it was just tiredness. You had a 2 hour wait? Gosh that is something. You have a nice set of criditable goals there, so I hope you achieve them all. It will next be the 4th of July for you peeps so happy day to you all.

Hiya Norma46, you are a very busy person, sort of well organized. A good set of goals and yes you did very well in June. The pans look to be very good for skies so perhaps they may well help.
Jim

robertsloan2
07-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Norma, that is so great! Congratulations on getting that full range set of Pans. They're fantastic. Looking forward to seeing your paintings! Pans are versatile too, they work well with all other sorts of pastels.

Tthanks, Jim! The big holiday for me is personal. July 6th is the anniversary of Ari Cat's "Home Day," the first moment we met. July 6th, 2000 was the day my friend Andrew returned from visiting his daughter, my friend Katy, for 4th of July, and brought me a six week old kitten with black ears and a tiny black mask just covering his nose over a bigger tabby mask that went around his eyes. He had two masks as a baby kitten, it was so cute.

He didn't weigh anything, wasn't even half a pound I think. He was about 3/4 fur and curled up to sleep in my hand. I didn't move my hand for almost an hour. He's never lost that kitten cuteness even though now he takes up my entire lap.

Judibelle
07-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Hi there, Deirdre,Jim, Rob, and Norma....Happy July! I can't believe how fast June went by. No goals, nothing done. Hope to make July more productive.

Keeping the goals simple..1..get back into sketching
2...do at least one Spotlight

That's it. If I do that, I will feel I've accomplished something.

ligerwolve
07-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Hello all! :)

Good luck Jim with those goals. They seem very doable :) Painting the sky sounds nice.

Awww how lovely Robert! I can just picture Ari as a tiny kitten :heart: We obviously don't celebrate 4th of July like you guys do but it is my nieces 18th birthday!

Happy 4th of July to those in the US. A bit early but I will probably be unable to get online then.

That's quite a list Norma. Good luck! I have some pan pastels but I haven't had a chance to use them yet which is a shame. I look forward to seeing what you can do with them.

Sounds like a plan Judibelle, all the best with it. :)

My goals are pretty simple now. I have lots to send off, organise and plenty of cleaning and sorting! So my art goals are pretty simple now I have finished all the paid work (just finishing off the white lion) and that's to paint as many pictures as I can!

I have 5 outlines ready to go but Id like to be able to fit in another 5 or more. That's the goal :) Probably doesn't sound like much but it will be very busy around here to get them all done.

I am getting very nervous! Only one month left.

Mij
07-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Hello Judi. Yes June went by real fast so it seemed. I got no art goals either other than redecorate one of the bedroom walls with a new sprayer. You have a couple of achievable goals there. I hope you get motivated.

Thanks for good luck wishes Janet . Yes I am really wanting to have a go at thesunset on the new touch paper. You seem to have done well this past month with all your goals. And of course it seems as if you are busy this month too. I hope you can get them all done to time as well.
jim

Judibelle
07-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Hi Janet Good luck with your goal! I'm rootin' for ya!
Jim...Have you started the Spotlight yet?

I am so happy...I actually got to start one today. Just have to go back and 'smooth' it out...it's not quite done. But I also finished one that has been on my easel since May! ( One of my own photos). Feels good to get back to it...but it feels like starting all over....forgetting all the techniques...feel like a real 'beginner' again....

Robert...Wishing you and Ari a Happy July 6......our Chihuahua came to us on Aug.5 as a tiny baby....so we celebrate also....

Mij
07-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Jim...Have you started the Spotlight yet?
Hi Judi. Not yet, I'll have to sort out the pastel values first :angel::clear::lol:.
Didn't go to archery today.....rain stopped play.
jim

Colourist52
07-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Hi everyone, I haven't been around for a long time. The last year has not been a good one for me and my pastels have hardly been used, but I've been thinking about art constantly and also watching the great work that everyone here has been posting. I really want to start painting regularly again so I thought that if I post goals here it may help.

