PDA

View Full Version : Maggie

spirothet
06-21-2015, 03:27 PM
This is a portrait of my friend's dog. Maggie passed a few months ago. She was never separated from her owner during all that time. Karen misses Maggie a great deal and I have tried to reproduce her in this portrait. I need a lot of help, so any critique you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I already see that I must lighten the darker hair. What can I do to make it more life like?

Thank you!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2015/227323-IMG_1075.jpg

water girl
06-21-2015, 07:38 PM
You are off to a great start and your finished painting of Maggie will be just fine. I've taken the liberty of putting a few lines on your reference photo, and I hope that is OK. Just double check the angle of her nose, compared with the angle of her eye. Change the angle on your painting and the eye will be looking upward. I've also added a few lines to indicate where the edge of the dark hair lines up with the edge of the nose and where the ear lines up as well. Just make a few minor adjustments and everything else will fall into place. I hope this helps and be sure to keep us updated.
I'm not great at photo shop. Don always makes this look easy.:eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2015/112055-cali..JPG

DAK723
06-22-2015, 07:30 AM
Looking good! Karen has pointed out a couple areas for you to check, but you sure have chosen a challenging angle! Before you lighten the darker hair, see if you can can get another reference photo because I would say that this photo is over-exposed. If so, then your values may be correct as is.

Don

spirothet
06-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Thank you Karen & Don. I will work on this again today. Thanks for the suggestions. Will repost when done.

spirothet
06-24-2015, 08:02 PM
I think I got the eye right now. I made some adjustments. Please give me your C & C. Thank you!

GivenToFly
06-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi Cali, im no expert by a long shot, you have done well with this, its a strange angle to be trying to capture! The only thing that is bothering me is the left side of her mouth ... If you look at the photo the points of her mouth are facing the same direction but in your drawing you have pulled the left side out to point in the opposite direction making the bottom part of her jaw look very wide, the left side is also a bit shorter than the right in the photo ... if you fixed this up I think you would just about be home :) ... you have done very well so far though!
Cheers,
Emma

spirothet
06-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all your help, but I think I'm going to call this finished. Emma I hope I understood what you were saying. Please give me a C & C. Thanks