PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble July/August 2015

Shirl Parker
07-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

:wave:

CM Neidhofer
07-01-2015, 08:11 PM
My granddaughter, Saundra, is 5 years old today!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2015/40633-Saundras_5th_birthday2_7-1-15.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2015/40633-Saundrs_5th_birthday_7-1-15.jpg

blr2449
07-01-2015, 10:16 PM
What a cutie!!

robertsloan2
07-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Aww happy birthday, Saundra! What a great age to have one, when it's new and such a big deal!

Thanks for making it a two-month post this time. Makes sense. It doesn't fill that fast.

Ari purrs at everyone and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration at large! The uploader isn't working or I'd post a new picture, got him in a very silly upside-down head position a couple of days ago and it's very cute.

DBfarmgirl
07-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I've been a hermit the last couple months.....

Christine- I loved when my boy was that age, so much fun. Enjoy her for me until I get a Grandkid to spoil.

Robert- I hope you're feeling better, I didn't post, but lurked for a while and saw you were fighting off a bug.

We've been busy here between rainstorms. We lost a lot of ash trees to the emerald ash borer, so we've been cutting the diseased ones hoping to slow the spread. There a so many beautiful BIG trees that are dying, it makes me sick. I'm hoping a few escape to reseed after (I hope) the insects leave. My husband keeps teasing my son that we're going to cut 6 years of firewood before he leaves for the Navy (his diver contract is 6 years). I think he's only half joking.

My big yellow lab, Otis is 11 now. He hadn't been doing well for a while, he just seemed off. took him to the vet and started him on meds for his arthritis- WOW what a difference. I had tried to get weight on him this last year because he was getting a little thin in the back, I didn't think he looked like he gained anything, but he's up to 132 pounds! I need to get about 10 pounds back off, but that shouldn't be too hard with his new found energy. He hears the pill bottle rattle and comes running.

I've been in a bit of a funk lately. I've painted some, not as much as I could. I keep hoping when we get a few more milestones out of the way I can relax and settle in again.

robertsloan2
07-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Oh yeah, I can understand! All that going on, it's hard to focus on painting.

Yeah, I had a bad infection in my face and needed antibiotics. It's over now thankfully, back to normal. Elevator's still out in my building so every 2 weeks when I go out, I wind up seriously overexerting.

In cleaning out some drawers I found a small khaki travel bag that is just the right size to carry some supplies without being too heavy when completely stuffed. It's back in use and worked out well yesterday when I went in for my shot. Unfortunately a goof up canceled my appointmnt so I had to go as a Drop In and didn't get seen till a half hour after my return ride was scheduled. Then the return ride took 2 hours to get me, so I was out way too long and got seriously wiped out. I think most of yesterday I slept.

blr2449
07-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Well, I have to admit I've been in a daze lately ever since I was told I was being let go. I work 4 days next week and that's it. I haven't done one stroke of art, even though I think about it a lot. LOL Trying to get everything in order, getting all the information I need to make the right decisions about my future. It's quite stressful and had taken a toll on me. I just want the whole thing to be over. :confused: On one hand I know I will be a lot happier, on the other hand I've been working for decades and to have it stop suddenly...well.....

So, I really AM looking forward to painting more and enjoying it more, I guess I'm just impatient to get started. :lol:

blr2449
07-03-2015, 11:21 PM
DB, I'm so glad Otis is getting his 2nd puppy hood back. 11 isn't really that old, so I hope you have lots more fun years with him.

Robert, good to hear your stubborn infection is gone. It's terrible that the elevator in your building still hasn't been fixed. Aren't there codes for those things? I hope they get it fixed soon. You shouldn't have to go through such exhaustion.

robertsloan2
07-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Oh there's codes and my building is in violation. I'm just afraid that it'll be shut down because I might not find another place I can live if it is. Better to wait and hope the owners can keep putting the city off, had a real scare several months ago but it wasn't shut down.

blr2449
07-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Robert, I hope they get their act together for your sake. :crossfingers:

Happy 4th. Hope the noise isn't getting to Ari

robertsloan2
07-06-2015, 02:12 AM
Actually, that's the thing - there weren't any loud fireworks or people firing guns this year. It was quiet. I'm sure there was a show in the park or at the beach but it was far away from me.