I don't want to be too ambitious so -

1. Finish the seascape I started 12months ago as a present for my daughter.

2. Start a new painting, ( a skyscape or flower, experiment with gold leaf)

Dougwas
07-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi Gang

Just want you all to know that I am still around. It hasn't been a very productive time for my art the past few weeks. We had to head to Vancouver for almost two weeks to help out the in-laws again. I had every intention of painting while down there, but I was the designated driver for errands and I don't think a day went by without me going out shopping or taking people to appointments. When we finally got home it took me a week to get back to my "normal" and I tried doing some painting every day, even if it was a quick sketch. Just when I started feeling better my mouth started hurting. I had no idea where the pain was coming from, but all I knew was it hurt like heck.:angel: Luckily my dentist just got back from vacation and he saw me yesterday, his first day back. He looked around where I thought the pain was coming from and he couldn't see anything wrong, so he took an x ray and informed me that I have an abscessed tooth and I need a root canal. :eek: I now have a weeks supply of penicillin and an appointment at the beginning of August. My mouth was killing me today until an hour ago, so hopefully the penicillin is kicking in. If it is like this I will be able to paint.:crossfingers:

I had plans for this month. I was asked to donate a watercolor painting for a fundraiser for a volunteer fire dept that my uncle belongs to. He has been very helpful to us over the years and I want to come up with a painting for him. I have it all planned out, so it's just getting it down on the paper. So, I guess I may as well set some goals and see what happens. Not the best attitude, but that's all I can do.

1 Paint an 8 x 10 watercolor painting for fire dept fundraiser.
2 Paint a birthday card for a family friend.
3 Join the Thompson Nicola Shuswap chapter of the Federation of Canadian Artists.
4 Continue watching art videos and reading art books when I can't paint.

There we go. No mention of the course, but if I get things done and my mouth improves I might be able to get back at it.

Doug

Mij
07-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Hello to you colourist52. Nice to meet you for the first time I think. You have a couple of achievable goals there so the best of luck with them. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that starts a painting and does not finish it, :lol:.

Hi there Doug. Sorry to hear the inlaws are going through a patch and to hear about the sore mouth :(. At least the dentist was able to put his finger on the problem even if it is a root canal jobbie.....ugh :eek:. I hope the treatment (root canal jobbie) does the job and you can get back to painting and those goals :D.
Jim

robertsloan2
07-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Oh wow! I missed too many days!

Great goals, Judi, Julie and Doug! Purring at you! Ari frisks around chasing his tail and shedding Cat Hairs of Inspiration at you!

Funny, I've got the same story. I've been having a long bout of extended chronic fatigue - not the chronic pain being worse, just the constant tiredness and sleeping like my cat.

Yesterday: Artish - my Blick boxes came and I unpacked the 21lb big box with all the Clearance frames and presentation books, replacement Porcelan Palettes that I missed since the move, replacement Sepia Pigma Microns and one black Prismacolor Watercolor pencil, ten full sheets of Canson Mi-Tientes in Black, Moonstone and the 8 colors not included in the bulk-pack 10 color assortments. When I get all five assortments I'll have a couple of duplicate favorite colors and every color of Mi-Tientes all at once, which can get quartered or halved and then replaced when down to the last piece. I wanted to do that for years, since at least 1990! Other thing I literally wanted to get for decades is finally in my hands, the Budget Skull replica skull now stars in my Still Life Objects collection. Haven't named him yet but he's grinning at me on the table at a jaunty angle. So much cooler than "find a photo of a skull" because I can decide the angle and setup now.

Today: Artish. The big stack of half a dozen unused frames and a packaged lovely painting I bought but haven't framed yet are starting to diminish. Walking past the stack was inconvenient. So, shell painting taken out of a black frame and put in a beige one that looks better with it, freeing black for something that needs it (the nice painting I bought). Another beige frame got a new warm white mat and the Marigold and Petunias painting I did on Mi-Tientes in a long past Spotlight. I loved that painting on the sketch wall and it was time to frame it.

So "Use the frames I bought, cut mats and use them all" is another goal for this month. I bought a 16" x 20" one on Clearance and realized no, I'm probably not going to paint that enormous, let's not store it. I'll just cut a double opening mat and use it for two or perhaps three small works, which makes it a bargain and a more difficult planning task to work out layout. That mat will be tricky to cut but beautiful once it's all put together.

I might also want to paint that frame gold because all three paintings that'd go well in it are very saturated with black mats, gold would suit them well.

