PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned

UnknownArtist
06-21-2015, 08:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-21-2015/79610_abandoned_sm_ul.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Abandoned
Year Created: 2015
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Full critique please.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Questioning all of it: color, composition, brushwork/linework, use of contrast, use of a specific color, perspective. . .

Lynne Geary
06-22-2015, 04:27 AM
Wow very atmospheric. Love the colours in the sky.

GirlArtDork
06-22-2015, 11:10 AM
So post apocalyptic. Love the mood colors.

La_
06-22-2015, 11:13 AM
is that a couple people in the sky?

la

Wassie
06-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Everything you questioned looks great to me. I love the colorful sky. It may be "abandoned" but remnants still standing tall and proud.

UnknownArtist
06-23-2015, 01:45 AM
Lynne, GirlArtDork, La, Wassie,

Thanks for your input and reactions to this piece.
La, those are not people, unless you see them as such, that is okay with me, but the idea I started with turned out to be something entirely different. I left it there to add interest. Is it distracting to your eye?

Wassie's comment offered the general idea for leaving the lines there.

I appreciate the feedback. :)

La_
06-23-2015, 07:09 PM
it is a little distracting, being that they're above the sun, that's what made me think people, heading to heaven, but then they're not heading towards the light so it didn't make sense ... or maybe buildings in the distance, but then they're corralling the sun, sort of, and that didn't make sense.
the drama is grand, it's a strong piece and maybe these questions coming from it are a good thing, but twer it mine i'd fade the two distant posts or swap places with the sun and the posts.

la

UnknownArtist
06-24-2015, 12:24 PM
it is a little distracting, being that they're above the sun, that's what made me think people, heading to heaven, but then they're not heading towards the light so it didn't make sense ... or maybe buildings in the distance, but then they're corralling the sun, sort of, and that didn't make sense.
the drama is grand, it's a strong piece and maybe these questions coming from it are a good thing, but twer it mine i'd fade the two distant posts or swap places with the sun and the posts.

la
Thanks La for your insight and feedback. I find it very interesting where our thoughts go when we view something seemingly out of place. It could be a figment of my imagination :lol: . . . I can't be bothered enough with it to move the sun. Ponder Ponder! Drama and questions, that works! Thanks again La!

Bevahlee
06-24-2015, 03:47 PM
abstract or realism. That is the question. The sun and clouds are quite realistic but the bars, glyphs, pillars, or whatever seem quite abstracted. Is it Valhalla? Could be, but when you make something that realistic, one wants to "make sense" of it. So I'm a thinkin, the pillars might repeat the cloud shapes within them (like being reflected off some metallic surface, or the pillars could be repeated within the cloud shapes, something to pull it all together. It has yin and it has yang but they are not connected.

UnknownArtist
06-25-2015, 12:52 PM
abstract or realism. That is the question. The sun and clouds are quite realistic but the bars, glyphs, pillars, or whatever seem quite abstracted. Is it Valhalla? Could be, but when you make something that realistic, one wants to "make sense" of it. So I'm a thinkin, the pillars might repeat the cloud shapes within them (like being reflected off some metallic surface, or the pillars could be repeated within the cloud shapes, something to pull it all together. It has yin and it has yang but they are not connected.

Wow Bevahlee, I like what you have done and this certainly looks more abstract than realistic. In my mind it is an abandoned fence and the sun is low and setting. Valhalla, interesting indeed. This piece started as something entirely different so I tried to make some sense out of it by going with the flow hahaha! I did not want to say what it was to me before the viewers reacted. Great feedback and input. Thanks so much for taking the time to share. :)

Tennessee artist
06-25-2015, 07:26 PM
looks good Kenya :) just sayin!

Aiylah
07-29-2015, 06:30 AM
Hey! :) :) this painting looks great - dramatic and atmospheric, very bold :) Hope you're well and glad the painting is going strong!

UnknownArtist
07-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Hey! :) :) this painting looks great - dramatic and atmospheric, very bold :) Hope you're well and glad the painting is going strong!
Heyyyyy!!!! Good to hear from you :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I kind of like it too, so it is hanging on the wall now. Another is in the making :wink2: well the canvas is totally black. :eek: whispering sweet nothings at first but now its yelling "pick up the brush" :lol:

Thanks for sharing! So good to hear from you.

garyk
07-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Dramatic and original. Like it heaps.

