PDA

View Full Version : Dust in the art room...

Barbara WC
06-29-2015, 08:46 PM
I am cleaning out my art room, to paint the walls and rearrange furniture...

I've been working more in pastels this year in my art room than I have in the past. Before the past year, I was mainly going to weekly figure sessions and trying to work outside on my deck...

When I got to cleaning off the low bookcase across the room, there was a thick layer of dust- not surprising, because I only dust about once a year in there :wink2:

But was surprising, this dust had all sorts of colors in it (this particular low bookcase has an openwork tablecloth on it and lots of nick knacks) ...

I use an air purifier near my easel that gets filled with dust every couple of weeks, and also a drop cloth under my easel. I usually wear a dust mask (except when I'm trying to do a self portrait in the mirror!)...

Anyway, be careful out there with your pastels. I hate to think of what I've been breathing in even with my precautions! My goal now is to "declutter", taking away the tablecloth on the bookcase and removing a lot of my knick knacks from my art room to make cleaning in the future easier...

Mantra to self: simplify, simplify...

I may be selling some things in coming weeks, including a bunch of Great Americans that aren't getting any love...

AnnaLisa
06-30-2015, 08:23 AM
wow there seems to be a lot of dust that we don't see if we don't have a careful look. Even when you have an air purifier there are a lot of dust...

Do you have a small purifier?
I have a small one next to my easel in the same hight as where my face is.

Maybe one need a larger stronger one...

If it was not bad for the pastels one could have an air..dont remember the name, you know the one with water in it and out come water steem up in the air so the
dust can't move so much.

It would be good to paint with pastels outside in spring and summer, but here
it have rained almost all spring until now with only a couple of warm days.
But the problem is that you can't paint from a computer because of the light.

Good luck with your art room.

Barbara WC
06-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks Anna Lisa!

I too paint with a small air purifier - it is on a desk at the height of my pastel boxes next to my easel. I am amazed at the amount of dust that gets trapped in there. The one I have pulls air in through the front, and it exits out the back. I used to have one that the air went in the front, and left at the top, but I found that one to blow too much of the dust around...

I'm going to probably get one for on the floor to use when I'm not in there...

Removing knick knacks will help- then I can dust more often :)

We've had a dry spring here in California, and I used to take my pastels out on my deck to paint, but unfortunately, I've developed allergies so bad here that I can't be outside in my backyard long. We are hoping to move next year :) (not just because of my allergies!)

robertsloan2
07-04-2015, 01:39 AM
Oh definitely remove knick knacks. Years ago despite a fondness for fossils and various othr interesting still life objects I found out that keeping them out on shelves was a bad idea. Not just because my cat plays Drop Things but the sheer amount of house dust on stuff - something I'm more allergic to than pastel dust. It helps now to have home care.

Barbara WC
07-04-2015, 03:03 PM
All-

I've recently had the thought that maybe having the desktop air purifier right next to the easel while painting might not be a good idea. Even though the air purifier does catch lots of dust while i paint (as evidenced by the amount of dust in the pre-filter after just a couple of paintings), I now suspect that the air purifier actually might be creating air currents that are blowing the dust around my room.

My new idea is to put the air purifier further from the easel, on the floor, and to run after I'm done painting and after I've cleaned up my easel area...

In another thread, I posted how I capture dust at the easel that falls off the painting. I paint with about 6 sheets of newsprint between my painting and the backing board. This helps cushion the painting surface, and prevents any marks from the backing board from transferring onto my painting. I fold up about 3/4" of the bottom of the newsprint and secure the sides with masking tape. This little shelf collects a lot of dust! After I'm done painting, I roll up the sheet of newsprint with the collected dust and throw it away.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2015/138866-Newsprint_dust_catcher.jpg

Also helps not to blow, brush off or tap your painting while working- if I need to do one of those, I take my painting outside.

also helpful is wearing a dust mask. I find this N95 mask the most comfortable, this style is most comfortable for my small face, and it doesn't fog up my glasses: http://www.natlallergy.com/n95-mask-with-respirator-valve-10-per-pack.html

I've tried the Totobobo, but just didn't find it very comfortable...

Robert- yes I think you are right. Taking the knick knacks out will help a lot- they just collect dust. They are little mementos from high school and college- they can be moved to the office or my bedroom...I could imagine that Ari found your fossils very tempting!