Next up I really need to do last month's Spotlight but with Memento Mori on my desk, I'm so tempted to just grab some pastels and a Mi-Tientes sheet and do him for the first time. At least a first study. It's odd, the skull's cream colored plastic and the teeth bright cold white, it's like he got tooth brightening done postmortem.

Massive condolences on the tooth abscess, Doug. If you're getting relief that probably is the penicillin, my sinus infection was comparable and started in a gum infection, erythromycin knocked it out a bit on the first day and dang, pain nearly gone on the second. Sorry the trip didn't give you any paiinting time either, that's so rough. Hope you can get back to it.

Ari and I spent a lovely anniversary together. He enjoyed his catnip but what he really, really wanted was to monopolize my lap and attention all day long. I'm still spoiling him with lots of lap time. Vaguely chilly weather has led to a happily clingy cat!

I might lean more toward water media for a while with the porcelain palettes back and a perfect spot for two of them. When he's in my lap I can do small journal pieces around him easier than pasteling, don't like getting dust in his fur since he won't appreciate a wet towel afterward and can't throw his coat in the laundry like I do my pants. Really tempted ot get a painting apron - I could always just tie it loose enough that if he wants lap, I slip it over him like a cat blanket. Or leave it untied at the waist, same thing. It's now on the list again.

Judibelle
07-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Hi Julie...Welcome back!
Doug...Always good to see you here! You stay away too long.Sorry about your tooth problems....that's nasty! Hope things are better now!
Rob Memento Mori seems to be taking up a bit of your time...Have fun with it!

I did get a Spotlight done...thanks Rob for your encouraging words...may start work on another But...
I have been asked to do a show for the month of Aug. at a local bank. Each month someone's work is shown, auspices of the Art League I belong to...and I haven't really done any new stuff in a while. So I.m going to include some older (last couple of years) ones that need to be framed...(.My son-in-law will help me pick then out. I trust his judgment)
Only need about 8 or 9....so I'm scrambling to get them ready.

a good incentive to start on some new ones for new shows coming up. I already missed the 2 summer shows the League sponsors...oh well...

robertsloan2
07-11-2015, 04:06 AM
Oh it took up my attention! Been thinking about this for a long time and need to do some preliminary studies. Your past paintings included some real stunners, have fun framing and showing!

I wiped out and didn't paint, the chronic fatigue whapped me. But framing and mat cutting are artish!

robertsloan2
07-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Wow! The "Matting and Framing" project continues! This morning I cut the 12" square black mat for the Rose painting and framed it in the blue frame. Also cut the shape of the 16" x 20" multi hole mat but not the holes, just got the big board cut down and it's ready to plan the layout. I took down several of my Sketch Wall paintings. I either packed them in Clear Bags or put them into the two sizes of presentation book I bought on the last round.

And then took a break and painted the next layer of my Storm Skyscape painting, which is last month's Spotlight and also this month's Spotlight. When all the stages are done I'll post in Gallery as a demo with a description of each layer.

I got to that because I decided to sketch my skull or my plastic pear on a small 5 x 7" piece of Mi Tientes just for fun - but the little clip board was already occupied! I'm back on the dusty side again!

So now I've got the start of some cool little presentation books with good paintings to let people flip through. I should get a 9 x 12" one too for pad size sketches since I do so many good pad size sketches. For now the clear bags work to protect them.

So it's been a very, very productive day so far. I may even do more painting or framing!

robertsloan2
07-12-2015, 03:08 AM
Total for today. Matted Red Red Rose and the gorgeous red rocks painting I bought from Sarah Rose months ago. Framed them. Cut blank for 16 x 20" painting. Took down the entire Sketch Wall on one side of the room. Hung four paintings putting up nails. Put all the art I took down away in Clear Bags or in my 8 x 10" Profolio or 5 x 7" Profolio presentation books.

And did a layer on my June-July Spotlight, Storm Skyscape.

Wow. This has been the best day of the year for 2015. The very best. Time to move my lap cat and go to bed. Three empty frames to go, one huge.