A little odd but a nice change from years I got startled by sudden explosive sounds. Ari grew very calm about them as a seasonal event.

blr2449
07-06-2015, 04:04 PM
We had one holed up in a neighbor's garage. He finally came out last evening. :cat:

*Deirdre*
07-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Well, I have to admit I've been in a daze lately ever since I was told I was being let go. I work 4 days next week and that's it. I haven't done one stroke of art, even though I think about it a lot. LOL Trying to get everything in order, getting all the information I need to make the right decisions about my future. It's quite stressful and had taken a toll on me. I just want the whole thing to be over. :confused: On one hand I know I will be a lot happier, on the other hand I've been working for decades and to have it stop suddenly...well.....

So, I really AM looking forward to painting more and enjoying it more, I guess I'm just impatient to get started. :lol:
Barbara...just think of all the things you never had time to do....and maybe the small sort out jobs...sometime...we all leave until we get a 'roundtoit'! You'll soon realise you are too busy to miss work, and wonder how you ever had time for it! :lol:

In case some of you are wondering why I've been so quiet...we moved a couple of hours nearer our daughters...just in time to meet Erin Lily, born 23 May ....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2015/33616-erin-crop.jpg
Needless to say....she is a precious gift!
I've also had problems getting a decent internet speed...which has now improved......not great, but better! I can't think of getting out my pastels just yet...have to get straight first!

robertsloan2
07-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Aww she's beautiful! Congratulations! You could do a portrait of her from this photo, her expression's great. Love those serene eyes and relaxed mouth, it's fantastic. So cool.

Yeah, I haven't been pasteling either. It's bad. I haven't done much of anything lately in july, which is odd since I'd gotten back to daily art habit. Weather and body energy stuff.

Yesterday was our anniversary. July 6, 2000 was when my friend Andrew Holko came back from visiting his daughter Katy in Indiana with a tiny six week old fluff ball. He fit in one hand, looked almost totally round and was about 3/4 fur with a tiny double mask on one end and a tiny little smoky tail on the other. Inside all the hair he was not much bigger than a mouse, his head no wider than my thumb. He went to sleep in my hand. I didn't move my hand for almost an hour.

Now he's 15lb and grew into his hair and he's spread out over my entire lap. I don't move for an hour or two at a time several times a day. Some habits are easy to fall into and just don't change.

We celebrated his Home Day with catnip and he got blissfully stoned. Then today was New Bag Day since my home carer did the month's shopping, so he was literally yodeling for joy after his first taste of "lamb and potatoes and peas" flavor. He did the full voice Rowdy Cat Song and then came and snuggled instead of racing around the room, so this performance was more just yodeling for joy.

Barbara, hope the cat in your neighbor's garage got over the fireworks and found a good place to stay!

blr2449
07-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Deirdre: She's beautiful! :heart: I have the feeling we will be seeing lots of Erin Lily, painted by Grandma.

Robert: Yes he came out and is now back on our front porch with his brother and his 'uncle'. LOL

*Deirdre*
07-08-2015, 04:03 AM
Thank you both! I took the picture....and got her parents permission to post it to the WC library so that those who like painting babies can practice away!:smug: :lol:

BTW...is it me...or has the Pastel Journal gone for an inferior paper for it's cover? The inside's alright...but the cover in not nice to handle! Maybe it's just me....I react to textures a lot...and that was off- putting for me!

robertsloan2
07-09-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm so glad. While it's a shock about the job, it sounds like that will be the start of a much better career. Art was the best occupation I ever held and if my health ever improved to let me earn enough to live on I'd go back to it so fast.

robertsloan2
07-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Happy news as of yesterday. The exterminator came, validated that what I'm doing by reorganizing all my stuff is why the roaches are dminishing. But, he's going to fumigate next Friday!

So that means I have to treat it like I'm going out, but take my cat and some sketching materials with me and either hang out in the lobby for three or four hours to let it do its work and dissipate, or load my cat on the walker in his cat bag and go outside to sketch. That'll depend on how I feel. It's not a heavy cat bag, only a pound or so, very light weight, it's the cat who's 15 pounds! But when I have him with me it's so easy to meet cat people. They come up to tell me how cute my cat is. Then they talk about their cat and lo, we're on the way to cool acquaintance.

