PDA

View Full Version : Using sheet protectors with acrylics

Bastet469
06-21-2015, 01:58 AM
Hey,

I was thinking about storing my color wheel exercises in a 3-ring binder. I painted them on unprimed, 110lb index card stock. I was going to put each one in an archival quality sheet protector. My only concern is the paint sticking to the plastic since acrylic paint feels tacky even when dry. Does anyone have any experience with storing their work this way?

-wendy

thetech
06-21-2015, 05:53 AM
I wouldn't do it, after a week you will probably never get them out of the sheet protectors. Try photo mounts instead, the corner ones. They are cheap and work well and you should be ale to buy them locally. It also makes removal and reinsertion into the book easy.

Lady Carol
06-21-2015, 08:38 AM
I agree with thetech. It will stick.

idylbrush
06-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Have you considered a three hole punch with glasseine in between.

Davkin
06-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Ditto on the glassine, anything else is risky.

tinalewis
06-25-2015, 03:02 PM
I've been placing my paper and loose canvas sheet paintings in these presentation books (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Quality-Presentation-Display-Book-Folder-Portfolio-Black-In-A5-A4-A3-A2-/221423456175?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item338dddcfaf) with no problem. 2 Paintings to a pocket back to back.

Mike L
06-26-2015, 10:28 AM
I use both clear glassine (a wood product) photo protectors and the clear vinyl document protectors for color charts and other reference exercises on paper/Bristol board. Several months in the document protectors hasn't developed any sticking, yet. It is a super handy way to store and keep track of those smaller pieces not meant for display. Just make sure the paint has cured - it is just another form of plastic, after all.

If there is any concern about sticking, a thin coat of varnish should ease those concerns. But, again, make sure everything is cured and finished drying.

They are also great for photograph proof sheets. I've had some stored that way for 20+ years and nothing sticks.

Oh, yeah, I use a brand of protector that does not have or create a static charge, even sliding the plastic paint against the plastic envelope. They are a bit heavier and a bit more expensive than many others, but well worth the cost.

R/Mike