Mij
07-12-2015, 05:04 AM
That sounds terrific Robert. Anything artish counts and although they may not be amongst the listed goals we count them as well.
It is hot here as well. If I open a window I get a young chick calling for food relentlessly all day long. I thought the plasticlad we had put up a few years back had meant no nests but that chirp is loud. I stay under the ceiling fan most of the time but the grandchildren came around yesterday so I was on kitchen duty.
I hope you and Ari had a good sleep :thumbsup:.

Best of luck Judi on finding enough for the show.

Jim

robertsloan2
07-13-2015, 09:29 AM
Aw, the hungry chick sounds cute. I heard birds outside a few days ago, was just relaxing and I think several sparrows were having a large argument up on the roof one storey up from me.

Heh, after all that work yesterday I took it easy, rested my back. Took one sketch down and put it away. The one thing reorganizng the sketch wall is good for is that with everything put away or framed, I'm getting the itch to paint and sketch and fill the wall again.

It's funny but the slowdown sometimes hits just as I run out of space on the sketch wall. I should probably keep that in mind and clear it regularly just to stay motivated. For some time if I wanted to put something up, I had to take something down.

Judibelle
07-13-2015, 11:51 AM
WoW! Rob...You really accomplished a Lot! I need to do some 'weeding', myself. I tend to stand my finished (and unfinished) work along the wall of the basement area where I work. Most have them have been 'up' for a long while...you have motivated me to do some cleaning up...

Jim...it's HOT here, too...we don't have air conditioning...only ceiling fans, but I prefer it that way.
We, also, have a young robin family...very tame. They don't mind our chihuahua at all...

I've picked out what I think will work for the Show next month...now have to frame a couple that have been 'standing' awhile to use as well...

Dougwas
07-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Robert- You are on a framing roll! Artwork always seems to look better when it is framed. Maybe it puts a finishing touch to it. Hope you are still going strong!

Judi- You get to show off your art! Nice! I am sure it will look great. And I know I should come around here more often. I have a daily routine and I should include checking out the Goal Post in the routine. Bad Doug!:angel: :evil: I will promise to come visit my longtime friends more often.

Jim- I hope the weather has cooled down for you. It is difficult to concentrate on anything when it is too hot.

We have been having an early heat wave here as well. Yesterday was great! It only got up to 22 c (71 f) and it was a welcome relief. We hit 38 c (100 f) last week. Yes. It can get that hot in Canada.:eek: We do have air conditioning, but we don't use it until late in the afternoon. Call me a wimp.;)

I have been doing a good job on my goals. The 8 x 10 watercolor landscape is done and I will be mailing it to my uncle on Monday. The watercolor birthday card is done and will be in the mail on Monday as well. I have also been watching videos and reading art books. I even started a goal I thought I had written down. I want to do an ink and watercolor wash cottage scene for my in-laws and did a 5 x 7 study. I am happy with it except for the background trees. I just need to tame the trees down and it should look okay.

So there we go. I have been busy doing art and that is what counts. Have a great weekend everyone! I hope it involves some painting!

Doug

Mij
07-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Yes Robert, cute at your distance from it :D. It gets so that I want to hang out the window and feed it my self. Sparrows are funny to watch. I find them fascinating.

Hi Judi, I can control the window opening and the fan speed as I have a computer room to myself as does SWMBO (my boys have there own homes). What I find unusual is to have the heating on one day and the next day it is so hot that I need the fan on. The reverse is true at the end of summer.

Hi there Doug and pleased that you managed some time on your goals. You have done well. You even managed one that you hadn't written down. Those sound like pretty extreme temperatures to me, luckily ours are quite moderate I suppose.

It was warm again today so I went shopping. Some of the aisles in the supermarket are very cool. I don't think I have any thermometers to hand so I cannot give temps.
I have yet to get going on goals - I spend too much time on reading the mail and watching youtube etc. I also find I learn a lot on google as well :)
jim

GrannyBee1254
07-19-2015, 04:36 AM
HI, all! For this month, I want to:
1:) Continue my art education through videos at home.
2:) Paint at least 3 times per week.
3:) Better organize my studio.
I guess I'll just leave it at that for now. On the days when I'm not physically up to painting, I at least need to watch some art history videos, technique videos, etc. It has a way keeping me focused on art.

Betty Smith

Judibelle
07-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Doug....Good Going on your goals....I'm so glad you've been able to do Art this month!

