PDA

View Full Version : Golden's course pumice gel...

Jay-bird77
06-25-2015, 06:33 PM
I recently started using a sanded surface for my pastel painting. I actually liked the fact that with the inability to paint many layers of pastel
I would put much more studying my subject to plan a lot better I've grown a little in my opinion anyway!
I purchased the Golden's introductory set of surfaces, fine pumice gel, acrylic grounds for pastels,silverpoint and others.
I really liked a in-between tooth by mixing the fine pumice gel and the acrylic grounds together!
I just bought Golden's 8oz. Jar of course pumice gel.
I had no idea how unsubtle it was to paint on! It's rougher than a cinder block!
My question is can I buy a 8oz jar of extra fine pumice gel and mix it with the course stuff?
I tried applying the course stuff with a brush but it's too thick so I used a palette knife. What if I mixed in some water? I'm guessing that that's probably not going to work but adding some extra fine in with the course if I can come up with a suitable surface for my pastel painting?!
And of course your input is very much appreciated!

*Deirdre*
06-25-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm moving this over to our Talk section...but of course...I'll leave a redirect, just in case!:wave:

Donna T
06-25-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't see why you couldn't mix the coarse gel with the extra fine. I use Golden's fine pumice gel and always dilute it with a little water. It's so thick that covering the paper would be a chore if it wasn't thinned a bit. I find that it works best if I mix in a little water at a time, adding more until it is like thick cream. Maybe you could try diluting your coarse gel to see how you like it before you invest in another jar of gel. I also sand my surface very lightly when it's dry - there is a lot of tooth in the fine gel! Let us know how it goes!

kentiessen
06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
If the texture is too coarse, mixing it with a finer one will spread it out, but not eliminate it. Just about any acrylic medium would thin and make it more 'crushable. I would suggest having a range of textures- coarse to fine. Test them and just use the one (or combination of two) that works. The others may not ever be used up, unless you would like to mix them into paint and use them on a porch.

Moqui Steps
07-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Try sanding it down once fully dry like Donna mentioned. You can "adjust" the texture fairly quickly that way.