But the fumigation will take some preparation. The exterminator's firm on this. All pictures have to come down from the wall. The first time he saw my room with maybe 40 or more sketches pinned and taped to the walls here and there and everywhere, he got this look on his face like ugh, that's where they nest. It's harder to take down the ones that are just taped up or pinned with push pins.

So now I'm catching up with a bunch of frames I bought on two different Blick orders. I do like them, was just waiting to feel good enough to cut mats to use them. Very exciting and I've been working on this for two days. I think the weather's picking up now!

robertsloan2
07-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Ah, joy! Checked temp and today it's 71 degrees. This has been the best day of the year for me physically. I stopped when my back hurt and got up again and again.

I unpacked a painting I bought from Sarah_Rose months ago at last and cut its mat, framed and hung it. Here's how it looks next to the Red, Red Rose that I also matted and framed today or yesterday. Can't remember which I matted when. No, the Rose was today too and I also cut the piece for the 16" x 20" mat. Just have to decide what goes in it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2015/70184-7-11-2015_Rock_and_Rose_Framed.jpg

The reflections on the glass are more pronounced in the photo than life, or maybe in person I'm more used to ignoring them. They weren't that extreme though. The angle I took it isn't my usual angle at the computer.

It's so satisfying to get a lot done!

DBfarmgirl
07-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Barbara- I hope the change from working is going ok. It took me months to quit feeling like I was supposed to be somewhere after I left my job. I hope things work out well for you, it is a BIG change.
Otis is very much enjoying his new puppyhood, He's such a big dog that 11 years old is considered very old, but you wouldn't know it to see him lately.

Dierdre- Congratulations on the new baby. She's beautiful. I hope you feel settled in soon, moving is at best difficult.

Robert- I hope they get your living space back to normal soon. I'm hoping they've got the elevator fixed by now. The paintings look great in the frames, don't you just love having a matcutter?

It was sunny yesterday, first day in quite a while. We have had to deal with so much rain the last month and a half, the sun was dreamy. Everything is so soggy here, as soon as it rains, everything floods again. the corn is still in standing water after last weekend's rains. On the plus side, I have never seen so many mushrooms, both in quantity and variety, in my life. I keep taking walks in the woods to see if any new types have come up. And keep laughing at the color "mushroom grey", whoever came up with that color description hasn't been on a walk with me.

robertsloan2
07-13-2015, 09:13 AM
DB, you're so lucky. Ari is fifteen and he doesn't know it either, still bangs around like a giant kitten.

Oh, I hope so. I've been conducting my own battle against the invaders, sealing unused paper in plastic, eliminating stored paper goods that aren't art paper, stirring up anywhere they hide and using my shoe or jsut stomping. It has been helping but that's a lot of effort. I'm looking forward to the fumigation, especially if I get a good day. It's actually diminished quite a bit since I first asked for it thanks to the heavy housekeeping but that doesn't do much for my painting time.

Send some of your excess rain this way! LOL the mushroom grey. That's probably what you get scumbling the colors of all the mushrooms over each other or putting them in the blender!

Must be beautiful though. Wish I could visit and go on a sketch walk with you, fill a sketch page or two with each of them.

blr2449
07-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Slowly getting used to being "retired". LOL Spent the last couple of days cleaning up the house so tomorrow it's for me. My sister and I are meeting up for lunch and I want to frame a pastel I did a while back. The frame is a Blick Spectrum Gallery in Gray, the mat is a darker Cad Yellow. Can't wait to finish and hang it.

Robert: I read over your explanation on framing a pastel and for the life of me I don't get it. :confused: I'll have to keep trying. But thank you. :)

DBfarmgirl
07-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Robert- You're always invited if you ever end up in Pennsylvania. It is beautiful to see, I know you would appreciate them. Wondering what new mushrooms have sprouted has kept me motivated to get Otis out for his daily walk. He seems to be getting stronger, but is still as lazy as he always was.

Barbara- I always tell people I'm retired. I felt more in control that way. You're doing well to keep busy and grab the time you have now and make the most of it. I did goofy things like making a full turkey dinner on a random Tuesday just because.

