PDA

View Full Version : Emma

D.Burns
06-22-2015, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone. I'm quite nervous to make my first post as I only started to learn how to paint in January 2015 and have been very much a lurker. I'm finding this forum a treasure trove of information, so figured I might jump in with my latest acrylic attempt.

I learned a lot with this one. Firstly, I worked on canvas-style paper to see how it would go and it worked really well, with minimal buckling. Secondly, I put the effort into doing a sketch first and this was a revelation! The painting almost painted itself after this.

Anyway, I feel there are some problems with this, but I must call it done and move on. Everyone important, including the child's mother, loves it - so it has already served a purpose.

Painting is A2 size and a photo reference was used.

Thanks in advance for any comments/feedback.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2015/1972555-Emma.jpg

ColinS
06-23-2015, 02:12 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

You should be very happy with this. I think it has turned out really well, especially the figure of the little girl. You have got that really well. It is amazing how useful preliminary planning like sketches can be. I always find it helps the painting along a great deal. When I skip that I regret it.

I hope you continue to post your work. Also consider participating in our monthly challenge Different Strokes at the top of the page. It is a good way to get into trying different subjects, styles, ideas.

D.Burns
06-23-2015, 04:00 AM
Thank you. I think I've been converted to trying to nail down a sketch, even though I'm not very good at drawing. I'll be sure to check Different Strokes out!

GarnerArt
06-23-2015, 05:35 AM
Well done with this one. I'd never have guessed you've only been painting for such a short time. I'm not surprised the child's mother loves your painting.

One suggestion that you keep in mind for future paintings: shadows are important in a painting as they set the mood and show the strength and quality of the light. Be careful though, not to make them too strong and dark. The viewer should be drawn to the subject without the shadow distracting from that. I feel in this painting the shadow is just a touch too dark and therefore a little distracting. Not that I'd change it in this image - you don't want to risk spoiling this - but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Great job, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

D.Burns
06-23-2015, 05:51 AM
Excellent feedback, GarnetArt, thanks.

I was aware that the shadow was pretty strong, and "in the flesh" it doesn't look so dark as the photo, but in the end I think I erred on the side of effect, perhaps a bit too much!

I love the interplay of light and shadow, so balancing them is an enjoyable challenge.

cem
06-23-2015, 07:48 AM
A delightful first post! Keep up the good work!

gaykir
06-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Cem is right, it's just delightful! You've managed to capture that feeling of awe from a child looking at the sea. Really a sweet painting.

LavenderFrost
06-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Very sweet painting.

Dcam
06-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Very Nice. Welcome to the forum. A lovely little slice of life here in your painting.
Derek

Charlie's Mum
06-23-2015, 05:21 PM
A warm welcome to uir corner!
This is a delightful first painting - yes the shadow is too strong, but you realise that and will think more next time - this has been a big learning curve for you and you're through with flying colours!:)

Well done in planning first! Too many people don't and then have to correct.

Keep painting and sharing:) ... and yes, do join us for the diff. Strokes challenges - a great way to learn:)

D.Burns
06-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Thanks all. As I live quite isolated and am self taught (YouTube is an amazing thing), it is very encouraging to have such feedback. It has inspired me to work hard on my next piece. Will post when it's done!

jocko500
06-23-2015, 09:12 PM
you doing good