PDA

View Full Version : What you choice if you must choice....

JPQ
06-30-2015, 07:57 PM
What you choice if you must choice.... for example 45 itself selected colours (3 sticks of eah color) or manufacturer made 100 colour set? i ask here where i live Sennelier,Schmicnke,Unison many hues are special order only which means i must get 3 sticks each hue. i maybe prefer itsef this 45 itself choiced colours becouse many manufacturer sets have also fugitive colours. i asked this very likely earlier.ps. hard even stick one brand. but luckily i found with new lights in my new room few Schminckes looks better not so orange.(neutral greys i talk mainly).

Barbara WC
06-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Hi JPQ-

Most brands, I prefer to pick my own colors.

What do you like to paint?

I had the 63 half stick set of Unison, and found it a little limiting.

I have the 120 half stick Sennelier Paris set- there are brights and a few grays in the set- and somewhere I have a Sennelier color chart with lightfastness information...

If you are looking for grays, I think Unison has really nice grays. I just got the 120 half stick set a few weeks ago- it is a well rounded set that has natural looking colors- not the acidic bright colors of some sets- the only thing it is lacking is a good dark, dark, but it's a very nice set. I've already tried plein air painting twice with it, and it is very nice with a couple of added darks from Sennelier (or Terry Ludwig in my case).

mudfish
07-01-2015, 09:21 AM
I prefer to pick my own - most manufacturer sets have many colors I never use; but then I do mostly landscapes so my needs run to earth tones.

JPQ
07-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Unison greys are very colour to me when i compare sennelier and schmincke but sometimes such are needed. and Unison has some really nice greens. and i paint (all subjects scome my head mainly rarely use refence pics but maybe someday also this) landscapes,flowers,exotic animals,and abstracts. currently i have pastels so much i dont need currently anything else. even less when my current lighting makes some Schminkes look better what colour name gives to my mind. Old lights is more orange what current light i think. and i mostly Schmincke. i hope i can still mix brands. and luckily i dont get replacents for all hues in sametime. btw i must paint soon more. and i try show results here.

Barbara WC
07-02-2015, 09:03 PM
JPQ-

I am often amazed at the difference lighting can make on how our pastel colors look.

I took a workshop a few weeks ago- we were painting in a hotel ballroom with no natural lighting, just the awful overhead lighting.

My painting turned out okay, I was focusing on color use in skin tones. When I got the painting back to the hotel room, the colors looked completely different- and I didn't like them as well!

robertsloan2
07-03-2015, 06:36 AM
I learned a palette from Charlotte Herczfeld aka Colorix in her 2008 class "Still Life the Colourful Way." 12 color spectrum, warm and cool versions of ROYGBV - if you have trouble deciding whether the green cast blue or purple cast blue is warm, that's common and somewhat regional. The main thng is to have a version that leans toward each of its neighbors for each color in the six color spectrum.

Then at least two tints and maybe a shade of each. I substitute browns for the shades of yellow and orange to get colors that are visually "dark yellow" and "dark orange" if they aren't there - since those come out as useful olive greens, it's good to get both yellow ochre and a reddish rust color brown also with tints and a shade. Maybe six deep darks and six near white lights. That depends on how many sticks I can get whether I make do with fewer darks and super lights.

That comes to about 45 colors easily, or 60.

A deep dark violet became essential to me after trying Terry Ludwig V100 and I actually have three of those from orderng it separately twice and then getting one in the Violets set.

I treat muted colors, grays and browns as convenience colors. The high key saturated palette with tints and darks can be used with scumbling and blending, optical and physical mixing, to give any degree of muted that I want. However I can't take muted colors and brighten them. So like most of the choices in small kits, I get the saturated colors first and then tints and darks and then useful muted colors.

If you can find two other pastelists in your area, maybe sharing orders would help with splitting those "must have three of each color" open stock orders. There are ways to organize groups online and offline. One thing that worked in Chicago was to just describe the group I wished I could join on a flyer, set a date and time on a weekend and a place that's public like a cafe or restaurant. Then paste the flyer up at groceries and laundromats and anywhere I saw flyers for anything. About a dozen people showed up to the first meeting and from there we worked out a meeting schedule for the club.

One thing the art workshop group did was group orders from mail order places to get free shipping and big order discounts. We all wanted more or less the same stuff so it was easier to do that at monthly meetings.

Mike L
07-04-2015, 10:10 AM
My newbieness is showing here, but my choice would be to buy a set. When a color is used up, then buy one, or even three, sticks of that color. I've just ordered a set of El-Cheapos, and as the sticks get used I plan to buy that color (or its equivalent) in a higher quality pastel.

Obviously I'm not from Finland, but are there are some companies represented there that don't have such stringent ordering requirements?

R/Mike

mudfish
07-05-2015, 10:49 AM
My absolute favorite brand is sold only in Europe these days and is very reasonably priced - look at Winsor Newton pastels, great quality, great price.

JPQ
07-05-2015, 03:08 PM
My newbieness is showing here, but my choice would be to buy a set. When a color is used up, then buy one, or even three, sticks of that color. I've just ordered a set of El-Cheapos, and as the sticks get used I plan to buy that color (or its equivalent) in a higher quality pastel.

Obviously I'm not from Finland, but are there are some companies represented there that don't have such stringent ordering requirements?

R/Mike

Sennelier and Schmincke only anout about half hues (i think 200 for Schmincke and 180 for Sennelier) are not special order thing.which means three sticks same colour and get them when importer also orders form factory. and Unison is worst only something like 60/72 hues are directly available. only pastel brand which all hues are available is Talens Rembrandt. based few pastels they have somrhing which i dont like all talk other things hwat they feel. which is also problem.Problem what i talk is related related my allergic ? reactions.
ps. tiny 45/60 color set is mainly bright colors. current idea is for 60 colours maybe something like 8 yellows,8 reds,8 blues,8 greens,8 grays,8 browns,black,white,5 violets,5 oranges.

JPQ
07-05-2015, 03:09 PM
And these special orders go directly to importer which also sells stuff. Expect Unison where special ordering is clearlhy harder. for example importer is harder reach etc.

Barbara WC
07-06-2015, 09:18 PM
mudfish

Is Winsor Newton still making pastels? I discovered them right before they stopped selling them here, but I thought they completely stopped manufacturing them. They were among my favorites, and the sticks I still have are used with sadness knowing there won't be a replacement!