I tried to make wineberry jelly- it failed to fully set, but is still so tasty the boys have already finished one of the jars. I'm thinking ice cream topping... I figured the only way I can get my son his berry fix while he's in the Navy is to start making jelly out of all the wild berries. I have some learning to do...

Shirl Parker
07-21-2015, 11:55 AM
... I've been conducting my own battle against the invaders...
Robert, have you ever seen the film "Pacific Heights"? Your tale of invaders could be caused by a neighbor.

robertsloan2
07-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Barbara, with Spectrum frames it's pretty easy.

First, take the back board out of the frame, swinging those little metal things out of the groove. Take everything out. Throw away the paper ad. Peel the thin cellophane-like clear stuff off both sides of the acrylic glazing.

Handling it by the edges to keep it clean, rub the acrylic "glass" on your sweater, both sides. This gets the static electricity off it. Put it back in the frame.

Hinge the painting to the back of the window mat, just tape on the top so it hangs freely. Lay it down gently facing the glass. Put back board on top of it. Swing the latches back into the grooves. It's ready to hang.

Oh yeah, you should take a hammer and bang the ncluded toothed picture hanger into the side that becomes the top of the frame, portrait or landscape. Or get hardware to put two eyes and picture wire on the sides, which my home carer did for me on three frames to get my art into the GBLT center exhibit properly. Either works well. Actually it's easier to do the picture wire thing because the toothed thing smashes flat sometimes instead of going into the hard particle board of the frame, but screwing eyes in on the sides is easier.

Hope that helps!

DB - oh if I had a kitchen I would so do that. I loved fixing a full turkey dinner like Thanksgiving with all the trimmings at random, then eating on it for days and days. It's a great inexpensive treat.

Shirl, no, I've never seen "Pacific Heights." Not really my kind of thing, I tend to prefer special effects, movies based on comics, sci-fi and fantasy stuff to stories too close to real life. Just not my thing, it has to have monsters to grab me, or at least something weird.

Yeah, they may be coming in from a neighbor but there's nothing I can do about that. He uses the exterminator too. It's a very old building and sometimes they get out of hand. After the previous fumigation they were gone for a long, long time. I'm annoyed that after I did all that prep he didn't fumigate, just said that others are saying the problem's going down. Going down isn't enough.

I'm sick of having to grab the shoe and deal with it every time I do something like open a pencil bag. Dealing with it by cleanliness is not enough by itself, and churning everything I own daily to deny them a safe place to hide is more than I can do physically. The neighbor who has the problem literally does that often, will take everything out of his room into the hall and bang around n there an clean stuff and put it back, he's always moving furniture. But his health problems are different, he's big and physically vigorous while his wife's tiny and vigorous.

I'm not sure what else I can do. Moving is out of the question, rents have soared in the past four years and I'm lucky to have housing.

blr2449
07-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Robert: Hinge the painting to the back of the window mat, just tape on the top so it hangs freely.

Got it now. Thanks!!

Or get hardware to put two eyes and picture wire on the sides,

I've done this before so will do it with this one.

blr2449
07-22-2015, 10:59 PM
DB: wineberry jelly- it failed to fully set, but is still so tasty the boys have already finished one of the jars. I'm thinking ice cream topping

My grandfather used to use jelly on his pancakes instead of syrup. I do that too sometimes. Could be a good use for your jelly. Yum. Sounds good just talking about it. :)

robertsloan2
07-23-2015, 01:58 AM
Wineberry jelly sounds so yummy! Mmm!

robertsloan2
07-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Oh, my own addiction got the better of me. I got another Blick order... this is why I run out of sandwich fixings toward the end of the month and wind up eating ramen or oatmeal. But I always get the cat food at the top of the month because Ari deserves his favorite top quality extra-high-protein super food. Literally once he switched to "better than premium" it seems to have knocked his age back by four or five years. He is a supremely healthy cat.

But this latest time, it's almost a tipping point. I have almost everything I Really Wanted from Blick. That's a heady recognition. My cart is full again for the next order but half of it's replacements for stuff used up.