Aiylah
07-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Heyyyyy!!!! Good to hear from you :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I kind of like it too, so it is hanging on the wall now. Another is in the making :wink2: well the canvas is totally black. :eek: whispering sweet nothings at first but now its yelling "pick up the brush" :lol:

Thanks for sharing! So good to hear from you.

I must keep an eye out for future postings from you then :) I've had quite a lull in the painting scene but just finished a big one a couple of days ago, I might post it! Nice to be back around here :) happy painting! pick up the brush :lol:

Anfair
07-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Like everything about it include the mysterious posts!

UnknownArtist
07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
I must keep an eye out for future postings from you then :) I've had quite a lull in the painting scene but just finished a big one a couple of days ago, I might post it! Nice to be back around here :) happy painting! pick up the brush :lol:
Yes, yes I will! Hope to paint some this weekend. Yes post your work! It has been too long for sure.

Thanks garyk and Anfair, appreciating the feedback and reactions. :)

Aiylah
07-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Yes, yes I will! Hope to paint some this weekend. Yes post your work! It has been too long for sure.

Thanks garyk and Anfair, appreciating the feedback and reactions. :)

I've posted in the oil painting forum, for now! :) :clap:

FandangoArt
08-10-2015, 04:25 PM
I like this piece. Very post apocalyptic, especially,with orange and black so dominant. I quite enjoy the bits above the sun shape. Seems like we built to high in our quest for "more" and were eventually forced to "Abandon".
My favorite thing about more abstract work is what the viewer decides is the story. They are each so unique.

UnknownArtist
08-13-2015, 02:26 AM
I like this piece. Very post apocalyptic, especially,with orange and black so dominant. I quite enjoy the bits above the sun shape. Seems like we built to high in our quest for "more" and were eventually forced to "Abandon".
My favorite thing about more abstract work is what the viewer decides is the story. They are each so unique.
Thank you, FandangoArt. I find interpretations very interesting to read. I agree, the viewer gets to decide the story. Shows how unique we each are, finding our own story in a painting.

I do appreciate you sharing. :)

bvanevery
08-17-2015, 11:05 PM
The foreground is great, don't touch it.

My only real complaint is there's something about the brushy beams of sunlight that feel gimmicky. Like they're inspired from cheap velvet paintings, of the sort you see of Elvis for sale on a roadside somewhere. I am wondering if I'd feel the same way about a higher resolution image of the work. Sometimes the web doesn't translate all aspects of a painting.

It may only be a personal bias and inconsequential. However if it bugs you as well, then explore doing something about it. It would be ok to ship the painting as is, but somehow I feel those lines are not working. Messes with the depth reading, sort of screams "look this way!" instead of letting, say, atmospheric perspective do the work of creating a background space.

UnknownArtist
08-30-2015, 04:42 PM
The foreground is great, don't touch it.

My only real complaint is there's something about the brushy beams of sunlight that feel gimmicky. Like they're inspired from cheap velvet paintings, of the sort you see of Elvis for sale on a roadside somewhere. I am wondering if I'd feel the same way about a higher resolution image of the work. Sometimes the web doesn't translate all aspects of a painting.

It may only be a personal bias and inconsequential. However if it bugs you as well, then explore doing something about it. It would be ok to ship the painting as is, but somehow I feel those lines are not working. Messes with the depth reading, sort of screams "look this way!" instead of letting, say, atmospheric perspective do the work of creating a background space.
Maybe this is a better photo. I really need to learn how to operate my camera :lol: no adjustments to photo, as is. Thanks for the feedback. It is hanging on my wall and the sun rays you mention do not stand out so much. I'm ok with how it looks but I do appreciate your comments and feedback :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2015/79610-AbandonedAgain_sm.JPG

Bevahlee
08-30-2015, 05:40 PM
very nice.

bvanevery
08-31-2015, 11:16 AM
That 2nd photo is much more detailed. I don't find the "sunbeam lines" objectionable as they work fine with the other textures and don't overpower. I think your 1st, hasty? photo probably enhanced the lines by some kind of electronic processing effect and ignored other things. The painting itself is done, no need to change a thing.