Jim....Hope you get to do SOMEthing art-wise this month...(The month is just barreling by at such a quick pace!)

Good goals, Betty...always good to do' reading and watching' when you can't actually paint.

I did the one Spotlight....and that's all I've gotten to. Still busy getting ready for the August show. I pretty much know which ones I'll exhibit...just gotta price and label them all. (Not that anything ever sells at the Bank shows...but
just in case....)

robertsloan2
07-23-2015, 01:14 AM
Purr hi Betty! Glad to see you here! Great goals!

Jim, yeah, I hear you. Supermarkets are great when it's too hot out to get a break from it. And yeah, youtube and Google and email can soak so much time when I want to paint. I'm still trying to rearrange my time so that I can paint more.

Judi, loved your Spotlight! At least you got that one done, it was great. Good luck on the Bank show and getting ready of it, hope you sell something this time and break the pattern!

I got in some art! First, I was asked to write an article for a coloring book site so I'm working on that in colored pencils with a floral original line art floral I drew. Then I painted a watercolor page of sleeping Ari from life a couple days ago and sketched Mt. Fuji in watercolor pencils today. So creeping back toward daily art. Need to work on coloring that page and finishing the article (due end of month) and finish my Spotlight.

robertsloan2
07-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Finished the article and artwork today! Not posting it till the article appears, but just sent it off. Fun getting out my Prismacolors again. Now to work on my June-July Spotlight so it doesn't turn into my June-July-August Spotlight...

robertsloan2
07-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Today, finally got back to pastels! I don't know why I've been so reluctant to finish that ongoing painting. It's almost like it'd be easier to drop it and use a different piece of paper to do a wild stormy sky by itself. But I did something small at least - a 5 x 7" hard pastel sketch of a cow. Also sorted my pastels and got my Unisons box cleared off so maybe what I needed for the Spotlight was the bigger palette of 120 Unisons...

robertsloan2
07-28-2015, 02:21 AM
Daily sketching and a bit of organizing today. Did a page of basic sketches with a Conte' sketch pencil that feels like a black Conte' crayon with a wood case. I think I'm developing a sub-goal of using up that cheap Bazic sketchbook. My friend bought me half a dozen of them, that's so much paper, I really need to sketch big, often and lots!

Judibelle
07-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Hi Rob...Glad to see you are able to get something done each day! I really liked your cow on facebook, by the way...nicely done.

It's been a slow month for art, for me...but at least I did a Spotlight and one from my own sunset photo, over the river in Montreal...
(Thanks so much for you comments on it, Rob)

robertsloan2
07-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Thank you! I meant to work on my pastel painting today, but instead wound up with some help when my home carer came back early from shopping. So with his help I took down the last of the unframed art, cut mats with his handing me things while I was down on the floor and framed my Colourful Cherries in an interesting way in a square frame.

I opened a package I carried here from Arkansas with two small paintings by Colorix - her portrait of Ari from a WDE that I hosted in 2009 and her plein air study for Orangerie, included with the big painting i bought from her. I hadn't framed them yet when I decided to move to SF so I just stored them in her packaging ... for four years. They were perfect, her packing was fantastic. Here's a photo of the last grouping!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2015/70184-7-28-2015_Framed_Art.jpg

Tomorrow's my clinic day, may or may not have any pastels. I might work on it in the morning. Did sort of work on it in mind though and I'm still keeping my Unisons cleared off!

Major project complete though. No more unused frames stacked up. No more unframed art on the walls either except a tiny ACEO by Karen Margulis that I need to buy a small frame for - and figure out how to mount it with the edges showing. Till then it can stay in her sturdy little clearbag mount.

Judibelle
07-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Love your framed artworks....the black mats are outstanding. Good job!

ullahennig
07-30-2015, 11:16 AM
I love the black mats, Robert!
I have been doing at least two small format painting each week during July. Needed this as a kind of therapeutic activity because I am in the middle of a big webrelaunch project at the Berlin University of the Arts, and doing art is the right thing to do after a day full of doing computery things.

robertsloan2
07-31-2015, 01:55 AM
Thank you! No art today, home care came. Some cleaning up and sorting of art stuff. I've got only ONE more day for tat Spotlight. It's out hanging on the wall right at hand and the pastels are handy and cleared off and I still couldn't get going on it. This is ridiculous. I'm riding deadline. I miss doing Spotlight spontaneously without doing any thumnails or preliminary studies.