The big item that's lazing its way out of Illinois dawdling toward Kansas is 50 sheets of Canson Mi-Tientes in five 10-pack colors assortments. When that arrives, (drumroll), I will actually at last have at least one sheet of every color they have. I wanted that ever since I first saw the paper back in the 1980s. No, it was in the 70s. "Wow that's a lot of colors. They're all so cool. How can I choose?"

Except that I did. Again and again. I even used odd colors like pale pink occasionally. Colors that I loathed turned out to make great backgrounds. Colors I loved just as colors worked too in different ways. I've been a color nut all along... and Canson M-T is so far beyond childhood pleasures like a pack of construction paper that I'm thrilled.

I don't know why I waited so long. It's startling in retrospect. I could easily have done that back in 1990 when I was doing all those tourist sketches on Mi-Tientes, stocked up and then replenished when I got to the last quarter sheet. I thought about it every time I went into a brick and mortar store and looked at the display. Then I'd choose the colors I used most and a couple of new ones and thought I'd eventually get it together gradually. Never happened, I used them up and didn't replace the less used colors. Lost about 25 sheets in a move that turned desperation anyway, that was the closest I'd gotten.

But now I've got that dang display at home, as easy as crossing the room when it arrives next week. From now on if I lack inspiration I can get it just by staring at the paper stack and pull out a color I haven't used yet, see what wants to be painted on it. That's always been a starting point for me. I used to keep all 20 of the Colourfix colors on hand with Rainbow Packs too, same general idea but a little easier in reach.

Which seems weird because compared to all the pastels I buy, spending $65 on some packs of paper would not have been a big deal. I just kept putting it off, getting stuff to paint with more than stuff to paint on. Under $80 with the additional 8 colors not in the packs and two extras to get the bulk price drop (effectively two free sheets, I got Black and Moonstone, two favorites I know I use up fast).

So I am really happy about this. I've got some replacement items loaded in the cart for next time, it's not the last time I'll shop at Blick. But this is one of the biggest emotionally and maintaining it is going to be ongoing. The first thing I'll do is cut down the sheets and put a piece of each into storage, so when I'm down to that last piece I reorder that color.

robertsloan2
07-28-2015, 11:58 AM
And, just for fun...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2015/70184-7-28-2015_Skull_002.jpg
8" x 10" Itoya Profolio with Memento Mori sitting on it. Feel free to sketch!

I posted a photo in the Art Supply Addicts thread, but this is also a cool reference if anyone wants to put a skull in anything. I'm happy to share so if you want to see Mori in another position, just tell me! He's always willing to pose. Fun guy.

I'm not sketching him till I finish my Spotlight. Or playing with my three new watercolor tubes or any other new toys. Today I'm going to work on the Stormy Skyscape. I've procrastinated way way too long!

Anyone else have a problem procrastinating on long interrupted projects?

Shirl Parker
07-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Robert, if nothing else, you could use the skull to hide small valuables. :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
07-29-2015, 11:05 AM
That would be pretty cool! Of course the most expensive small valuables I own are art supplies currently in use, which might make that look a little odd. Stuff like a size 8 Kolinsky sable pocket brush and so on will just have to go on living in my vest.

robertsloan2
08-03-2015, 02:57 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2015/70184-8-1-2015_Selfie_With_Bluebird.jpg
Got a new photo of myself yesterday, meant to post it. My mustache is starting to naturally curl at the ends, which I always liked and intended or I'd have used scissors on it. Liked this one for catching one of my framed paintings in it too!

Also still feels so good to have all of my wall art framed. New paintings are going into the Profolios until I get more frames. Then it might take a ladder to hang some of them higher on the walls!

blr2449
08-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Robert, you look very much the Parisian painter. A black beret would be awesome. :)

robertsloan2
08-03-2015, 10:30 PM
I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right! I should get one. Half the street painters in New Orleans wore them. I didn't think anyone really did until I went down there in 1990 and saw Jackson Square! But then New Orleans is really as close as you get to Paris in the USA.

DBfarmgirl
08-05-2015, 08:50 PM
I vote for a beret too!

well I'm back from camping for two weeks in Vermont and Maine. No phone, internet, news. beautiful states, tons of water. I'd really like to go for a long canoe float down the Connecticut river, a couple days at least. maybe next time. We're hoping to head up in the fall next year when there's less people.