There is a reason I don't usually actually DO all that planning stuff! It has to do with time and interruptions and health and losing energy for the project before I've got it done. Didn't paint anything else either because I wasn't going to mess with the new supplies till I did my Spotlight.

Mij
07-31-2015, 08:27 PM
Hi there Robert, you have done something then. The framed piccies look fine on the wall. I understand that you only do art when you are not in pain. But you do have your assistent Ari with you so you can get some help. I expect you can follow the appreciative purring language by now :D.

Hiya JudiB. I am glad you made a spotlight and one other. That helps to keep the art eye in so to speak. Yes. The month has gone barrelling by all sorts of things turn up don't they.

Hi Ulla, so you made two piccies a week well done. That is two more than I did.

This month has had me facing lots of problems. I am thinking of giving up archery as the rotator cuff in my bow arm (left) is letting me know when its time to stop . And that is with a super light compound bow wound down as low as it goes. I do watch points as my sisters remind me that I am not 18 any more, shh, I am now 73.
SWMBO has booked us on some astronomy courses this September as the observatory is not all that distant.

The fan that is computer controlled on the CPU on this computer has started whistling so that needs sourcing and replacing.

The scanner on the AIO Dell printer has stopped working so perhaps it is time for a new one.

I've lost all the tedious work where I logged my WC, acrylic, pastel and oil paint DVDs and wasted time looking for them.
Today is the last day of this month and I've done nothing towards my goals.
Jim

Dougwas
07-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Jim- I hope things cooled down for you and you got some painting done. It isn't easy being creative when you are sweating.

Betty- I bet you did a great job on your goals. Let us know how you did.

Judi- Good job on the Spotlight painting. Framing and pricing sounds like fun to me! I am sure your paintings will look fantastic in the frames.

Robert- Those framed paintings look great! And two of Charlie's paintings!! I don't have any of hers, but we have four of Paula Ford's paintings. My wife loves her paintings. So do I.

You are doing what you can do. I understand what you mean about skipping the planning stage. You don't want to "waste" your energy when you could be painting instead. Keep doing what you are doing and don't get discouraged. You are doing great!

Ulla- You must NEED to paint after working on computers all day long. Your right brain needs to have fun.

My goals for this month

1 Paint an 8 x 10 watercolor painting for fire dept fundraiser.
2 Paint a birthday card for a family friend.
3 Join the Thompson Nicola Shuswap chapter of the Federation of Canadian Artists.
4 Continue watching art videos and reading art books when I can't paint.

Checks for goals 1,2 and 4. I also did a Pan Pastel painting for the Spotlight, so that was a bonus. I will look into joining the TNS chapter of the Federation of Canadian Artists next month. I guess it ws a pretty good month. I have a heavier load for next month.

Doug

robertsloan2
08-01-2015, 02:23 AM
Thank you! I love Paula Ford's paintings too. I have one in Arkansas and might think about buying another to hang here - hard to get everything shipped from Arkansas but if I visit Kitten I'll be bringing stuff back in my luggage!

Today I did it. Finished the big goal, the June-July Spotlight is done right on deadline. I realized why I had so many interruptions too. Good days when I was up to physical things like mat cutting and framing, I get those long awaited things done instead of painting. I did a lot this month. May leave next month's goals loose instead of specific.

So let's see how well I did...

1) Daily painting! Keep that good habit up. Not
2) Increase how much art I do every day, with more days having multiple sketches, sessions or artish activity. Yes!
3) Do the SPotlight Yes!
4) Finish my old Spotlight Yes!
5) Try to work on some writing, editing or blogging. Yes!

Writing, i got caught up again after a month of forgetting to post on Rob's Daily Painting, with two catch-up posts and then kept it up. Also wrote an article with demo for colored pencils website that was accepted and the owner wants four more! So writing got done!

A total sweep if daily painting counts as As Can, given weather alternately knocked me over and brought me up to doing Artish things like framing and organizing supplies that I normally don't have the body energy for. This was a massively productive month. Several different people have commented that with all the paintings framed, my room looks like an art gallery!