I took my art stuff with me, even did a pastel when I was waiting for my son and husband to get back from biking.

I ended up with a sick dog and spent even more time at camp than usual. Otis is finally feeling a little better after an emergency vet visit in New Hampshire, a thankfully 24 hour vet, 15 minutes from camp.

back to reality. weedy garden, tons of laundry and a PILE of bills waiting. another vet visit, refinancing the mortgage (great lower rate!), yeah. reality sucks. It will take me a couple days to settle back in and not wake up wondering what state I'm in.

blackberrys are now in season- maybe I'll try to make more jelly. Peaches are here too, canning season is starting.
I need a vacation!

robertsloan2
08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Mmm blackberries! LOL needing a vacation after your vacation! I can see it though. Making jelly and preserves would be awesome. Sorry the dog got sick but so cool you painted while you were out there!

Sounds like you'll have fun in the fall! A dear friend gave me an unexpected present. She sent me a beautiful crystal vase and a cut glass bud vase along with a bunch of silk flowers to paint from. Not all the flowers packages are here but both vases are and several bunches of flowers.

So now I have the big crystal urn vase up on the fridge after cleaning it off with a nice arrangement of lilies-and-roses bouquet, two sprays of artificial lilacs and a bouquet of pink pansies all together. The roses thing also has fern sprays in it. That looks like a florist put it together, came out really cool.

The top of my fridge is now the official Still Life Setup Area. More flowers wll come in and I'll need to work out where to put the dishes rather than in the planter, but it's a flat reasonable height surface the cat doesn't jump on. It'll eventually have nothing but flowers, fruit, artificial fruit and the modem. If I find a better place to put the cat food tub, maybe the modem can move over onto the shelving unit.

Hmm... moving the cat food might really solve the dishes problem too.

I think I'm puttering today, or painting, or both!

DBfarmgirl
08-13-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm still in the process of catching up from vacation. I had a million cucumbers so I tried to make pickles. I think a little tweak and they'll be pretty good.

Robert- I remember how hard it was to find room for stuff when all three of us and my dog Bruno lived in a 300 sq ft apartment. We had a saying "wall space was free" If you could hang it on the wall, it was good to go. When we moved from there to this house, it was easy.

My son leaves in a month for the Navy. I'm hoping after he leaves, and I get used to him not being here, that I get more work done. Right now I'm just dreading an empty house so much I'm kind of frozen.

I just got 5 of my flower photos ready to do in acrylics, taking a break from pastels until the wood stove is lit and my paint drys too fast for acrylic, then back to pastels. Of course I hope to take pastels camping again if we go one more time this year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2015/215035-5_flowers.jpg

robertsloan2
08-13-2015, 10:26 AM
Great photos! They're fantastic. You have an incredible garden, or did you take those on vacation? Either way the photos are tremendous. Well chosen as a group too!

I can see how it'll be strange having a large house by yourself. Living with three people in a small space must have been crazy. I'm a lot happier alone with one room than if I was with a partner in a small space or banging around a huge one. But then large spaces were problematic for me so I'd retreat into one room usually.

DBfarmgirl
08-13-2015, 11:04 AM
thank you. some of the photos were from the English Garden in Acadia Maine. I stopped there the last 3 years and took photos, the light was really good this year. I take a bunch of photos from my garden too.

I always wondered if we would have been ok in a little 2 bedroom house with a couple acres. Would probably have wanted more land at some point. Our house isn't really big, I'm grateful for that especially in the winter with heating, but I know what you mean about cozy small places. I would have trouble storing my books. I'm a bit of a book hound and even though I use the library, I end up with a bunch of "gotta have" books. I do miss the simplicity of my little apartment, but my son couldn't use the kitchen as a bedroom forever....... (crib, or kitchen table...) With my husband gone for 15 hours on days he works, I sometimes feel like the last person on earth...

robertsloan2
08-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Oh wow. Yeah. It's got to be strange being out in the middle of nowhere and alone. Not the same for me always hearing neighbors playing music or talking in the hall or having arguments next door. I know people are there even if I don't stick my head out. I meet my neighbor's cat in the hall on the way to the bathroom because Miss Pretty Kitty has taken to hanging out in the hall receiving pets and adulation.

She's a little tiny gray Persian. She gets her lion cut a couple of times a year and that's when you can see how small she really is. She's due for her haircut so she currently looks like a soft gray puff ball. Had to crop and re-reduce the photo because the carpet pattern apparently made the file too big.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2015/70184-Pretty_Kitty_7-2015.jpg

There she is! We have two other feline neighbors past the stairs down, two pretty short hair black cats. They are a bit shy and look like sisters or mother and daughter, small and smaller. Ari is still the biggest cat in the building!

Oh and that's the cool carpet we have, green with pink shell designs. 1907 carpet patterns were a lot more interesting! i've been tempted to sit in the hallway one day and sketch from the carpet and wainscoting patterns.

DBfarmgirl
08-15-2015, 01:31 PM
I like a little more time alone than most people, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to go out more to keep from going crazy. I'm glad you have good neighbors there. Being surrounded by people and still being alone is harder than living in the sticks and not having people around.

I love the fluffy cat even though the picture alone could have me sneezing. I'm so allergic to cats I couldn't dream of having one. I think they would be great fun. I got my Aunt a cat a couple years ago. (all black with just the last little bit of tail being white) She lives alone, but works all day, so the cat was the perfect companion for her. I'm not sure she would ever NOT have a cat.

that carpet would look great in my house!

I finally have tomatoes! Now all our meal will include tomatoes until the first frost. Today I made fresh salsa for tacos this evening. Nothing in the world like a fresh, still warm from the sun, home grown tomato.

robertsloan2
08-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Oh that is so great! I would be making a year's worth of marinara sauce if I had a yard with tomatoes and a kitchen. It's always lots better with real ones than canned. There was also a recipe for tomatoes and onions, peppers and garlic and spices and any piece of meat pizzaiola. Good foods from my grandmother's kitchen that I wound up reconstructing in my 30s because I missed them, just fiddled till they tasted like I remembered. We used to have fresh chives and basil too, sometimes garlic.

One of these days I'll sit in the hallway and sketch each of the shells from the carpet in my sketchbook, maybe put in the pattern around them too. It's very faded but in spots I can see how vivid the colors were when it was new. I love the pattern. Maybe take a rubbing of the wainscoting pattern with a Conte crayon and some tracing paper.

If it was my apartment I'd pick out that wainscoting in soft colors rather than just leave it white, but it's not and at least the wall above it is soft green.

It's gone hot here in San Francisco, 90s and 80s the past couple of days. Makes it a bit hard to sleep or get much done. For some mysterious reason even on very hot days, the hallway is cool and comfortable. Something about the windows at each end and the shadowiness, it's just great.

You'd probably love to get a Sphinx cat. They're bald, have no hair at all, need to wear coats in cool weather because they have none. They look silly like little wrinkled Yoda cats but once I got used to the look, I thought they were cute. Petting them must be like touching a person, all bare soft skin. Huge ears without any fur to obscure the base and enormous round eyes. Sometimes they have markings where if they had fur it'd come in darker.

I'm like your aunt, would never want to be catless. Though I love my Ari best of all. After 15 years together we're like old marrieds or something, understand each other so well and get very considerate. He looks after me when I'm feeling bad and I spoil him sweet. Sometimes just hearing him thumple from the chair to the floor in the middle of the night is a sweet comfort. All's well, the cat's here and going to eat.

We have this routine where he likes to be fed five to seven times a day and will meow for it, get a few kibbles, eat only a few kibbles and then later on meow for his bowl to be filled. He's not fat, he just likes the attention.

blr2449
08-18-2015, 10:25 PM
I love reading our reminiscences, Robert. You should add them to your Book of Ari. :)

robertsloan2
08-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Thank you! Actually that's a neat thought someday, not my biography but my cat's biography from his early kittenhood to present. We've been through a lot and he's a well traveled cat!

I am still wrangling with new landlord about exterminator. I need that fumigation, put in a written request yesterday. Very frustrating. But I got a package mailed out yesterday that I'd forgotten to send earlier - finally remembered on a Tuesday when I had home carer who does errands. Did not want to try sending it with the other home carers, laundry guy wouldn't have time and Saturday gal doesn't have transportation.

robertsloan2
08-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Oh, forgot to post about it because I take them in stride, but we had another earthquake on Monday. It wasn't a big one. I was up and felt my chair moving under me, the beads on the lamps rattled, stuff swayed. Ari slept through it. Literally did not bother waking up.

No paintings fell off the wall or anything, though a couple of weeks ago someone thumped the wall by the bed from the other side and a painting dropped face down onto the bed. Thankfully my cat wasn't under it when that happened.

I enjoy the small earthquakes. They're fun. Less than the amount of shaking around you'd get riding a bus actually, it's just knowing it's an earthquake that makes it cool.

stapeliad
08-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Robert I am glad you and Ari are ok!

I enjoy the small earthquakes.

I was going to say this is odd but 1) I consider who is saying it :p and 2) I LOVE blizzards...people think I'm nuts... so I understand it!

:cat:

blr2449
08-19-2015, 08:46 PM
stapeliad I love blizzards, too!!! And in Michigan we get plenty.

Robert, glad it was a small one. :-)

stapeliad
08-19-2015, 09:19 PM
YAY a fellow snow-lover! :D :clap:

robertsloan2
08-19-2015, 09:28 PM
I used to love blizzards too if I had sufficient heat. It'd be pretty out the window and I always had enough food and stuff stocked for days by my regular habits, so I wouldn't have to go out and shop like crazy at the warning.

When I lived in Chicago around Clark and Diversey it was especially gorgeous. The snow would get thick on all the old red brick buildings and the world would get quiet. The hush was very peaceful. I couldn't paint as well then as I do now but often wished I could. Sometimes the memory of things seen when I couldn't paint sharpens once I learn better.

blr2449
08-20-2015, 10:11 PM
I loved the blizzards in New Hampshire the best, because the living room had windows on 3 sides, big comfy sofas and a soapstone fireplace. I miss having that but don't miss the ex-husband that went with it. LOL

robertsloan2
08-23-2015, 01:05 AM
Oh yeah, I always loved fireplaces. Had one a couple of times but not really in a good situation except last time, when it was at Kitten's house. She still has one in her new house.

robertsloan2
08-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Turned out my small earthquake was larger and more obnoxious in the East Bay, it was a 4.0 and caused some people some problems. Scared my home carer to death, she's grown up here but still not used to them. But she lived a lot closer to the epicenter. By the time it got to me it was barely more than a truck going past on a nearby highway.

This morning I got something a lot more annoying. The battery on my smoke detector started to give out. It screamed for attention constantly at a decibel literally painful from 6am through to 9am when someone from the building came up to change the battery. Nerve shattering constant loud alarm.

They go off occasionally for someone's burnt toast and once it was mine, but usually stop in a few minutes. Three solid hours of it was insane!

It's mounted less than a foot from the ceiling and my ceiling is about fourteen feet high, very high ceilings in this old building. There was no way to reach it. But a very tall maintenance guy with a short three step ladder finally came up, uncrewed it, fixed it and put it back. Blessed silence. I might even manage to do something today.

Ari was completely wigged out and clung to my lap while it was going on, now he's catching up on lost sleep draped on the bed.

CM Neidhofer
08-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Granddaughter Saundra's first day of kindergarten!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2015/40633-Saundras_first_day_kindergarten2_2015.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2015/40633-Saundras_first_day_kindergarten3_2015.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2015/40633-Saundra_first_day_kindergarten1_2015.jpg

robertsloan2
08-25-2015, 10:38 PM
Christine, she looks like she had a great time! Gorgeous painting she did, great color and vibrant patterns. Tell her I like her reef scene book holder.

robertsloan2
08-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Remember the coloring article I mentioned last month? It's online! Prismacolor Products Article (http://www.thecoloringbook.club/review-prismacolor-coloring-products-tips/) came out great and I love the way the editor used one of my photos to create the title image. It's fun!

Working on a new one now, so watch that site! I'll probably be doing a new article every month unless health seriously interferes.

blr2449
08-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Robert, maybe it's just me but I can't find your name attached to this article at all. Did I miss it?

Anyway, I'm going to read the article some time this week. Bravo!:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
08-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Hmm... you're right. I need to ask Manuel about that. I couldn't see the byline either.

Shirl Parker
09-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20580832#post20580832)